• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Help needed - rear brake squealing like a Foghorn and vibrating.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
So after about 20 miles into my maiden outing on my new E-Sentier hardtail this morning, and having though i had beded in the brakes on a quick ride last night, the rear brake started squealing badly, like a foghorn, and sending a lot of vibration through the bike. No idea why, and never had this problem before. Bike is an E-Sentier Hardtail, with Guide RE's. Any help appreciated as at this point i am thinking of just getting a new rotor.

IMG_1992.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes 180mm has solved the issue, along with not strangling the hose by doing the tie up too tight. Braking has actually improved as a result too, far more progressive on the rear now , was a bit on/off with the 200mm.

Coastsider

Aug 24, 2018
Montara, California
Seems you have this fixed now but I had the same issue but on the front disc with the Magura set up on my Moustache Race 8, howling monkey. Solution: clean disc with brake cleaner (use gloves) resurface disc and pads with 200 grit sandpaper on a flat surface, clean again with brake cleaner. Then here's the important part, the pads need to be bedded in properly so the surface of the disc gets a coating of pad material. 12 fast and hard repeated short braking applications to do this and my brakes were blissfully quiet again.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yeah i fully cleaned and resurface the disc and made no difference - the issue here is particular to this model of bike, and i think a design fault more than anything else - the noise isn't form the brakes, although it appears to be when it manifests itself - its actually the frame resonating.

smokey_jo

Patreon
Jun 28, 2018
Uk
I'm not sure that noise is coming from the frame. My front Deore brake is currently making that exact same noise. I've pretty much nailed it down to pads getting contaminated at the caliper by a bad seal ( Deore are known for this). If you're caliper has a sticky piston that points to a badly fitting seal in the caliper which could weep fluid into the pads. If your noise returns that's what if look at next

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles