Help needed - Boxxer fork using too much travel.

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
I’ve had a blast riding my favorite trails with my boxxer fork. They’re only intermediate trails and with my compression set at maximum and air pressure at 120 psi I use all of my travel. I have not had it bottom out but the amount of travel is a little concerning.

It feels to me like a lack of compression damping; with 25% sag and in standard tune, the Boxxer seems to blow through travel and sit deep in the travel too easily. Rebound is set to fast and compression is at max. I feel it is just a case of not enough dampener support and the fork is using too much travel for the situation.

Anyone have experience with this?

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
Screenshot_20200816-180846.jpg

Base setting from rockshox app for the 180mm boxxer select.

richie_Kenevo

Apr 23, 2022
New Brunswick
120 sounds way low. At 100kg I think 155 is suggested. This gives 20percent sag. 3 tokens stop the bottoming.

Excellent advice as I am 100 kg on a Boxxer with 3 tokens, and 138 psi. It's going thru 95% travel on 1.5-2 ft jumps so I am going to put it to 155 psi today and test it. The reason why I had it at 138 psi was that I wanted the fork a little squishy and not too firm. After riding it for a few hours increasing the pressure to 155 psi should still have the feel I want from the fork and reduce how much travel it goes thru.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
I’ve had a blast riding my favorite trails with my boxxer fork. They’re only intermediate trails and with my compression set at maximum and air pressure at 120 psi I use all of my travel. I have not had it bottom out but the amount of travel is a little concerning.
If you don't have separate low speed compression then you might want to try taking a token or two out and then run higher pressure in the fork. That should make it sit higher in the travel but still make full travel as it won't ramp up as quickly. Also, check you're not running too much rebound damping and making the fork pack down.

Running high speed compression fully closed to reduce travel must feel horrible - surely you want to up the pressure and have the fork still able to move? Lots of high speed compression damping is only needed if you want to land big air and not blow through the travel on an otherwise appropriately sprung fork.

Disclaimer: I may not know what I'm talking about.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles