Spend Gordon's money. AXS or XTR on the e-zesty

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I don't even have it yet but it'll be getting an upgrade while I build it. And I need some advice from the SRAM riders and experts as the only SRAM I have is on my e-gravel bike.

I have secured one of only 4 e-zestys coming into Oz sometime in July. It's an AM9 in medium. It comes with a mix of NX eagle and GX eagle and average at best brakes. My current bikes are a pair of Meridas both built on a full Shimano XT 11 speed set up with XT four pots. I couldn't get a higher spec for the e-Zesty but that suits me as I really want to do a "dream" build on this bike. This will be my light weight bike. And potentially my only acoustic as my Trek Fuel EX is on a long term loan.

I will be putting Shimano 4 pot brakes on it. I like my XT brakes power and feel plus I can share pads and I know how to bleed them and have mineral oil in the shed. The LaPierre will likely have XTR four pot brakes with 203mm rotors front and rear fitted. Also I really want to try the AXS dropper. Stupid money but you only live once. Up front probably a 160mm Lyrik Ultimate. I'll ride the rear shock and see how I feel about it.

Then I have two options. A Shimano 11 speed setup to make it fully compatible (wheels, spares etc) with my current bikes. I could share wheels and the bikes basically become spares if I need to move components. I'm not convinced 12 speed offers any benefit over 11 speed on an e-bike and I think 11 speed might be a bit more durable (especially 11 speed chains) but I might weight weenie to XTR. I am very happy with my 11 spd XT setup on my bikes now.

The cassette is a PG 1230, which I believe is based on a Shimano freehub. Is that correct? Makes it easy to do an XT/XTR setup. Changing it will save a huge chunk of weight.

The other option is a full AXS setup. This probably means new wheels, which I can't swap with my current bikes. So I'll need advice there too. Aluminium but good. 35mm internal on the rims. But OTH it'll be super slick usage. And a wickedly clean cockpit. But I've never ridden SRAM on a mountain bike and I don't know what differences to expect between that and Shimano. Plus the 12 speed. Will I be going through chains? Another thing is finding a kit without the cranks and axel. They're no use to me on an eBike. I don't think the LaPierre can use them. Plus if I can find a pair of 165 cranks I'd rather have that length. So far in Oz I can't get the shifter separately but I haven't looked super hard.

Price is a factor, I'll consider but I can afford both options. AXS is very tempting except that I would end up with four sets of wheels if I go the XT route. Either is more than I'll ever need in a bike. I don't pretend to be any good. At least the LaPierre will be a bit more of a workout than my Meridas. I mainly plough through technical, rooty, rocky terrain on dusty tracks here in Oz. This will be the bike I take to Derby later this year or early next. It'll also be the bike I take when I travel in Oz by ground (as well as my gravel bike). I still intend to keep my e-160 and my hardtail.

So what would you do? And why?

What ever I choose I want to order in the next two weeks. The bike arrives July and I want everything here and ready to install when the bike arrives.

Thanks.

Gordon

p.s. I picked the LaPierre over the Levo SL for four reasons. Firstly it's a 27.5, which I prefer. Secondly I have a gravel bike with a Fazua motor so I have two batteries already (three in total) and a motor if something goes wrong. Thirdly it's super quiet. Finally even with a full AXS setup it'll be significantly less than a Levo SL Sworks.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I'll recommend Shimano 4-pot brakes in the combination of BL-MT501and BR-MT520.
Quite cheap and very good performance.

Casette: SLX 11 spd.
Chain: SRAM 1130

Thanks but I wouldn't go less than XT because it's what I have and I can keep 1 set of spare parts for all my bikes rather than worry about having spares for different level components. Also this isn't a budget build. Price is not the most important consideration. I do want to keep the weight down where possible. That's kind of the point of an e-zesty compared to my Merida, for me.

What I'm really torn on is the drivetrain upgrade. XT 11spd to match what I have (again for components and spares) or AXS for the pleasure of top performance.

Thanks for your input.

Gordon

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
220/223MM rotes out front

I have 203's on my current bikes. That'd be a lot of adaptors and rotors for four sets of wheels. The 203's have not had a problem stopping me yet. I don't pretend to be either super quick or a downhill rider. Think more fat middle aged guy blasting along blue and red trails. :)

Thanks for your input.

Gordon

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
with the smaller battery you might find you need the eco setting more and want the the 50 tooth vs the 11 sp 46 depending if you have steep stuff around you, or not.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
Thanks but I wouldn't go less than XT because it's what I have and I can keep 1 set of spare parts for all my bikes rather than worry about having spares for different level components. Also this isn't a budget build.

I like XT too :)
Got XT on the Jam2 and SLX on LevoTurbo atm.
XT is a bit nicer in feel, but in real-world performance on a emtb it's allmost the same as SLX (i can't feel any difference TBH)
XT/SLX is both good choices...but I'll stay away from 12spd.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I still think that 11 speed XT is the best mechanical drive train option for an EMTB, for me perfect blend of reliability/strrength/shifting smoothness. The ability to multi shift both ways is essential for me.

However I would be very tempted by AXS, its great to use and install, and I think on an E-Zesty going with a 12 speed makes sense, since on the Fazua bikes you end to ride them more like a normal bike in terms of how you interact with the gears, i.e using the full spread of gears. The big cog will definitely see some use.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
On my Vitus e-sommet it’s shimano 10speed I upgraded shifter to a Saint shifter which I had, it’s a very light & smooth action better than XX1 on my analog bike, plus don’t think you need more than 10speed generally on an ebike.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@flash You asked about the differences between Sram and Shimano. I will comment on shifters, others will comment on brakes and gearing. But it seems to me that if you are already a Shimano person, with other Shimano bikes, then you may as well stick with them. They are fierce competitors with each other and have comparable products at all price points. They differ slightly one from another. I have in recent years come to the view that Sram are the innovators and Shimano are the developers. Sram come to market first, then Shimnao come along later and maybe do it better, but are hampered by the patents that Sram have locked up.

Shifters:
The main difference between Sram and Shimano on shifters that is immediately noticeable and makes a difference is the two-way shifting of Shimano vs the one-way of Sram.

On both, the big lever is operated one way by pressing with the thumb. On Shimano you can press or pull the small lever to trigger the shift. That means that with Shimano you can trigger the small lever with either thumb or forefinger. In my opinion it works better with the forefinger. On Sram, you can only trigger the small lever with a thumb push.

This is a seemingly insignificant change in moving from Sram to Shimano or the other way around. But if you have mismatched Sram/Shimano brake/shifter combos then it matters a lot. It is not impossible to get them to work together in terms of position, but you have to make a few compromises. Also, if you are used to Shimano thumb/forefinger operation the thumb-only use of Sram seems awkward and there is always that slight hesitance as you realise that your finger isn't going to do it. Until you get used to it. If you are used to Sram, the thumb shift on the small lever of Shimano is not nearly as good. It works, of course it does, it just doesn't feel the same.

I was a Shimano boy for most of my mtb life solely because that was what my bikes came with, it wasn't my choice and it was something I never gave a second's thought to. I bought a Sram-equipped bike without that second thought. After a bit of initial awkwardness, I realised that I preferred the Sram shifters because I could shift and front brake at the same time. I also very much prefer the Sram Matchmaker system for mounting brakes and shifters on one clamp, to the I-spec system of Shimano. The Sram Matchmaker system is a work of genius! :love:

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
i was thinking of axs shifting because i cant get the xx 12 speed on the sl to consistently work well but i like shimano way more so hopefully they come out with wireless Di2 in the not too distant future

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles