Help! EP8 no workee

blackwood

Oct 16, 2019
Oregon, USA
Whenever you change out a part and the results are not as you would expect, it's a good Idea to reinstall the old part and confirm that nothing else has changed.
Yes when I have to original sensor hooked up I still get the erratic speed readings. But with the new sensor I get no speed readings, just 0.0 on the display.
Proper troubleshooting practice aside, did you check the magnet? That's something to look at. If I'm not mistaken, the sensor is a simple reed switch. You can check it with an ohmmeter while it's on the bike. Watch the reed switch open and close as the magnet moves in proximity to the sensor. First check the connector on the sensor when it's disconnected. If all is good, check it again when it's hooked up to the motor. This should give you some insight as to what is working and what is not.
I have tried it with the both the magentic on the disc and with an external magnet. Again no readings with the new sensor. I am not sure how to test it with a multimeter without cutting the cord. The plug itself is so small I cannot get the two contacts from my multimeter inside the plug to test.

I am thinking maybe the new sensor I bought was faulty. I'll order another one but it takes a couple weeks to get here, for some reason the only sensors I can find are coming from the UK and I am in the US.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I am thinking maybe the new sensor I bought was faulty. I'll order another one but it takes a couple weeks to get here, for some reason the only sensors I can find are coming from the UK and I am in the US.

Call or email Shimano's SoCal office. They might be able to help you out.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles