Help Deciding between Haibike ALLMTN 5 and Trek Rail 7

new_rider

Jul 25, 2022
Dillon, CO
Hello!

I am new to mountain biking and I am looking to get something that I will be able to take off road, learn downhill, and grow into. It has to be electric because I am too out of shape to enjoy mountain biking without it—trust me I tried.

I have narrowed my search down to two bikes:

- Haibike ALLMTN 5 and
- Trek Rail 7

Both are of similar price point and are in stock in my area. I am overwhelmed by all the specifications and could use some help. Which one would you guys and gals get?

Some thoughts:
- Trek seems to have better customer support in the USA
- The Haibike has a range extender compatible giving it up to 1kwh of battery for some crazy long range. Trek does not have this.
- The Trek Rail 7 has a bit more torque... but the same motor—how does that happen?
- Travel is comparable on both
- Haibike is in a mullet configuration... but I am not sure if this is a pro or a con

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
I own a Rail and have ridden the Haibike before. I found the front end on the Haibike is low which made it feel like I was going to go over the bars riding down steep tech terrain. Also the seat tube length on the Haibike is long preventing fitting a decent length dropper or getting the seat low for riding steeps.

Rail for the win IMHO.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Have not ridden the raiI but I got a haibike fullnine 10( wich is pretty similar i think) about 2 months ago and I'm absolutely loving it. I do not agree with the front end being to low. It was lower on the older models ( wich I was a owner of to)

About the dual battery, I had it on my previous bike giving it 1k wh. It gives the bike so much more range but it also noticeable makes it alot heavier. And the bike won't get any prettier.

With my new bike I have just got a second 625 battery that I carry in my backpack. With the seccond battery (1250wh) I've not yet run out of battery.

The haibikes motor is just the same and you can get it updated to 85nm

new_rider

Jul 25, 2022
Dillon, CO
Thanks for the tips everyone!

@Sander23 Great point about just chunking a second 625 battery in the backpack. I guess it is not too heavy for you to lug it around? I could also see a use case where you can just leave the spare in the car and swap it out on one of the laps down. Perhaps you could even charge it while you use the other one for a full day of riding.

I will go with the Trek. Here are some of my considerations:

- I like the simplicity of the 29 inch wheels on the front and the rear. I think it will be a while before I progress enough to tell the difference between mullet and a full 29er setup anyway.
- Trek Rail 7 was on sale for almost $1000. Too good to pass up.
- Someday my wife may want an eMTB and Trek makes a smaller size than the Haibike.
- I may as well get a spare 625mah battery than mess around with the range extender.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Thanks for the tips everyone!

@Sander23 Great point about just chunking a second 625 battery in the backpack. I guess it is not too heavy for you to lug it around? I could also see a use case where you can just leave the spare in the car and swap it out on one of the laps down. Perhaps you could even charge it while you use the other one for a full day of riding.

I will go with the Trek. Here are some of my considerations:

- I like the simplicity of the 29 inch wheels on the front and the rear. I think it will be a while before I progress enough to tell the difference between mullet and a full 29er setup anyway.
- Trek Rail 7 was on sale for almost $1000. Too good to pass up.
- Someday my wife may want an eMTB and Trek makes a smaller size than the Haibike.
- I may as well get a spare 625mah battery than mess around with the range extender.
Yea it has some weight on the back (3.5kg), but I don't mind that if the bike feels lighter.

Range extender is only for haibike and scott I believe, and it uses a 500wh battery pack not the 625 powertube.

Haibike has special bikes for women I believe

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles