Help Chosing first ebike, Levo SL or Orbea Rise

JJohansson

Apr 5, 2021
Sweden
Background.
My specs: 31 years old, 192cm. Corona unfit.
When I was younger, 10-15 years ago I rode alot of dirt mixed with some street and downhill.
All on a custom Dr Jekyll bike.
I loved beeing able to jump around and just having fun.

Now.
I live in middle of stockholm today and am tired of the hassle with a car.
Also missing the old days just going out for rides.
I knowledge that I´m older and fatter and most likely not as strong per kg today and wont, to a beginning try to the kind if riding I could back in the day.
I do want to be able to be able to whip around the bike, bunnyhop and manual some, hence why I´m firstly looking into these kind of lightweight bikes.
I will most likely use it for commuting to work and would first like to be able to keep the same speed that I would be able to with a road bike (if I was a bit fitter).
I want to tell my self that I also would like to get some exercise while riding.
Will most likely not be on many trails in the beginning but hopefully in the future.

Budget is maybe up to 8.000EUR
I think that I would like the Obrea Rise because its similar weight and more power than the Levo SL.
However there is a store having the Levo SL comp carbon on 20% discount which I´m strongly considering.
I´ve been away from this bike world so dont know much about the specs nowdays.

Would happily get your thoughts on what would suit me.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Both nice bikes. There's also the Forestal Syrion which just comes into your budget.

The SL will ultimately give you more range as the motor is lower powered and then tempting with the discount.

The Mahle 1.1 in the SL is pretty reliable with very few failures. The EP8 we don't know enough about yet.

Ultimately, which ever you go for, you won't be disappointed.

Pan

Oct 27, 2020
Qué. Canada
I have a full fat and my wife an SL. Your weight and your appreciation of cadence will help you choose. If you are on the heavyer side and don’t like to spin go with the Rise.

JJohansson

Apr 5, 2021
Sweden
Thanks for the insight. Prolly standing between the rise m20 and that discounted 2020 sl comp carbon.
Is the components comparable, disregarding the motor?
Then again the Rise seemingly have the same frame so I can upgrade parts I dont like I guess.

Last edited:

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
Rise is better specced for the money , obviously the 20% off the SL changes that but I still think you'll find them pretty like for like . I don't agree with the range being better on the SL , set the Rise up in the etube app to give the same max power as the SL and I don't think range would be worse at all . Beauty of the Rise is you have the option of the extra power if you want it , given what you've said I think that would suit you better .

DarrenCC

Apr 3, 2021
Hertfordshire
I know nothing about the rise but I had an SL. Amazing bike if you don’t mind putting a little effort in and can spin. It’s only been gone two days and I miss it but I want more travel. Rode a Whyte e180 today at bike park Wales and it’s a totally different cycling experience to the SL. I will give it a couple of years and I reckon I will have another SL. Fantastic bike

soundwave

May 13, 2020
Helsinki, Finland
I was where you are. Demoed the SL and was not impressed. Ordered the Rise M10 without a demo and LOVING IT. Game changer. SL is beat hands down. 60NM really makes a difference.

DarrenCC

Apr 3, 2021
Hertfordshire
Damn, now my curiosity about the Rise has really been piqued. I have preliminarily booked a demo for two weeks time. I was looking for more travel and now might be looking at less ?
The extra power and frame length in an otherwise very similar guise to the SL (which I loved) definitely has me interested. Fickle fickle….

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
Damn, now my curiosity about the Rise has really been piqued. I have preliminarily booked a demo for two weeks time. I was looking for more travel and now might be looking at less ?
The extra power and frame length in an otherwise very similar guise to the SL (which I loved) definitely has me interested. Fickle fickle….
Your just going to have to have 2 bikes lol

JJohansson

Apr 5, 2021
Sweden
I get back to this.
I ended up buying the rise m20 since there was one available at a local store at my size.
I must say I really like the bike! And it’s really nice to have the availability to use all 60nm.

I’m a bit out of shape and would not be able to ride what and where I wanted with limited to 32nm as the SL has.

Days or times I feel stronger I usually using less power from the motor though. But it’s a nice feeling that If I’m pumped out I can just get more help.

soundwave

May 13, 2020
Helsinki, Finland
I have configured my Rise’s eco to 30Nm, trail 47Nm and boost to max 60Nm. I can not imagine the SL anymor - makes no sense to me. The bikes weigh the same. SL is too close to normal analog mtb. I am thinking about adding an analog hardtail (Laufey, Stoick) for some playfull trail riding, wheelie learning etc :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles