Hello! Seeking a bit of advice on Turbo Levo

roguenode

Jan 5, 2020
Boulder, CO
Hi All,

I am considering a 2020 Turbo Levo Comp to use for my daily commute, fire road/4x4 road travel, and some singletrack. I live in Boulder Co, and have a 10mi (each way) commute that is mostly multi-use path and has a bit of single track. I'll also be using the bike to get to remote trail heads on 4x4 roads in the Rocky Mountains and also for a bit of single track use where permitted. I am lucky enough to have a Specialized Experience Center near by that is letting me use a Turbo Levo Comp this weekend for a day at no charge to see what I think of it.

For my intended use, what modifications would you consider? I rarely need to bring anything to and from work, so storage needs are minimal. I'm looking at full suspension bikes vs commuters due to the very rough and rocky mountain 4x4 roads and the extra motor power and battery size. Plus, my street has a 4.5 mile stretch that averages 9.1% grade. I'm partial to Specialized as I have a great Specialized shop nearby and want good local warranty support.

Thanks for any advice you may have!

-Chris

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
Hey, i just want to welcome you in. Im a Giant Trance bike rider so cant comment, too well, on the LEVO

The Specialized is by far our most popular brand on these boards. Check out the forum & read the articles

Cheers, Joe :coffee:

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Buy a second, better wheelset and use that for proper mtb riding, use the Rovals with lower rolling resistance tires for commuting. I think you're gtg otherwise.

mtbchris

Dec 2, 2019
San Diego, CA
Welcome Chris!

Me personally, the first thing I changed out on my Comp is the handle bars (to carbon) and the brakes. I switched to a carbon bar because the Specialized aluminum bar was too stiff. The hands and forearms were taking a beating. A more compliant bar would probably make the 20mile trek more comfortable.

As for the brakes, the Sram RSC E didn't provide enough modulation or stopping power for me. They faded quick and I couldn't adjust the bite point on them. So I swapped to Hope Tech 3's and rotors. I've done other mods but these were the necessary modifications after riding the bike a handful of times.

roguenode

Jan 5, 2020
Boulder, CO
Hey, i just want to welcome you in. Im a Giant Trance bike rider so cant comment, too well, on the LEVO

The Specialized is by far our most popular brand on these boards. Check out the forum & read the articles

Cheers, Joe :coffee:

Thanks for the welcome Joe. I've been learning a ton sifting through the forums already!

Buy a second, better wheelset and use that for proper mtb riding, use the Rovals with lower rolling resistance tires for commuting. I think you're gtg otherwise.

My local shop said they'd give me a pretty good discount on any part swaps made at the time they build the bike for me, but that doesn't include extra wheelsets. I'll likely wait for a good sale or until I've got the extra money and get a 2nd set though. Makes sense.

Welcome Chris!

Me personally, the first thing I changed out on my Comp is the handle bars (to carbon) and the brakes. I switched to a carbon bar because the Specialized aluminum bar was too stiff. The hands and forearms were taking a beating. A more compliant bar would probably make the 20mile trek more comfortable.

As for the brakes, the Sram RSC E didn't provide enough modulation or stopping power for me. They faded quick and I couldn't adjust the bite point on them. So I swapped to Hope Tech 3's and rotors. I've done other mods but these were the necessary modifications after riding the bike a handful of times.

I plan to make full use of the free day to demo the bike, so I should get enough time in saddle to get a feel for the bars and brakes. I like a lot of stopping power and also didn't love the stock levers when at the shop, so I may end up doing a brake swap.

Appreciate the advice an welcomes! I'll keep reading the forums to catch up a bit on the latest info/issues, etc.

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
I think you're probably good to just start the commute. As the days go by, you'll likely find little things to tweak like your saddle, bars, grips, etc.

Set it up tubeless and be sure to carry all the tools and what not in case you have to do a little repair in the woods ....... and have fun!

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
Welcome.....looking at getting the same bike as well....

Welcome Chris!

Me personally, the first thing I changed out on my Comp is the handle bars (to carbon) and the brakes. I switched to a carbon bar because the Specialized aluminum bar was too stiff. The hands and forearms were taking a beating.

Curious what bar you went to that's a bit more comfortable?

Baba

Aug 11, 2019
anacortes, WA
Welcome Chris!

I've a Turbo Levo expert, great tip on the handle bars. I am going to look into carbon fiber, my hands are the only complaint I have about this amazing bike. Thanks!!

mtbchris

Dec 2, 2019
San Diego, CA
I've a Turbo Levo expert, great tip on the handle bars. I am going to look into carbon fiber, my hands are the only complaint I have about this amazing bike. Thanks!!

I threw on a Renthal carbon fatbar and stem that I had sitting around in the garage. It drowned out a lot of the chatter through rock gardens.

mtbchris

Dec 2, 2019
San Diego, CA
Upgrade your pedals as grantini stated. The pedals the Levo comes with are trash. Your taint will thank you for it

Last edited:

roguenode

Jan 5, 2020
Boulder, CO
I think you're probably good to just start the commute. As the days go by, you'll likely find little things to tweak like your saddle, bars, grips, etc.

Set it up tubeless and be sure to carry all the tools and what not in case you have to do a little repair in the woods ....... and have fun!

No doubt upgrades as I use the bike will come. I'm just trying to take advantage of the discount I'm getting on extra parts at time of purchase. Going tubeless is high priority. Thanks!

Tires, lupine sl-sf light, g,rips and pedals

I'm looking at good tire options for commuting with a bit of singletrack. That light looks good. Ergon grips for sure. I'll search the forum for good pedal options. Appreciate the help!

Upgrade your pedals as grantini stated. The pedals the Levo comes with are trash. Your taint will thank you for it

Yep, pedals are on my list!.

Learning tons over the last few days searching the forums. Can't wait to do my demo on Saturday and hopefully put my order in afterward.

boneht

Sep 22, 2019
oxon
Welcome Chris!

What was the effect on your hands, I've had a turbo levo for a couple of months and it hurts my thumb joints. I put it down to the handlebars being significantly wider than my old Marin but I'm interested in what you have said. You think carbon bars might help?

mtbchris

Dec 2, 2019
San Diego, CA
What was the effect on your hands, I've had a turbo levo for a couple of months and it hurts my thumb joints. I put it down to the handlebars being significantly wider than my old Marin but I'm interested in what you have said. You think carbon bars might help?

From my palms and thumbs to my wrists I'd experience pain and fatigue after each ride with the aluminum bar. But I can't say that it was 100% from the bar because I had to play with air pressures in the fork as well. Once I dialed in the fork, it was a little better but still harsh with the stiff bar. I swapped to a Renthal carbon bar and it noticeably dampens a lot of the impact. Switched to a coil spring up front, fatigue and pain are non-existent now.

Baba

Aug 11, 2019
anacortes, WA

Came from a older Stumpjumper with narrow bars. I think the wider bars don't have as natural a position for me. Seems to overload the inside/thumb. I just swapped out to a bit fatter and cushier grips and we will see. Cant remember name but here is a pic (maybe).

I am thinking to narrow my bars incrementally until it feels right. What is the ability to narrow carbon bars without destroying them?

IMG_8822.jpeg

boneht

Sep 22, 2019
oxon
From my palms and thumbs to my wrists I'd experience pain and fatigue after each ride with the aluminum bar. But I can't say that it was 100% from the bar because I had to play with air pressures in the fork as well. Once I dialed in the fork, it was a little better but still harsh with the stiff bar. I swapped to a Renthal carbon bar and it noticeably dampens a lot of the impact. Switched to a coil spring up front, fatigue and pain are non-existent now.

Just ordered a pair, tried the suspension on a softer setting and that helped a bit, hopefully the combination of 40mm rise , carbon and a narrower bar will improve things further.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles