Hello. Looking to buy - maybe. Could do with some advice.

Redbikejohn

Dec 25, 2019
High wycombe
South east uk based. So a friend and I have been considering emtb's for some time now. We both used to ride/race enduro motorbikes but that has died off. Both still have mtbs but really like the idea of riding some of our old trails again that have been closed to vehicles now. My mate did some research into different bikes as he's sold his dirt bike and in the end gave up as dealers told him basically why cant ride them in the wet ie the ridgeway in winter. I've had other things going on so never looked into it much but while surfing the web at xmas I found this forum and thread in general about 'how wet is too wet' and wondered what was the collective wisdom and experience ref water ingress to motor and is any one brand worse than others? Will also ask this in other thread to max response.
Thanks ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Well this is not a question with a straight forward answer, as riding with some common sense is critical, you dont want to be submerging the motor unit.

I took my bike out (shimano motor) yesterday in the Surrey Hills in what can only be described as biblical conditions, driving rain, ankle-deep mud, and water galore, no problems. Cleaning it after was a PITA, and really this the key, as you need to make sure the bike and all the electrical components are properly dry after washing, no matter what the weather is like.

For me one of the great things about EMTB's is they make riding in bad conditions fun, as they can power through mud and slop a lot better than a normal bike. You just need to be sensible with maintenance.

It does seem that some bike are more prone to water damage - e.g you see a lot of reports on the forum of the Specilizeds having issues with water egress into the control components, even from just washing the bikes.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
You can never guarantee a water-free motor but you can take steps to lessen the chances of water ingress e.g. below are some of the tips various members of this forum have mentioned in the past..

1. Don’t use a jet spray (unless on sprinkler setting) and even then be careful around motor area.
2. Never submerge motor in water
3. Be careful with degreasers finding their way into the motor area.
4. Be careful what you spray near the motor. Many substances can have an adverse effect on bearing / barrier grease. What we sometimes think is a harmless cleaner or lubricant might actually be a grease solvent.
4. When cleaning don’t put bike on it’s side otherwise gravity may force water into motor bearings.
5. Don’t put a bike away wet after cleaning. Use a leaf blower or airline to evaporate the water first or take bike into a warm area e.g. to speed up evaporation.

E-bikes are expensive and we all want to preserve them as best we can but when we are making big decisions in life we often think about all the negative things and what could go wrong instead of the positives and benefits. To make progress I guess some risk is always involved.
I know there is a remote chance that my motor will fail but I’m so glad I took the plunge and bought an ebike. It is one of the best investments I ever made.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Seeing that pic of "the ridgeway" in the thread you're talking about I can see how it might be fun to blat along on an mx/Enduro bike but I'm really not sure why you'd want to intentionally ride an mtb (even with a motor) there.
Have you tried mountainbiking?
It's not really like moto enduro at all. (but can be just as fun)
MTB these days for a lot of folk generally means riding in hilly areas with climbs to access faster/more technical descents (or at least flat undulating trails with corners and interesting features). An emtb does make flatter XC riding a little easier (especially in soft conditions) but where an Emtb really comes into it's own is climbing. On the flat (in smooth dry conditions) with a fit/decent rider a normal mtb just as fast.

Ripping g

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 8, 2019
West yorkshire
South east uk based. So a friend and I have been considering emtb's for some time now. We both used to ride/race enduro motorbikes but that has died off. Both still have mtbs but really like the idea of riding some of our old trails again that have been closed to vehicles now. My mate did some research into different bikes as he's sold his dirt bike and in the end gave up as dealers told him basically why cant ride them in the wet ie the ridgeway in winter. I've had other things going on so never looked into it much but while surfing the web at xmas I found this forum and thread in general about 'how wet is too wet' and wondered what was the collective wisdom and experience ref water ingress to motor and is any one brand worse than others? Will also ask this in other thread to max response.
Thanks ?
This is what we ride most weekends in deep all the time dont be scared of mud and water how ever deep the wetter the better ???

276D3186-BDE5-4CAC-B29B-1B7D0C9B6CF0.jpeg

D444DCE4-EA0B-424E-8FE5-45B748ECE608.jpeg

4BFF2585-F087-471F-9A83-08945AABAB9D.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles