Hello from Pennsylvania

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
not sure but i have changed my riding style a bit after the first motor popped, now i try not to start peddling with load if possible

Largoroom

Mar 13, 2020
Port Orchard, WA 98366
I'm looking from some advice on a chain popping noise when starting peddling under a hard load. I have a new 2020 levo expert carbon.
Sounds like chain stretch. Probably happens on your higher gears, too.The things you will go through more on an E-bike, are chains and cassettes. Look for E-bike specific parts. They last longer.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I'm looking from some advice on a chain popping noise when starting peddling under a hard load. I have a new 2020 levo expert carbon.

1) A few things to consider: double check derailleur adjustment and alignment
2) Check for a tight link in your chain (even though it's new, you ride in Michaux, and well, there are lots of rocks)
3) Since an eMTB has more power, anticipate shifts a bit more and shift like you would on a regular bike. Don't bog the motor in too steep a gear.
4) A rare thing to check (it happened to me) is that the cassette is actually spinning on the freehub body (it literally chews through the metal on the freehub body and starts to skip under load). Some soft alloy freehub bodies can't handle the stress of an eMTB. Make sure the cassette lockring is properly torqued also.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Planning an eMTB ride at Rattling Creek in a few weeks when this craziness subsides. I'll let you Pennsylvania folks know in advance.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles