Hello from Belgium - help for first emtb choose

Max

Aug 10, 2019
Nowhere
Hello,

I am 38 years old, I want to join some "experienced" friends riding in the woods with models such as Trek 9.9 LT (engine unlocked).
I did not practice VTT since more than +10 years, so of course they will teach me and take me to more technical area when I am ready.

[Edit1] I have tested a Canyon Spectral 7.0 and liked it, but I don't want to work on it myself, need shop for support - the shops around here seems allergic to it. [/Edit]

[Edit2] I also like the XDURO AllMtn 5.0, but this is well over my budget and I think I don't have enough experience to start with such bike. [/Edit]

My budget is around 4700 € max. So I try to decide between the Specialized Turbo Levo 2019 (basic model) and the Trek Rail 5 2020.

From what I have analysed/read:

- Tested the Spec and liked it.
- Spec have little bit better material (eg: Tektro brake on Trek)
- I can buy Spec now and don't have to wait +1 month for the new Trek.
- Brose dive S mag seems to still behave better than Bosh 2020.
- Dealers said specialized Turbo Levo 2020 (basic model) won't change much except more sober colours.
- The trek have more sober colours, more pretty to me.
- I can have 10% discount on the Spec 2019.
- More easy to unlock Brose engine than new Bosh.

Thus I think I am going to Specialized 2019.
Please let me know your opinion if you have any.

Thank you!

IMG_2890.jpg

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Welcome Max.

It took me a moment to work out why you didn't want the Spectral - you don't want to work on it yourself so you want to buy a bike with shop support.

Both nice bikes and I think you will be very happy with either bike. Though as you have said, I think you will have a problem de-restricting the 2020 Bosch .

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Yup, the 2020 Bosch resets itself to 'wounded' mode when it detects any modifying and you have to take it to a dealer to have it reset.
One of the reasons I am glad we don't get the Euro motors down here - I would not even bother with an ebike if I was stuck at 25kph max.

Max

Aug 10, 2019
Nowhere
Welcome Max.

It took me a moment to work out why you didn't want the Spectral - you don't want to work on it yourself so you want to buy a bike with shop support.

Thanks, edited.
Yup, the 2020 Bosch resets itself to 'wounded' mode when it detects any modifying and you have to take it to a dealer to have it reset.
One of the reasons I am glad we don't get the Euro motors down here - I would not even bother with an ebike if I was stuck at 25kph max.

Thanks, at what speed the motors can go where you are located? I am asking because in one of the two specialized shop I went, the guy was telling me they have more technical issues with the unlocked bikes and don't recommend it as it break warranty..

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Thanks, edited.
Thanks, at what speed the motors can go where you are located? I am asking because in one of the two specialized shop I went, the guy was telling me they have more technical issues with the unlocked bikes and don't recommend it as it break warranty..
For sure there are a lot of questionable mod boxes out there that can and do screw things up very easily. Not certain it would break warranty unless it is specifically mentioned in that warranty. However, the new Bosch has 2 motors - the Euro version and the rest of the world version. As far as I understand, the current regulations for the EU require that users are unable to modify their systems so all motor manufacturers will have 2 versions. Basically it is only a system control board that is different, with the EU version having a setting that disables it if modifications are found to have been done.
I expect a black market for system boards to develop fairly quickly.

BTW - I am in NZ

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles