Hello and some rather specific questions

Bean

Jul 21, 2018
Hull, UK
Stand over seems fine, if helps see pic, will get one of her stood on over weekend. Only backed shock off a bit, for trails we do geo fine as we're still novices.
Plus men's Levo, so shock was high pressure for her 50kg so better ride now for her

IMG_20190520_093536.jpg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have been windsurfing for 30 years so I do remember a time when harnesses were not used.....but no one windsurfs short boards without one for the last 25 years plus!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I don’t think that Mike meant his neck and shoulders are affected by windsurfing, more by gripping the handlebars, but as a wind surfer / sailor myself, I agree about using a harness for less arm pull.
I like the idea of the harness, I could do with it when I'm using the KERS system on the bike.

I was thinking about making a post about death grip, my grips seems to be very worn very quickly, what is the normal distance covered before you wear out grips ? This pair are at about 1000km's.

TimVW

Jul 11, 2019
Warwickshire
Way off topic, but, I used to suffer mostly with my hands when wind surfing. Despite pretty calloused palms, once wet, if the wishbone was ripped away so was the skin on your palm!
I once lost the main sheet out of all blocks (stopper knot came undone) while racing Lasers off Ibiza and had to return to shore ( about 2 NM) in a force 4 with the main sheet as a direct link to the sail. Could barely open my hands for a week or more.

TimVW

Jul 11, 2019
Warwickshire
Stand over seems fine, if helps see pic, will get one of her stood on over weekend. Only backed shock off a bit, for trails we do geo fine as we're still novices.
Plus men's Levo, so shock was high pressure for her 50kg so better ride now for her

View attachment 15875
Thanks, this helps. I now have Small and Medium geo’s to compare as it seems both might work.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Death grip wears out your arms and shoulders rather than the grips I reckon! I only suffer from it on new trails despite telling myself to go with the flow. Cant remember ever wearing out grips but I guess if they soft they will suffer. I prefer hard and thin

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Way off topic, but, I used to suffer mostly with my hands when wind surfing. Despite pretty calloused palms, once wet, if the wishbone was ripped away so was the skin on your palm!
I once lost the main sheet out of all blocks (stopper knot came undone) while racing Lasers off Ibiza and had to return to shore ( about 2 NM) in a force 4 with the main sheet as a direct link to the sail. Could barely open my hands for a week or more.
Same thing applies in windsurfing as on the bike....you dont...or should not...grip the boom hard. You use body leverage through the harness...boom grip is only to control the sheeting angle.
Maybe off topic but it is an example in both sports where you use more strength and therefore energy through bad technique. Im going to put a post it on my bars.....Relax!

TimVW

Jul 11, 2019
Warwickshire
Death grip wears out your arms and shoulders rather than the grips I reckon! I only suffer from it on new trails despite telling myself to go with the flow. Cant remember ever wearing out grips but I guess if they soft they will suffer. I prefer hard and thin

I can only really relate this to off road motorcycles and trials bikes as my mtb’ing has primarily been gentle tracks or fire roads, but the guidance was always that you needed a light grip on the bars to just guide the general direction and let the front wheel find its way otherwise you tend to follow the terrain and that can have bad consequences. It’s surprising how fast you can crash off road and not get hurt as long as you don’t hit anything ?.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
...............It’s surprising how fast you can crash off road and not get hurt as long as you don’t hit anything ?.

I have always found that hitting the ground is what does the damage to me!
However, I can imagine the effect of colliding with a broken tree branch! :eek:

TimVW

Jul 11, 2019
Warwickshire
Back on topic, how about suggestions for brand of EMTB?

Given the apparent issues with (some/ rare) DTC providers, which makes are available from retailers that provide good levels of support, and what are people’s views on the optimum specification / value balance?

Also, will 2020 motors offer a significant improvement. Are there motors that offer specific benefits - weight, least resistance when off, easiest availability of repairs and spares etc, and what is the view on integrated versus sit on / semi integrated batteries? For me some bikes like, say, Lapierre, Decoy or the 2020 Commencal, look aesthetically great, but the Canyon or Thok don’t look too bad (ignoring DTC v LBS).

Any other thoughts?

TimVW

Jul 11, 2019
Warwickshire
I have always found that hitting the ground is what does the damage to me!
However, I can imagine the effect of colliding with a broken tree branch! :eek:

I think if you fly, or the bike lands on you, then hitting the ground can do damage. If you push the bike away and tuck it hurts but usually only minor damage. The bike may be a different matter!

Hitting anything, even a hard packed rut, would do a lot of damage (see Guy Martins NW200 crash; curb and safety barrier but at high speed). Also when motorcycling off road you tend to wear a full face helmet reinforced boots and armoured outerwear, which helps.

I broke a collarbone hitting the water after being launched from a catamaran that dug in and pitchpoled. Even water can be quite hard really☹️

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I understand your criterea when selecting a fridge but buying an e bike like buying a car is 25% head and 75% heart. Just buy what you really like ...and no regrets.

TimVW

Jul 11, 2019
Warwickshire
I understand your criterea when selecting a fridge but buying an e bike like buying a car is 25% head and 75% heart. Just buy what you really like ...and no regrets.

Possibly, but like with a car, perhaps start with an ideal to have list and then end up with as many of those you can get in the model you fancy. Sometimes you just can’t get past some little thing, artificial piped engine noise for a completely different engine configuration does it for me, or, absolutely shocking customer experience and unacceptable delivery times. After that, I agree with you.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think if you fly, or the bike lands on you, then hitting the ground can do damage. If you push the bike away and tuck it hurts but usually only minor damage. The bike may be a different matter!

Hitting anything, even a hard packed rut, would do a lot of damage (see Guy Martins NW200 crash; curb and safety barrier but at high speed). Also when motorcycling off road you tend to wear a full face helmet reinforced boots and armoured outerwear, which helps.

I find when I'm still in the air, I'm ok :) .. 6 month results so far are : ground - lots of bruising and one concussion. Tree - fractured rib. Very fast drop off disaster otb, hit by bike, fractured pelvis. Newby pedal to shins - lots - painful and messy. eMTB has been far more "brakey" than anything I've ever done in the past - but age probably doesn't help ! :) I had a horrible motorbike crash years ago which resulted in written off car and bike and I hobbled away with a broken toe - as you say, you wear more protective gear, as I now do on the bike, which combined with some basic abilities have resulted in a huge reduction in accidents ! :)

TimVW

Jul 11, 2019
Warwickshire
Really helpful, thanks. Just to confirm, that is a medium Levo?

It looks like stand over height on the Small and Medium Levo are both 760mm.

Does your wife have any trouble with the seat hitting her over bumps when dropped?

Last edited:

Bean

Jul 21, 2018
Hull, UK
Really helpful, thanks. Just to confirm, that is a medium Levo?

Yep a medium, but is a 2018 model in carbon. Not sure if sizes have changed for the 2019 version.
We bought it ex demo as price was too good to pass up hence she got the medium as that was what was available.

No issues as yet with seat, but we are novices so more basic red runs and blues are our limits, use more for just enjoying riding than scaring ourselves ?

TimVW

Jul 11, 2019
Warwickshire
Yep a medium, but is a 2018 model in carbon. Not sure if sizes have changed for the 2019 version.
No issues as yet with seat, but we are novices so more basic red runs and blues are our limits, use more for just enjoying riding than scaring ourselves ?

Great, thanks. There is a Specialized shop at a Fort Dunlop, 20 miles from me that I may persuade my driver (My wife, Jane?) that we really need to visit.

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
Tim , you have the perfect place very close to you to start your rehab. Draycote Water has a 5 mile , car- free loop with a paved surface.

TimVW

Jul 11, 2019
Warwickshire
Tim , you have the perfect place very close to you to start your rehab. Draycote Water has a 5 mile , car- free loop with a paved surface.

Hi Bill, quite right. I used to sail there and have run and ridden that loop frequently. It’s nice, but once you’ve done it a few times you may as well sit on a bike at the gym with the resistance set to 1?. I’m hoping that an e bike will allow me try some more interesting routes while easing back to some level of fitness.

TimVW

Jul 11, 2019
Warwickshire
Have been reading up on some emtb’s in the last couple of days. I quite like the look and spec of the Focus Jam2. I see that it will be available with the new 2020 Bosch motor some time later in the year, but the Shimano 8000 version will still be produced alongside offering the small lightweight in tube battery with the additional battery now provided as part of the package. The Shimano bike seems to be a bit more aesthetically integrated to me and there are some pretty good deals around, so, apart from not having to lug a second battery (for longer rides presumably), and the greater torque of the Bosch (offset by what may still be a less refined motor), what is seen as the pros and cons of each please?

There are also some decent discounts on Canypn Spectral:eek:n’s until the end of July. Any views on these in terms of model spec versus vfm and views on quality and how they rate as an an emtb generally?

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
Disused railway and canals would be a change of scenery. Also, there’s lots of bridleways hidden away, you just have to find them and sort them into a loop although there will be bits of road riding in between. A handy website is rowmaps where you can see what is in your local area. Then it’s on to Cannock.....?

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
The Shimano powered Focus has had problems with cold weather charging, which is documented in threads on this forum . Also , the battery is not easily removed to make the bike lighter to get into a car, if that is how you would be transporting it. I am also very interested in the new Focus with new Bosch motor and 625 battery. It also has a easily removable battery which makes life a lot easier. Will definitely be trying one of those when they appear.

TimVW

Jul 11, 2019
Warwickshire
The Shimano powered Focus has had problems with cold weather charging, which is documented in threads on this forum . Also , the battery is not easily removed to make the bike lighter to get into a car, if that is how you would be transporting it. I am also very interested in the new Focus with new Bosch motor and 625 battery. It also has a easily removable battery which makes life a lot easier. Will definitely be trying one of those when they appear.

Thanks Bill, that’s a good point about removing the battery for transport.

I live very close to the Newton access to the old Great Central rail line paths and have done some of the local Sustrans route with tow paths. Also been to Cannock a couple of times but on foot with the dog! I will look at rowmaps.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles