Heavyweight looking for suited EMTB

Leroidulacanau

Apr 19, 2020
Antwerp
I'm 58 years old, 175 cm/5 ft 9, and putting 145 kg / 320 lbs. on the scale
Driving my Harley supports perhaps my mental, but certainly not my physical health.
So I decided to go back into MTB. (Last bike was Specialized Epic Marathon Carbon)

So one of the main reasons is to look for a brand-new EMTB.
My biggest concerns is … is there any EMTB on the market that supports my "healthy specifications" … 145 kg ?

Currently I'm looking into Specialized Turbo bikes, radon RENDER 10.0 HD, Orbea Wild FS ...
Hope to get tips and answers on the Forum

Regards
Leroidulacanau

Leroidulacanau

Apr 19, 2020
Antwerp
At your weight I'd be looking at hardtails really. but even then you're going to need to run the fork over rec max pressure
Gary ... my first goal is not to run the Megavalance but to loose weight and have confortable rides by having the FS ... once first goal is achieved whe can always adjust our goals ;-) But coming back to my first question ... are there any FS EMTB that "can" support my current weight ? My biggest concern is the strength of the frame

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
My point was that you're twice the weight of the average rider most suspension components and frames were designed to carry.
This means you'll struggle to even find a frame which you can set up to correct sag point.
I didn't for one minute think you were planning on doing the Mega (which isn't actuallly all that tough to just ride/complete or particularly tough terrain for any bike)
Frame strength is the least of your worries. most decent mtb/emtb frames are built to withstand huge forces repeatedly. but yeah, don't go hucking on to flat all day long if you're a particularly heavy rider or lack finesse.
As you're way over the recommended weight limit for an epic, where you lighter then? and if not, how did you deal with the suspension set-up

Hardtails aren't uncomfortable once you gain some limb and core strength. and don't just sit down the whole ride.

dochabanero

Sep 8, 2019
Sweden
Maybe look at an aluminium frame with enduro/over sized bearings and go for coil suspension front and back. Enduro wheels that allow some extra weight would be good. I know there are wheels out there speced up to 130kg. Might even be able to find even higher speced ones. Thinking new Kenevo or similar style bike.

Leroidulacanau

Apr 19, 2020
Antwerp
My point was that you're twice the weight of the average rider most suspension components and frames were designed to carry.
This means you'll struggle to even find a frame which you can set up to correct sag point.
I didn't for one minute think you were planning on doing the Mega (which isn't actuallly all that tough to just ride/complete or particularly tough terrain for any bike)
Frame strength is the least of your worries. most decent mtb/emtb frames are built to withstand huge forces repeatedly. but yeah, don't go hucking on to flat all day long if you're a particularly heavy rider or lack finesse.
As you're way over the recommended weight limit for an epic, where you lighter then? and if not, how did you deal with the suspension set-up

Hardtails aren't uncomfortable once you gain some limb and core strength. and don't just sit down the whole ride.

Gary thanks for the tip ... as I'm a newbie but want to learn before deciding ... SAG was a new term for me ...
after some Dr Google time I understand that a SAG setting of 25%-35% is the best. I understand also that the SAG is influenced by adjusting the PSI (in case of air shocks).
I'm going to investigate further because I'm discovering new things by the minute (e.g. leverage ratio, coil shock, new technologies etc ...)

Yes in my best years I had 80 kg on the scale (but now the couch is so confortable you know) ... and ... the Epic has been "borrowed" by my nephew (since then I didn't see the Epic back :) )

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
You might try dropping a line to Riese & Müller. They are a German company which is very active in the American market, so I think they may well have the setup you are looking for.

[Edit: Just checked their specs. Their FS EMTB's go to 140kg. It's their FS Cargo bikes which go to 200kg. At a guess, they probably do some cross-switching of suspension products for their weightier American market.]

Last edited:

Leroidulacanau

Apr 19, 2020
Antwerp
Maybe look at an aluminium frame with enduro/over sized bearings and go for coil suspension front and back. Enduro wheels that allow some extra weight would be good. I know there are wheels out there speced up to 130kg. Might even be able to find even higher speced ones. Thinking new Kenevo or similar style bike.

dochabanero
thanks for the feedback ... Taking in account the remarks of Gary ... SAG ... the Kenevo has a RockShox Super Deluxe Coil Select, 62.5x230mm, S2: 450lb, S3: 500lb, S4: 550lb, S5: 600lb ... do you think this could have a 25% SAG for this 145 kg biker ?

Leroidulacanau

Apr 19, 2020
Antwerp
You might try dropping a line to Riese & Müller. They are a German company which is very active in the American market, so I think they may well have the setup you are looking for.

[Edit: Just checked their specs. Their FS EMTB's go to 140kg. It's their FS Cargo bikes which go to 200kg. At a guess, they probably do some cross-switching of suspension products for their weightier American market.]

Paul,
thanks for the tip ... will certainly look at the R&M

AdmChr

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Nov 21, 2019
SWPA
dochabanero
thanks for the feedback ... Taking in account the remarks of Gary ... SAG ... the Kenevo has a RockShox Super Deluxe Coil Select, 62.5x230mm, S2: 450lb, S3: 500lb, S4: 550lb, S5: 600lb ... do you think this could have a 25% SAG for this 145 kg biker ?

Unfortunately, It would not.
To put it in perspective, I currently weigh 275lbs (125kg) and with a 650lb spring on my 2020 Kenevo Expert it's around 28-30% sag.

dochabanero

Sep 8, 2019
Sweden
700 lb spring should get him close. As Gary said, a hardtail would probably be best, but there are options if one is hard set on a FS bike.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
dochabanero
No. Definitely not

a 750lb spring will set you at around 30% sag
you'd need a 900lb spring to achieve 25% sag.
both assuming a 60% (40:60) rearwards weight bias
60% weight bais assumes a strong rider stood up in a neutral (strong core, pedals weighted) position. A DH rider may have a lagrer rear weight bais (as would a rider sat down) and both would need a stiffer spring than I've calculated above.

Last edited:

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
I had similar issues as I weigh 130ish kg I know the yt decoy that I bought is good for 150kg rider kit etc. The suspension on it fox 36fac x2 fac are both set above what they deem max psi. I spoke with mojo Suspension an Tf tuned a while ago regarding a coil shock an they said no one does a spring to suit my weight an to go with a air shock. Things might have changed since an are now available.

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand
On my previous non e-bike I had a 650lbs spring at that time I was about 118kg ready to ride.
You would need 750+ lbs , biggest spring I have seen is 700lbs.
Try going to your local and see what they can do.

Best of luck ?‍♂️

20180816_170832.jpg

Leroidulacanau

Apr 19, 2020
Antwerp

Gary ... perhaps we have another definition of "tough" ... ;):giggle:

Leroidulacanau

Apr 19, 2020
Antwerp
On my previous non e-bike I had a 650lbs spring at that time I was about 118kg ready to ride.
You would need 750+ lbs , biggest spring I have seen is 700lbs.
Try going to your local and see what they can do.

Best of luck ?‍♂️

View attachment 29181
Shane,
thanks for you reply ...
which is the brand of spring/coil you're talking about ... and on which shock this can be mounted ?

Leroidulacanau

Apr 19, 2020
Antwerp
I had similar issues as I weigh 130ish kg I know the yt decoy that I bought is good for 150kg rider kit etc. The suspension on it fox 36fac x2 fac are both set above what they deem max psi. I spoke with mojo Suspension an Tf tuned a while ago regarding a coil shock an they said no one does a spring to suit my weight an to go with a air shock. Things might have changed since an are now available.
Fatbap,
thanks for the tip ... I'll certainly have a look to mojo and TF ... any other brands/suppliers ?
which YT decoy are you using ? Are all decoy frames the same ?

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
Driving my Harley supports perhaps my mental, but certainly not my physical health.
So I decided to go back into MTB. (Last bike was Specialized Epic Marathon Carbon)

My biggest concerns is … is there any EMTB on the market that supports my "healthy specifications" … 145 kg ?

Currently I'm looking into Specialized Turbo bikes, radon RENDER 10.0 HD, Orbea Wild FS ...

Regards
Leroidulacanau
Hi Lero, I really hope this post does not come across negatively, as my advice here is intended to be genuine. First of all, congrats on making the decision to get fitter and take up a cool activity like mountain biking, it's one of the best ways there is to experience the outdoors. In your position I would first focus on losing some weight before you spend many thousands on a bike that you are trying to tailor towards your current high excess weight, a weight that is beyond or at least at the top end of the tolerances of most standard manufacturer equipment.

Weight loss can happen very fast with the right routine and diet (my family/friends have had experience with obesity and weight loss) and when you get down to 120KG (this can take only 2-4 months) and lower you will end up with a bike that is perhaps no longer suitable for you and that you won't even be able to sell as it is so specifically tailored to extremely heavy people. As tough as it may seem, if you can get down to around 125KG before buying a bike this will make things a lot easier for you when buying and keeping a bike for the long-term.

Last edited:

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
Fatbap,
thanks for the tip ... I'll certainly have a look to mojo and TF ... any other brands/suppliers ?
which YT decoy are you using ? Are all decoy frames the same ?

Hi mate I can’t help as to other brands as I just used a air shock as recommended. On my old canyon spectral acoustic I had fox 34 forks an fox ctd shock sent both to mojo for a service an they re shimed the shock never had any issues with them. I bought a newer spectral with rockshox pikes an canecreek bd inline shock an was never able to set them up for me to where I was happy with them. I bought a yt decoy pro race 2019 model an for me it’s amazing I ain’t the high flying idiot I once was an do not do big jumps or drops anymore. The main frames are the same but the base model was alloy I’m not sure on the 2020 models tho sorry. I’d phone mojo/silverfish an have a chat they will tell u if u can put enough psi in there to support ur weight that’s what I did

Leroidulacanau

Apr 19, 2020
Antwerp
Hi Lero, I really hope this post does not come across negatively, as my advice here is intended to be genuine. First of all, congrats on making the decision to get fitter and take up a cool activity like mountain biking, it's one of the best ways there is to experience the outdoors. In your position I would first focus on losing some weight before you spend many thousands on a bike that you are trying to tailor towards your current high excess weight, a weight that is beyond or at least at the top end of the tolerances of most standard manufacturer equipment.

Weight loss can happen very fast with the right routine and diet (my family/friends have had experience with obesity and weight loss) and when you get down to 120KG (this can take only 2-4 months) and lower you will end up with a bike that is perhaps no longer suitable for you and that you won't even be able to sell as it is so specifically tailored to extremely heavy people. As tough as it may seem, if you can get down to around 125KG before buying a bike this will make things a lot easier for you when buying and keeping a bike for the long-term.
Hi,
got your point ... thanks

Leroidulacanau

Apr 19, 2020
Antwerp
No. Definitely not

a 750lb spring will set you at around 30% sag
you'd need a 900lb spring to achieve 25% sag.
both assuming a 60% (40:60) rearwards weight bias
60% weight bais assumes a strong rider stood up in a neutral (strong core, pedals weighted) position. A DH rider may have a lagrer rear weight bais (as would a rider sat down) and both would need a stiffer spring than I've calculated above.

Hi Gary ... I'm back ;-)
see my new post below

Leroidulacanau

Apr 19, 2020
Antwerp
By searching the WWW I found out that I'm a "Clydesdale biker" putting 330 lbs on the scale.

I'm living in Antwerp Belgium ... therefore I've contacted Samba (Sabma - Distributeur et service center officiel des produits FOX au Benelux) who are the Benelux distributor for Fox.

They recommended :
- the new 2021 DHX2 and they have coils available up to 800 lbs.
- the new 2021 38 or 36 forks

What's your opinion ?

So this leaves the next question ... Frame ...
If I still want to push through my stubbornness and will to go for a FS EMTB ...
So it seems that buying a "standard" bike is not possible I need to start with a EMTB frame ... any suggestion in that sence ?

I contacted also YF and they informed me on probably the next issue to solve the "wheels" ... any suggestion on wheels for a "Clydesdale" biker

Leroidulacanau

Apr 19, 2020
Antwerp
Hi mate I can’t help as to other brands as I just used a air shock as recommended. On my old canyon spectral acoustic I had fox 34 forks an fox ctd shock sent both to mojo for a service an they re shimed the shock never had any issues with them. I bought a newer spectral with rockshox pikes an canecreek bd inline shock an was never able to set them up for me to where I was happy with them. I bought a yt decoy pro race 2019 model an for me it’s amazing I ain’t the high flying idiot I once was an do not do big jumps or drops anymore. The main frames are the same but the base model was alloy I’m not sure on the 2020 models tho sorry. I’d phone mojo/silverfish an have a chat they will tell u if u can put enough psi in there to support ur weight that’s what I did

Fatbap see my last post above ... feedback always welcome

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
Only thing I’d say is find a bike u like an speak to the manufacturer of it. Not sure what if any bikes come with the new fox 36s 38s an the new shock yet. Or u will have to buy a bike then upgrade to the 36s 38s an shock.
For wheels I used Martin at Home
Very knowledgeable an friendly. He built me a set to suit me. Send him a message

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK

Regards
Leroidulacanau

Hi there. I just posted this elsewhere and I thought it suitable to post here too.
"'I'm 6'3" and 322lbs / 23st (1.9m and 146Kg) and ride a base model Turbo Levo. Forks at 70psi, shock at 170. Sag and ride are absolutely fine, the bike is set up perfectly for my weight. "
I've not had any problems yet with the Levo regarding my weight. I'm not exactly hooning it about or jumping but it's all been fine for me. Set up by BikeScene in Guisborough UK, according to my weight.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Gary ... perhaps we have another definition of "tough" ... ;):giggle:
Yeah. We do.
15 minutes footage of absolutely shit riders constantly falling off on pretty standard natural Alpine terrain. They're the main reason I couldn't think of anything worse than queuing up from 4am to "race" the Mega.

What's your opinion ?
I'm still of the opinion, Why do you want FS?
I wouldn't have thought Antwerp would have the knarliest of mountain bike terrain
The definition of "clydesdale" rider is 220lb+, You're a clydesdale and a half so still way past the norm.
As for wheels, it depends how you ride just as much as your weight. I'm 200-210lb and Don't have a single set of wheels I wouldn't feel confident sending a 15ft drop or 50ft jump with. But I'm a smooth experienced expert level rider (skills wise). All would last just fine for a 330lb beginner rider just riding around and not jumping etc.
I have 11 bikes and quite a few spare wheels so somewhere around 20 sets in total.
All my wheels are fairly standard 32 spoke 3 cross patern, on decent sealed bearing hubs built onto good 21-30mm (internal) rims in the 550g region. Even my DH wheels are sub 2000g.
I am a very experienced bike mechanic/wheelbuilder but many of my wheelests are pre-built off the shelf wheels (as even with everything at trade prices, pre-built wheels are cheaper) but obviously I have the advantage of being able to tension a pre-built wheel myself to my own preference.
At your weight, I'd consider going to 36 spoke hubs/rims for added stiffness, and I'd consider FR rims of around 600g for the same reason. 36 spoke wheels are far less common pre-built and far less common at bargain prices, so if going this route you're going to have to go to a wheelbuilder/shop to have something built. If you went for something off the shelf you still have the option of taking the brand new wheels to a good wheel builder for a tension/true. (about £20-30 per wheel). whatever you buy, pay particular attention to the spokes used. you want a reputable brand and do not want to be going for anything with overly light butted spokes
Whatever wheels you have you are going to have to run properly supportive tyre pressures or you'll end up denting the rims.

Do YT stil spec E13 wheels on the Decoy?
If so, I'd remove them before even riding the bike. infact I have a set of unused E13 wheels here taken off my 2017 Capra (I meant to put up for sale and never got round to it).
E13 wheels have been nothing but problems on all the YT riders bikes I service. There are numerous reasons for this I won't bother going into here but trust me, get rid of them if you do go YT

Canakris

Jul 30, 2019
belgium
Really... I'm heavier and taller than you and I rock a Turbo Levo all day long, more then 750km and only 1 broken chain so far. For sure, shocks are at max PSI and sag of rear shock is bit more then the bars on the shaft... I love my Levo XL all night long :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles