Headset

Yorkshirelad

Oct 11, 2019
Robin hoods bay
I’m pretty sure I’m just being an eejit but here goes.....

Fell off the other day and the headset cup has twisted round in the frame meaning the block lock thing is offset, now I can only turn the bars slightly one way, and all the way round tother.....

im paranoid about using my normal method (?) of removing the headset cup from the frame as I don’t want to damage the carbon, do I need to use a special tool? Never had a carbon frame before....

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
No tools needed mate they do move
Just give the bars a tug in the opposite direction hit them back in line
Mine a my mates was out of line from new

Reactions: rb.

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
That sucks dude hope u get it sorted. I can’t comment on changing the head set on it as mine is mint an ain’t done 1 on a decoy before. I’d say it’s the same as others but u never know

OllieT90

Nov 5, 2020
Oxford
I have had this issue several times on my Decoy, you can easily drift the bottom bearing out using this tool;

RT-1 Headset and Bottom Bracket Cup Remover | Park Tool

Basically the larger diameter drift most tool companies make, i struggled to get mine to rotate back the first time so removed it and applied a decent amount of grease to the mating surface, subsequent misalingments can then be solved by banging the handlbars against the stop to straighten. YT dont use much grease from factory so the surface between frame and bearing drys out meaning it required huge force to move the internal bearing.

Yorkshirelad

Oct 11, 2019
Robin hoods bay
I have had this issue several times on my Decoy, you can easily drift the bottom bearing out using this tool;

RT-1 Headset and Bottom Bracket Cup Remover | Park Tool

Basically the larger diameter drift most tool companies make, i struggled to get mine to rotate back the first time so removed it and applied a decent amount of grease to the mating surface, subsequent misalingments can then be solved by banging the handlbars against the stop to straighten. YT dont use much grease from factory so the surface between frame and bearing drys out meaning it required huge force to move the internal bearing.

Yeah this is what I am going to have to do, so you drift out the full headset bottom cup, then press it back in at the right orientation?

Thanks for the help!

if anyone is wondering the lower bearing size is 40x52x7 r1

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles