Levo Gen 2 Headset play

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Im getting slight side play . The bearing is not a very snug fit new or old normally they are . Wondering if its ovalised slightly, any one heard of this before.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I had to quite regularly adjust the top cap on my Levo when it was fitted with its original forks and headset cap. When I upgraded the forks I obviously had to fit a new starnut but I also bought a Nukeproof Sam Hill top nut and screw set. I have not had to touch the headset since. The original Levo top cap is a pretty flimsy concave design and I believe it could be responsible for failing to maintain the torque applied to the screw...............alternatively the original starnut may also have been poor quality and not gripping properly. Not sure which, but I am more inclined to think the original Levo top nut is the weak link. The Sam Hill is convex on the top surface, thicker overall and far more sturdy in design and is a pretty cheap option to try.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I had to quite regularly adjust the top cap on my Levo when it was fitted with its original forks and headset cap. When I upgraded the forks I obviously had to fit a new starnut but I also bought a Nukeproof Sam Hill top nut and screw set. I have not had to touch the headset since. The original Levo top cap is a pretty flimsy concave design and I believe it could be responsible for failing to maintain the torque applied to the screw...............alternatively the original starnut may also have been poor quality and not gripping properly. Not sure which, but I am more inclined to think the original Levo top nut is the weak link. The Sam Hill is convex on the top surface, thicker overall and far more sturdy in design and is a pretty cheap option to try.
Its a weird thing when you check from front no play pulling on forks etc . Brakes on and wiggle from rear wheel you see sideways movement on bottom bearing. Found Lot of posts on here on play in bearings . Fitted king top cap etc about 8 wèeks ago .

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Sounds like not properly torqued stem bolts on steering tube ... Star nut bolt is only to preload the bearings, stem bolts should keep everyting together when under load.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Sounds like not properly torqued stem bolts on steering tube ... Star nut bolt is only to preload the bearings, stem bolts should keep everyting together when under load.
Properly torqued had it checked with local bike dealer , he agrees strange that bearing has play . Been ok for two years on third set bearings .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles