Headset issue on E06

Kiteboy

Mar 30, 2022
USA
Need some advice.
Upon close inspection I noticed my headset bearing cups are not square to the steer tube and I can see daylight at rear of top bearing cap (gap) where front is tight like it should be. I figure this amounts to a one degree steeper angle.

Not sure what to do about this. There is no binding of the steering and the steer tube turns smoothly but I suspect there is some point loading happening on the bearing cups.

As you can see, the bottom sits normally. The top looks normal until you look closely at eye level. You can see daylight at the back of the bearing.

steer tube bearings.jpg

steer tube bearings daylight.jpg

Any wisdom on how to address this?

steer tube bearings 2.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
That doesn’t look right.
Any recent repairs or disassembly to the head bearings? What make of fork? Properly assembled and torqued? Bearing seats(upper and lower)? Lower bearing seat pressed in properly? 🤷‍♂️There’s probably someone with some experience with this.

Last edited:

Kiteboy

Mar 30, 2022
USA
No recent repairs. Forks are Wren. Bearings in headset can be removed by hand and appear to be in good condition. The only thing I can think of was perhaps the frame was not faced properly during manufacture so the cups don't sit square to each other.
But I am no expert...

Kiteboy

Mar 30, 2022
USA
BTW, I should add that I recently replaced the Chinese (no brand) inverted forks with Wren inverted forks, but I noticed this gap before I took the old forks off. The cups looked good but the bike doesn't have many miles on it, so there was not a lot of time for any point loading wear to show up at that point

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
…perhaps the frame was not faced properly during manufacture
This^. It’s the only thing I can think of also. No creaks or squeaks or rattle …It’s not the same as chasing one of those around the bike. But if this keeps you up at night (Jk)?? New Bike Day 👍🏻.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The bottom stem spacer......or headset cap whatever it is............has a blue arrow marker on it suggesting it is supposed to be a specific position. Logically that would either be at 12 oclock or 6 oclock.........maybe it is 180 degrees out??
The frame looks to be carbon? If so carbon flexes anyway so if the steering works OK I would no worry a bout it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles