Headset bearings stereo hybrid 2020

Falco

May 30, 2020
TheShed
Hello,

I have a STEREO HYBRID 160 HPC ACTIONTEAM 625 27.5; long story short the headset is faulting, already took the bike to the LBS; at first, they said they have changed the bearing but the problem still there and it seems their mind is not so clear about this kind of headset.

Issues: at first the headset movement wasn't free, meaning that if it was turned right it would stay stuck into that position, not heavily but noticeably enough to have to apply more than normal force to make it turn again; this was apparently resolved by the above-mentioned bearing substitution. There's a problem still there though, it's leaking black grease on dry condition and even a greater amount when is wet til the point that the last time I went out while raining it started doing high squeaky noises plus a good amount of friction.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

For now the only solution I can think about is to buy a good headset replacement, to be mounted by the LBS, but I don't find any specifics for my bike (headset specs, unfortunately, this goes til 2016 and doesn't cover my actual one); does anyone has the headset specs for this model? Any suggestion for a reliable headset sub?

Falco

May 30, 2020
TheShed
Thx for the reply. I'm an Idiot I got it right in front of my eyes on the specs recap list directly on my bike model official cube page, I didn't even check before.

rudenotto

Oct 4, 2020
Chinnor
Any chance the original poster could advise which replacement headset was purchased, with a specific link to the product please?

tartu71

Aug 4, 2020
EE
I have researched the headset a few days now with no luck of finding a full set that fits exactly. The top part of headset is uncommonly large (zs56 for both - top and bottom).

My problem with headset is that bearings are a little too small and it can't be tightened so that it won't make any noise.

My fix was running two rounds of aluminium tape around the bearings to stop them moving around too much.

Studded E-mtb

Nov 6, 2020
Norway
Hello,

I have a STEREO HYBRID 160 HPC ACTIONTEAM 625 27.5; long story short the headset is faulting, already took the bike to the LBS; at first, they said they have changed the bearing but the problem still there and it seems their mind is not so clear about this kind of headset.

Issues: at first the headset movement wasn't free, meaning that if it was turned right it would stay stuck into that position, not heavily but noticeably enough to have to apply more than normal force to make it turn again; this was apparently resolved by the above-mentioned bearing substitution. There's a problem still there though, it's leaking black grease on dry condition and even a greater amount when is wet til the point that the last time I went out while raining it started doing high squeaky noises plus a good amount of friction.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

For now the only solution I can think about is to buy a good headset replacement, to be mounted by the LBS, but I don't find any specifics for my bike (headset specs, unfortunately, this goes til 2016 and doesn't cover my actual one); does anyone has the headset specs for this model? Any suggestion for a reliable headset sub?
Hello Falco

I had to change the bearings after about 210km on my Cube stereo hybrid 140 2020.

I believe that cube used to little grease during assembling of the bike.
My eights autumn ride and the head sett began to size up, the bearings had begun to rust in the head sett.
This is after washing the bike whit muck-off a garden hose and clothe after every ride.

Sounds to me that you need to change the bearings.

Watch this

Patchinko

Aug 14, 2020
S.W hants
I also had to apply more grease to the headsets of mine and my wife's Cube e-bikes from new.
I would have replaced them with better ones but I was a bit nervous of removing the cups from my carbon frame so made do with lots of good quality grease.

kooly

Apr 29, 2020
Australia
Hey Falco...i had the same issues on my 2020 hybrid reaction pro..the bars got stuck on the right side..too it into be fixed and all they did was greasse it up...( the original seal come UN greased for some strange reason) anyway soon after it got stiff again..and then i realised that the bearings in the head set are unsealed...so i brought a sealed bearing unit for the bike and it has been fine ever since....i think these issues are simply cost cutting devices.... hope this helps

rudenotto

Oct 4, 2020
Chinnor
Kooly, amy chance you could post a link to the headset bearings you purchased as I think sealed bearings are the best ones to buy, thanks. did you buy upper and lower bearings?

Patchinko

Aug 14, 2020
S.W hants
Kooly, amy chance you could post a link to the headset bearings you purchased as I think sealed bearings are the best ones to buy, thanks. did you buy upper and lower bearings?

I would also like to know what and where please, the only direct replacement for zs56/30 zs56/40 I have found so far are these......

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I found that Trail Vision and their "Blue Seal" bearings are to be recommended.

All Bike Bearings

They show dimensioned drawings of their bearings and also list the reference numbers that the bearings are also known as. So as long as you can have your old bearing n front of you, you can buy with confidence. They are filled with marine grease and come with a top quality rubber seal. I thought they would be more expensive, but once I had identified the bearings I googled for alternatives to check and they were no more expensive than most and cheaper than many.

kooly

Apr 29, 2020
Australia

1111.jpg

222222.jpg

Craig24

Jul 24, 2020
Wigan
Hi,

Did you ever replace these? I'm looking for some good quality headset bearings for my Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 2020

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
There's a similar thread over here, Stereo hybrid 160 replacement headset - EMTB Forums

I posted the other day (Stereo hybrid 160 replacement headset - EMTB Forums) that the 2020/2021 120, 140, and 160 all share the same headset, so if you want a good headset for not a lot of money, you wont go far wrong with the Superstar one mentioned in both of the threads.

Top set is Type 5, Bottom set type E in whatever colour you fancy and can even have different colours for top and bottom sets.

The worst part aside from poor stock bearings is that the original isn't sealed and has a plastic compression ring, that in my case failed after 3 rides.

Craig24

Jul 24, 2020
Wigan
Thanks mate! I’ll get the Superstar one ordered. Rear hub has just failed today also :( , turning into an expensive hobby!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles