Headlight integration for a 2021 RAIL 9.7

Third-Reef

Apr 1, 2021
HAs anyone installed a good light that is bowered off the Bosch system? Looking to do this to expand my biking hours.

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Any reason why you wouldn't just get a decent self contained one? Battery anxiety in the day is one thing, but when you risk being out of assistance AND light, bit more of an issue! Always liked Exposure myself. Amount of lumens required depends on what you want to do really. Going fast on tech stuff = more the better really, and a helmet/bars combo. On tracks you know well with low risk, anywhere between 700 and 1500 is OK IME.

Man of Finland

Dec 31, 2020
Finland
I have. It is neat to use the same battery. Heard there is a special reserve for lights. Trek included the wire already (you need to fish it out though) but you need to stop by LBS to activate it. Now I can switch on the lights from the Kiox by pressing a button.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I like the Lezyne 1000 ebike light, it's compact and its current draw in within the Bosch system specs.
I still add another separate bar mounted light and a helmet mounted one as well. (The helmet mount ensures you have illumination where you're looking not just where the bars are facing). YMMV

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Any reason why you wouldn't just get a decent self contained one? Battery anxiety in the day is one thing, but when you risk being out of assistance AND light, bit more of an issue! Always liked Exposure myself. Amount of lumens required depends on what you want to do really. Going fast on tech stuff = more the better really, and a helmet/bars combo. On tracks you know well with low risk, anywhere between 700 and 1500 is OK IME.
Exposures are good, had Sixpack once. I'm still waiting my Rail 7 but i have Lupine SL SF allready waiting. SL SF because i do lot of commute also. I'm planning to buy Exposure Diablo to helmet with Lupine. That's enough for my needs.

EDIT: I have used my Lupine allready last winter with my current bike. It's fairly good. Beam has very sharp edge but with high beam it's okay in the woods if trails are fairly flat. Lots of ups and downs and the beam is too limited.

Last edited:

protowheeler

Sep 10, 2019
England
yeah bosch bikes have a reserve programmed so if your assist goes out you still have lights. but i think your dealer can adjust the amount of reserve????

Mr_Price

Feb 27, 2021
North Vancouver
I asked my LBS about it and they suggested avoiding it, as above to conserve juice, but also they have seen 2 bikes come back with messed up electrical problems.

protowheeler

Sep 10, 2019
England
Hate to say it, but that's pretty lame advice. Yes it does conserve battery power but at the lowest reserve setting I only saved a few KM. And if it's a good light and connected properly, issues shouldn't occur.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I asked my LBS about it and they suggested avoiding it, as above to conserve juice, but also they have seen 2 bikes come back with messed up electrical problems.

Is this the same LBS who said there was no chainring clearance because of thick paint on the frame?

Change your LBS :unsure::confused:

Mr_Price

Feb 27, 2021
North Vancouver
Is this the same LBS who said there was no chainring clearance because of thick paint on the frame?

Change your LBS :unsure::confused:

Haha to be fair, that clown has backtracked massively and is sorting me out. LOL I should update that thread.

It was his head tech that was telling me to avoid it.

Man of Finland

Dec 31, 2020
Finland
You should avoid your LBS instead. I have the Lezyne 1000 and its working perfectly!
CB0154A4-A126-4534-B9D1-72182BB39AB7.jpeg

GolfMaster52

Oct 19, 2020
Bentonville, Arkansas
Exposures are good, had Sixpack once. I'm still waiting my Rail 7 but i have Lupine SL SF allready waiting. SL SF because i do lot of commute also. I'm planning to buy Exposure Diablo to helmet with Lupine. That's enough for my needs.

EDIT: I have used my Lupine allready last winter with my current bike. It's fairly good. Beam has very sharp edge but with high beam it's okay in the woods if trails are fairly flat. Lots of ups and downs and the beam is too limited.

I have the Lupine SL X wired into my 9.8 and it is great. I also recommend the Lupine tail light that is integrated into the seat clamp, as well. We do a lot of night rides, so its just slap a light on the helmet and go.

20210505_175803.jpg

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
I don't need a hardwired light. I run a Niterider 4200 Enduro on the Bars and a Light & Motion SECA 2500 on my Helmet.....All I need to light up the night sky all night.
IMG_2264.jpg

Hcd

Aug 8, 2021
Australia
I have the Lupine SL X wired into my 9.8 and it is great. I also recommend the Lupine tail light that is integrated into the seat clamp, as well. We do a lot of night rides, so its just slap a light on the helmet and go.

View attachment 65590
The Lupone SL X apparently draws 30 W at 2200 lumens for high beam in the default settings, but only 18W at 1600 lumens for high beam in the eco mode. Given the Rail Bosch light power is max 18W, does the light work on high beam in default mode, or do you have to run in eco mode, effectively making this light 1,600 lumens max on a Rail?

GolfMaster52

Oct 19, 2020
Bentonville, Arkansas
I honestly do not know what the output is. But, I never ride in eco mode. On a normal EMTB mode ride, you can have the outer lights on, like daytime running lights on a car. When it transitions to dark, the main light in the middle automatically comes on. Then, anytime you want you can toggle it to bright and it is significantly brighter. Not sure if that helps, but hope so.

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
Last week I installed a Lezyne Macro Drive 1000 in front, a PDW Kepler on the rear. About $120 total. With the Rail wired for the front already, I just had to fish out the wire from the top of the downtube. Rear required taking the cover off of the motor. The Kepler included the Bosch connector, though the wire was way too long so I cut it to size. Brought it to Trek to enable/set wattage.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles