Having a nightmare please help

Lappy 927i ultimate

Jun 15, 2019
Cheshire
Hi I bought a Lapierre 927i Overvolt a week ago I have been having a nightmare trying to connect the E-TUBE app tried everything on the web it says the passkey is wrong.
I took the snake battery out see if it would reset now the bike won’t turn on and nothing on the SHIMANO e8000 display
The blue light on the down tube lights up.
The dealer I bought it from sunset cycles is 200 miles away anyone got any ideas please

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Did you exit the bluetooth pairing on the bike before you disconnected the battery? I believe if you do this it can lock the bike. This video has some info.

You should be able to take it to any Shimano dealer and they should have the ability to sort it, by plugging a lap top in.

One thing you could try doing is disconnecting the lea from the motor to the display at the display, and then reconnecting it - it just pulls out, but pull it by the plastic bit on the end of the connector, not the cable itself.

Where about are you based?

Lappy 927i ultimate

Jun 15, 2019
Cheshire
Hi thanks for your help tried all the connections I have removed the battery and leaving for 5 see if it does anything.
I’m based in Stockport Manchester I’m also not connected on the Bluetooth as I can’t connect it.

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Sounds like you may have several problems. Maybe you have a bad battery connection. Stating the obvious - make sure your battery is charged. Double check the battery connectors are clean and secure and cables to the display are plugged in properly.

If the app is asking you for the passcode - that suggests the phone is communicating to the display. The default password is all 0's - unless someone has changed it earlier. Apparently you need the GPS and Wifi enabled on your device as well for it to work (for some reason).

Lappy 927i ultimate

Jun 15, 2019
Cheshire
Sounds like you may have several problems. Maybe you have a bad battery connection. Stating the obvious - make sure your battery is charged. Double check the battery connectors are clean and secure and cables to the display are plugged in properly.

If the app is asking you for the passcode - that suggests the phone is communicating to the display. The default password is all 0's - unless someone has changed it earlier. Apparently you need the GPS and Wifi enabled on your device as well for it to work (for some reason).
Hi thanks for your reply the connections are all good trouble is the screen won’t come on and no power to it now the only way the blue light comes on the down tube comes on is if u roll the bike backwards
Think it’s going to have to go back.
Was hoping it may have gone into a lock mode or something

STC

Aug 25, 2018
Derbyshire
I had a problem at the weekend connecting to my Merida the passkey on mine was 111111 and not 000000 as stated on the vid above and on the etube app . For the price of these bikes the software seems to be poor , my app wouldn’t load up correctly it kept freezing but I kept trying and eventually it worked .
Hope you get it sorted .

Lappy 927i ultimate

Jun 15, 2019
Cheshire
?????????my bike is now back working. I took it to a local bike shop and the battery seemed to be the problem. When he plugged it in the computer it said no battery connected we removed the battery and it wouldn’t turn on so he pressed and held the button on the side of the battery we put it back in and hey presto it worked again.
The guy said the app is a waste of time it’s years old tech and best to get a lead and use on laptop.
Massive thankyou to everyone who replied to my post trying to help and hopefully it may help someone in the future.
I have bought a spare snake battery today then at least I can check this in future (and ride further)
Cheers everyone

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I found the key with the app is you need to do the Bluetooth pairing via the app - if you connect via Bluetooth settings on your phone it causes problems.

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Good news. It did sound as if the battery was not connected somehow. I’ve had no problems with the app. Don’t agree that it’s old tech. If anything, the PC is older tech but I guess it doesn’t have the Bluetooth step. Pair via the app and you should be OK - and don’t forget the passcode. Anyway, great that you got it working and you can enjoy your new bike!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Try using an iPad or tablet to connect - on one of my bikes the iPad seems to work a lot better than the phone

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It is a bit lame that most E bikes seem restricted to using Bluetooth for connection to an app. More sophisticated systems typically use Bluetooth to make the initial contact with the other device and then set up a private wifi connection....much more powerful and with a vastly higher data rate. Regardless if you are having problems making a Blue tooth connection it is probably due to your phone having an older Android operating system. The app comms on the E Bikes are fairly new so chances are the programs will have been designed only to use the API of the latest series of Android op systems.

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Keep getting the wrong passkey error message, any ideas? Thanks
You could try “Forget this device” or Unpair in your device Bluetooth settings, depending on whether you are using Apple or Android, and then reconnect.

There are some FAQs here
よくあるご質問|E-TUBE PROJECT|シマノ

But what do you do when you forget your passkey? Do you have to drive to the nearest dealer which could be hours away? Seems to be a bit over the top security wise. What’s the worst that can happen? Someone can hack your power level settings! I think there needs to be a way for the user to reset the system and start again.

chrisr

Jun 8, 2018
Wales
You could try “Forget this device” or Unpair in your device Bluetooth settings, depending on whether you are using Apple or Android, and then reconnect.

There are some FAQs here
よくあるご質問|E-TUBE PROJECT|シマノ

But what do you do when you forget your passkey? Do you have to drive to the nearest dealer which could be hours away? Seems to be a bit over the top security wise. What’s the worst that can happen? Someone can hack your power level settings! I think there needs to be a way for the user to reset the system and start again.
It's not showing as having connected previously so no option to forget device unfortunately

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
according to the video you select the "x" and it just uses the default. Are you selecting the tick? The "tick" appears to be only if you have changed the default passcode.

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
My builder had set my passcode to 11111 after their initial setup and didn't tell me, but it seems you have tried that. Did you remember to turn on wifi and location services on your phone? No connect for me if I don't do that...

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@R120 Not sure what you mean by "Bluetooth pairing via the app and not your phone"?

I have the E-Tube Project app on my Motorola mobile using Android. As far as I'm aware the only way that I can connect to my bike is to open the app on my phone and with the display on the bike switched on. I then connect via Bluetooth from my phone as I was shown by the LBS. My bike has the E8000 motor and display.

PS: I have just updated the app and it is version 3.4.3.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Connection via Bluetooth from within an app means that the connection to the bike is part of the script within that app.
Pairing a phone to any Bluetooth equipped device via Bluetooth can be done via the Settings/Connections/ Bluetooth facility ln the phone. R120 was saying do the former not the latter.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
I forgot my passkey, I reset it via pc and the PCE-1 dongle, no need for a dealer.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles