• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Have I made a mistake getting a Maxxis DHF/DHR II combo in 2.3 width...

Baker

Jun 11, 2019
Hayling Island
They seem kind of narrow, more 2.2, If i'd known I would have got 2.5's but I didn't realise until i seated them so non returnable now. I guess not a big deal for summer while it's dry, no?

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
As a matter of fact they could also be of benefit in muddy conditions where a narrower tire better can dig into the mud and achieve better grip than a wider tire that tends to float on top of mud.

Karsten

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
DHF/DHRII are still great tyres even in 2.3/2.4 sizes.
As Karsten says the narrower tyre is actually a benefit in certain types of muddy conditions.
Current Maxxis 2.3 tyres are actually wider than the old 26" 2.5 DH tyre was and that and the original Highroller are probably still the most successful tyres in world cup DH history (back when tracks were actually technical too ;) )
The only thing you need to watch out for is that you'll have to run slightly higher pressures than a wider version. (for puncture/rim protection and sidewall rigidity)

Baker

Jun 11, 2019
Hayling Island
Thanks for all your replies. Mainly riding loamy, rooty forest tracks, park and some southern enduro trails. Never really liked a wide tire upfront, felt skippy, like Karsten says, sat on top rather than dug in, same with rear. Was running spesh ground controls but they ain't great. Will try these for a while and see how I get on, definitely gonna have alot more grip. ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles