Has having an Ebb changed your view on having a battery car?

Has buying an Ebb changed your view on having a battery car?

• Yes and I’m more likely to buy one.

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • No. The technology and/or infrastructure isn’t there yet.

Votes: 33 45.2%
  • No because of cost.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I had the car before the bike!

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • No. Other reason listed below in my comments.

Votes: 6 8.2%

• Total voters

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Most are just toys for the rich at the moment.

They are indeed, but by manufacturing these electric ‘super cars’ the industry is making electric cars desirable, and will eventually filter down to the masses. VW have already released the iD3, Skoda have the Enyaq coming soon, more will follow

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
They are indeed, but by manufacturing these electric ‘super cars’ the industry is making electric cars desirable, and will eventually filter down to the masses. VW have already released the iD3, Skoda have the Enyaq coming soon, more will follow

I think they're desirable because they're expensive and fast, not necessarily because they're electric.

This drip feeding process is hardly going to get the masses in electric vehicles.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I think they're desirable because they're expensive and fast, not necessarily because they're electric.

This drip feeding process is hardly going to get the masses in electric vehicles.

I’m not here to convince you to buy an electric car, I don’t work in the industry and we are all entitled to our own opinions, but going by sales numbers the electric car boom has already started. I read recently that on a global scale ICE car sales have been down by around 5%, whereas electric car sales are up by around 40%. China is way ahead, with Northern Europe and the USA not far behind. The UK has always been a bit slow to adapt to changes, but will soon catch up

In terms of desirability, have you ever driven an electric car? They’re a sheer joy. Silent around town and a pure rush of adrenaline when you floor the pedal. As soon as you’ve driven an electric car it just feels like ICE cars are old ‘dirty’ technology. I do like a petrol engine too, I ride motorbikes, and love the sound of a V Twin roaring through the gear changes, but I can’t wait to have my first go on an electric motorbike

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

I actually think you may have inadvertently hit the nail on the head there - all of a sudden there are desirable electric cars out there, and this is what is influencing the market as a whole - when your only options were a Nissan Leaf or a Renault Zoe you where hardly going to ship in your Golf for one, but now we are seeing cars coming out that are perceived as being cool, and thats trickling down the market place and changing the demographic of those looking at buying them.

Ultimately people aren't going to shell out a load of cash for something that isn't cool, a car will always have some element of being a status symbol

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
You don't need to convince me, I want an electric van, no choice at all two years ago when I bought mine, hoping that it improves over the next few years.

Electric cars aren't silent anyway, road noise, wind noise etc

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If you take the brapp brapp fake pops and bangs crew out the equation, most car noise is from the tyres

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I actually think you may have inadvertently hit the nail on the head there - all of a sudden there are desirable electric cars out there, and this is what is influencing the market as a whole - when your only options were a Nissan Leaf or a Renault Zoe you where hardly going to ship in your Golf for one, but now we are seeing cars coming out that are perceived as being cool, and thats trickling down the market place and changing the demographic of those looking at buying them.

Ultimately people aren't going to shell out a load of cash for something that isn't cool, a car will always have some element of being a status symbol

Yes true but that's a very limited market sector, to really make a difference we need more affordable options.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Electric cars aren't silent anyway, road noise, wind noise etc

That’s why I said silent around town. Stealth mode activated! Although now I believe you have to have an electronic ‘sound’ by law when driving under 30mph for safety for pedestrians

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
That’s why I said silent around town. Stealth mode activated! Although now I believe you have to have an electronic ‘sound’ by law when driving under 30mph for safety for pedestrians

Not in towns I drive through, bang crash every five seconds, I hope the suspension on EVs is well damped :p

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick

Interestingly, the Prius was deliberately designed to look "nerdy" to appeal to the "tree hugger" type early adopters back in the day.
Not every sector or demographic is looking for cool looking cars - if they were all cars would look cool. Design is not an accident.

>moto<

Jan 4, 2021
Sunshine Coast
the only reason renewables are there, is because they are being subsidised, not because they are economically viable. There's not a single business model in existance that could provide for the power generation (needed when cars and heating would become electrified) without burning carbons or nuclear. Not even if you cover all available space on earth in solar and put up millions of fans.

That statement is just plain wrong and clearly not based on any actual information.

The biggest renewable electricty generator in Australia is repalcing coal fired assets with renewables. The projects are paid for in full, with no government subsidies. The comapny generates more electricity from renewable sources than it does it fossil fuelled plants and has done so for many years. As the fossil fuel assets reach end of life they are being decomissioned and replaced with renewable generation.

They are the second biggest generator in Australia (close behind the largest).

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
That statement is just plain wrong and clearly not based on any actual information.

Read his whole post ... especially the bit "needed when cars and heating would become electrified".
If every home and car in Australia was electric most people would be walking as they would not be able to charge their vehicles. That is due to a lack of 'overhead in capacity' and is something virtually every country in the world would run into. Most of us would be freezing our asses off as well as we don't have the moderate climate most of Australia does. Interestingly, even in Australia today there are 'shortages' when the temperature runs into the 30's and air conditioners are fired up everywhere.

** Info based on a trade magazine I was reading several weeks ago while taking a lunch break working at a NZ power station.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Read his whole post ... especially the bit "needed when cars and heating would become electrified".
If every home and car in Australia was electric most people would be walking as they would not be able to charge their vehicles. That is due to a lack of 'overhead in capacity' and is something virtually every country in the world would run into. Most of us would be freezing our asses off as well as we don't have the moderate climate most of Australia does. Interestingly, even in Australia today there are 'shortages' when the temperature runs into the 30's and air conditioners are fired up everywhere.

** Info based on a trade magazine I was reading several weeks ago while taking a lunch break working at a NZ power station.

Here in the UK, the most demand we ever had for electricity was back in 2002, and since then it has dropped by 15%.

The UK isn’t unique in that.

Fossil energy, particularly for road fuels, uses large amounts of electricity too, so as we wean ourselves off those more electricity is available, even before we build new capacity.

Can we also stop using the logical fallacy of ‘if everybody had an electric car and electric home heating’ argument as well? It isn’t going to happen overnight, in the same way nobody worried about whether there’d be enough oil drilling, refining or petrol station capacity when the first ICE cars came out.

We obviously can manage a global move to renewable electricity, and create a lot of good jobs in the process.

It’s such a defeatist attitude to suggest otherwise.

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
You can check how much renewable energy is being utilised for electricity generation in the UK national grid here.
I've seen this as high as 80% and as low as 5%. The 10% from nuclear is constant as nuclear stations are not easy to stop and start. The average for the last year was 26% renewable.
This is renewables in electricity generation which is approx 30% of the UK energy consumption. The rest is transport, industry and agriculture which is over 90% from fossil fuels.
So we have 26% of 30% of all energy from renewables - so very roughly 7% from all the wind farms, solar panels and other renewables.
Extrapolating that we would need 14 times more solar and wind farms to cover all of our needs from renewables which is both unlikely and not planned.
The UK Net Zero 2050 plan includes several assumptions about things like CCSR (carbon capture storage and reuse), a reduction in meat production and consumption and other efficiency measure and carbons sequestration.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
You can check how much renewable energy is being utilised for electricity generation in the UK national grid here.
I've seen this as high as 80% and as low as 5%. The 10% from nuclear is constant as nuclear stations are not easy to stop and start. The average for the last year was 26% renewable.
This is renewables in electricity generation which is approx 30% of the UK energy consumption. The rest is transport, industry and agriculture which is over 90% from fossil fuels.
So we have 26% of 30% of all energy from renewables - so very roughly 7% from all the wind farms, solar panels and other renewables.
Extrapolating that we would need 14 times more solar and wind farms to cover all of our needs from renewables which is both unlikely and not planned.
The UK Net Zero 2050 plan includes several assumptions about things like CCSR (carbon capture storage and reuse), a reduction in meat production and consumption and other efficiency measure and carbons sequestration.

It’s a good site that, and if you put the renewables aspect aside, explodes the myth that ‘there won’t be enough electricity to charge EVs if everybody had one’, clearly there would be if we build more capacity and/or move from road fuel refining electricity demand, at circa 4 kWh per litre.

There are some challenges to overcome with regards to electricity generation, but that’s still the case whether everybody embraces EVs or not, which as I’ve said will not solve the problem, but they certainly shouldn’t make it worse.

>moto<

Jan 4, 2021
Sunshine Coast

That's catering for a short term unexpected demand (yes a hot day is considered unexpected). Knowing the demand for electricity is a different thing. There are power plants called 'peakers' whose only goal is to be started quickly in times of need. If they don't start quick enough, power is lost and the retailers start a process called 'curtailment' which effectively reduces electricity supply to the largest business consumers and redirects to it to homes. The genration is there, it's just not used when not needed.

Point is, this wouldn't happen overnight. People would typically charge their cars at night when electricty is cheapest, the electricity consumption is the lowest and the current infrastucture would be capable of supplying most, if not all of the demand. Add to that the massive reduction is electricty consumed by refining and other costs asscoiated with fossil fuels and you will see it's not that big an issue.

Last edited:

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
About 3 months ago I changed my e-Golf for an ID.3, and it’s the best EV I’ve had to date. I purchased a BMW i3 Rex back in 2014, followed that with a GTE (a hybrid) then the e-Golf and now the ID.3.

It’s early days still, the public charging infrastructure is still building, but it’s massively better than it was even 2 years ago, and if you’ve got access to home or workplace charging then it’s a very workable solution for most people with normal travel requirements.

I wouldn’t be keen to go back to an ICE car now, and I say that as a bit of a petrol head. Maybe it’s an age thing?!

How is the ID.3 going? Only doing about 8k miles a year so am thinking an electric car on lease might be the way forward. Might retain the current Galaxy for long trips and biking, may not bother.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
After owning an ebike there is no way I’d get an electric car.

taking the battery out and keeping it indoors? Would take up half the living room and I’d need a crane to lift it

keeping it stored at 50% charge?

keeping car out of direct sunlight?

letting car cool down before charging?

Keeping a range extender on passenger seat and pretending it is a flask of coffee?

I think I’d rather walk

Last edited:

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
After owning an ebike there is no way I’d get an electric car.

taking the battery out and keeping in indoors? Would take up half the living room and I’d need a crane to lift it

keeping it stored at 50% charge?

keeping car out of direct sunlight?

letting car cool down before charging?

Keeping a range extender on passenger seat and pretending it is

Taking the batteries inside is easy on electric cars now, so nothing to worry about ?

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
If you take the brapp brapp fake pops and bangs crew out the equation, most car noise is from the tyres
When I actually do drive (usually to go shooting). I drive a 2003 4x4 with a very old engine design that sounds like a tractor. My M+S tyres also contribute towards the noise so yeah, you're half right :D(y)

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I’m going to throw a marble into my petrol tank each time I fill up.

This will give me slightly less range each filling cycle.

I just want to experience some of the joy of owning an electric car

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I don’t normally watch this blokes videos, but if I was in the market for an EV, this would be quite off putting.

I stayed in a hotel the night before last which had a Polar charging station. Pulled up and tried to plug in but I needed the BP pulse app to activate the charge. Checked into the hotel and downloaded the app using their wifi. Added my credit card details, topped up the app, went back outside to charge the car and a Porsche Taycan had pulled up next to me and had used the cable I needed (there were three types), so I couldn’t plug in and charge

As my car is a hybrid I wasn’t too bothered as I’d filled up with fuel anyway, but it did make me realise how annoyed I would have been if I was in a full EV and needed that overnight charge to get home the next day. EV charger rage will be the new road rage ?

Last edited:

DT36

Sep 17, 2020
S. Wales
Looking at buying a new van that I intend on modifying the rear interior. This will be something I intend keeping for at least 10 years.
Looked at the Volkswagen T6.1 electric and it's absolutely pants. It's restricted to 56mph with a range of about 80 miles. This is not enough to get me to at least 3 of my work sites.

Now though. Last weekend I rode a KTM Freeride E-XC. What an absolutely brilliant ride and bags of torque. I was on a Suzuki DR400 and couldn't keep up with this bike on some sections.
When I had a go of the KTM, the instant torque/power delivery is mad. Riding wise, it is initially odd because of there being no engine noise and there is no rear footbrake. Other than that, I now want one :)

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Looking at buying a new van that I intend on modifying the rear interior. This will be something I intend keeping for at least 10 years.
Looked at the Volkswagen T6.1 electric and it's absolutely pants. It's restricted to 56mph with a range of about 80 miles. This is not enough to get me to at least 3 of my work sites.

Now though. Last weekend I rode a KTM Freeride E-XC. What an absolutely brilliant ride and bags of torque. I was on a Suzuki DR400 and couldn't keep up with this bike on some sections.
When I had a go of the KTM, the instant torque/power delivery is mad. Riding wise, it is initially odd because of there being no engine noise and there is no rear footbrake. Other than that, I now want one :)

I would absolutely love an electric motorbike. Energica have some great bikes, the Eva Ribelle looks fantastic. Even the HD Livewire looks stunning and I’m not a huge HD fan

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles