Has having an Ebb changed your view on having a battery car?

Has buying an Ebb changed your view on having a battery car?

• Yes and I’m more likely to buy one.

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • No. The technology and/or infrastructure isn’t there yet.

Votes: 33 45.2%
  • No because of cost.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I had the car before the bike!

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • No. Other reason listed below in my comments.

Votes: 6 8.2%

• Total voters

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I've never tried an electric car ..but I'm not against them I just like petrol / diesel motors ..I think I would go down the hybrid route when eventually I'm forced to change

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
I've never tried an electric car ..but I'm not against them I just like petrol / diesel motors ..I think I would go down the hybrid route when eventually I'm forced to change
I think hybrids will go the way of petrol and diesel and will be phased out only a little later than the full blown versions.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
SHMBO got a Mini Electric a few months ago, it's an absolute hoot to drive, quicker than the Cooper S before. It's charged using standard plug in the garage. Okay the range isn't great, but most of the journey's are less than 40-50 miles. I just wish i could fit my Levo in it.

Last edited:

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I've had a Tesla model 3 for a year now.
Best car I've ever owned, and that includes BMW and Mercedes cars I have had.
That does have a caveat of you have a home charger though.
The infrastructure for a Tesla is superb and people's preconceptions of having to have a 500 range on one charge are unfounded.

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
I'd have a Tesla in a heartbeat. I mean, who doesn't want a car with "Ludicrous" mode?

They are a bit out of my price range though.
Have you seen the build quality ?. It put me off and they have this funny chattery ride on the motorway. Its like have a loose air scuttle underneath.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The 3 is tempting, how do you find the saloon boot? I'd rather have a hatch, or even better an estate.

Like this;
1614370125566.png

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Saloon suits my needs perfectly and from someone coming from a BMW 530 estate.
But I did opt for the tow bar, and carry my bike on a rack.
The boot is massive, but you do have the typical restrictions of only having a smallish entrance.
The model Y will be available over in the UK soon and that is a hatchback

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I've never been anti-electric. My next car will be as now there's some real choice starting to appear. But Oz is big, (500km between fills in some National parks isn't a myth) so for touring and towing I'll still have my Defender.

Gordon

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
We have a long country (about 1200km) and all the mountains and good fly fishing/skiing places are up north. And in the winter time when it's cold (minus 20-35C) the capacity of the range drops about 30-40 %. Tested here.

But nothing against e-cars, just waiting better range and charging infrastructure.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
I'm in no hurry to have an electric car as I kinda like the Barra 182 in my Ford Territory for now. I do wish however, that motorcycle EV tech would hurry the hell up. Range isn't an issue and I don't care if I would need to stop for 15 mins every 100km to charge either. We need more infrastructure of course, but the same went for petrol vehicles when they first appeared.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
The reality is that e vehicles for all is an impossibility. I have not found any country that has an adequate supply or electrical grid that is capable of running all those e vehicles.
The biggest issue is that in many countries adding hydro-electric dams is not possible and to be quite frank they just screw up the rivers. Solar panels are good for pulling down ones reliance on the grid, but only really good in certain climates and circumstances. Wind farms are a complete and total environmental joke - they rely on hydrocarbons for construction and to keep them running and they are largely not recyclable. I expect in 10-15 years they will start to fade away as the companies running them go bust.

Have driven several different e vehicles and if I lived in a big city, never going too far there are options that would almost work. Teslas are fun but for me not practical.
Currently I drive a 2L diesel and am happy driving that, but I would rather drive a 60's gas guzzler than an e vehicle as range is something I need with 300 - 700km round trips over hill country fairly regular.

>moto<

Jan 4, 2021
Sunshine Coast
I'd have a Tesla in a heartbeat. I mean, who doesn't want a car with "Ludicrous" mode?

They are a bit out of my price range though.

This ^^^^

A Tesla isn't out out of my price range but, like a $20K eBike I don't see the value in it. For me the Tesla is the only battery option I would consider, I don't think the other options are attractive just yet. Except the Taycan but I'm not about to cough up $400k on a car :p

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
You guys in NZ, your reply’s don’t surprise me. I was there this time a couple of years ago and I couldn’t imagine South or even North Island having the infrastructure to support EV’s. I struggled with petrol on occasions with the miles I was doing. I’m sure you will have a very small percentage of adopters in the main city’s but I think 3 to 5 years before the battery tech makes it viable.

ULEWZ

Nov 27, 2018
Northridge, Ca
I have a Tesla Model 3 Performance and I have no problems with running out of battery. I have travelled 3 times over 1,200 miles each way, and just stop at a Supercharger for about 15 minutes before heading off. 0 to 60 in 3.1 seconds and with my MPP coilovers, it handles almost as good as my Corvette. I bought it because it is the fastest 4 door in my price range. I charge mostly at home, so that is great and never having to hit up a gas station is the best.
20200805_164347.jpg

>moto<

Jan 4, 2021
Sunshine Coast
The reality is that e vehicles for all is an impossibility. I have not found any country that has an adequate supply or electrical grid that is capable of running all those e vehicles.
The biggest issue is that in many countries adding hydro-electric dams is not possible and to be quite frank they just screw up the rivers. Solar panels are good for pulling down ones reliance on the grid, but only really good in certain climates and circumstances. Wind farms are a complete and total environmental joke - they rely on hydrocarbons for construction and to keep them running and they are largely not recyclable. I expect in 10-15 years they will start to fade away as the companies running them go bust.

Not sure where you are sourcing your info from but I would question the validity in some of your statements. Whilst I don't think wind farms are the best answer to our renewable enrgy needs I wouldn't say they are a joke. I worked for one of the biggest gas and electrcity retailers in Australia who is also the biggest renewable energy generator and I can tell you that the wind farm assets are quite profitable. When considering genration assets the $/MW stacks up favourably.

Solar panels also don't need direct sunlight to operate so they stack up in a lot more places than one might expect, but I agree that it is only 'certain climates and circumstances'.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Don't make the mistake of pricing the car on its sticker price.
If you keep it 3 years on pcp, will will pay no fuel, no road tax and no services for 3 years.
Then when you trade it in for a new one it keeps more residual value than most other cars.
It works out cheaper than a low model 3 series BMW.

>moto<

Jan 4, 2021
Sunshine Coast
Can you lend me a tenner? If I ask enough people who can afford a Tesla but don't think the infrastructure's there yet I should be able to buy my own... :ROFLMAO:

Ha, when you quote it like that it makes me sound bad. I wasn't trying to be a douche. I was trying to relay the fact that I don't think they are worth the money. The savings aren't there when compared to a comparative sized fossil fuelled vehicle.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I'm delaying the purchase BECAUSE of emtb ownership, but still keen.

Being an early adopter sucks - apps that don't work, being the first to discover which wires are most vulnerable, and even worse watching newer, better options make your favourite toy a fugly joke.

So last year I bought my last internal combustion vehicle - it was going to be my first ecar, but I just didn't have the confidence in Australian infrastructure.

I'm also waiting for the technology that allows an ecar to double as a home battery bank. It sh1ts me having $1000 worth of emtb lithium sitting in the shed that can't be used for other purposes.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
You guys in NZ, your reply’s don’t surprise me. I was there this time a couple of years ago and I couldn’t imagine South or even North Island having the infrastructure to support EV’s. I struggled with petrol on occasions with the miles I was doing. I’m sure you will have a very small percentage of adopters in the main city’s but I think 3 to 5 years before the battery tech makes it viable.
For us, going electric makes sense as our grid is mostly hydro and wind with some geothermal up north and the occasional coal from Huntly. In fact, if the gummint would stop propping up the Comalco smelter in Vegas, we could add the output of Manapouri to the grid too. Then the SI likely wouldn't need to import power from the NI during winter as we currently do. The fact is we use hydrocarbons during the production of so many things that it makes sense to stop wasting them for transport wherever we can so there's some left for everything else that requires and will continue to require their use going forwards.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Having said my next car will be electric, when I heard that Jag are going all ev by 2025 I really did consider getting an F type R. It'll be sad when the G type is electric. And I'll miss the sound of a V8.

Gordon

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I've been driving a Chevy Bolt since 2017. Best car I've ever had, and I've had a ton over the years
Had solar panels on my house for several years before the car.
My nephew spent 5 years in China as the US manager of the plant.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles