Has anyone upgraded their Bosch powered bike with a nyon or kiox

Davidwylie

Feb 7, 2020
Leicestershire
Has anyone changed the basic purion controller to a Nyon or Kiox one? Whats involved and is it worth it?

I changed mine for the Kiox ..Easy enough job to fit, drop the motor, plug the cable in and that about it.. Is it worth it? I like mine, gives you so much more information on each ride, and now the latest version of the software will have basic navigation.. If you have a couple of hundred quid burning a hole in your pocket after not going to the pub during lockdown, then go for it, but if cash is a bit tight then maybe not.

Jul 5, 2020
belgium
i did mine last week (cube stereo 2019). i just needed to remove the cranks and then the plastic shroud and the wire could be reached with some fiddling (the motor is a cx gen3). Verry happy with the end result as the purion display is way to limited.

Last edited:

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
Just did mine, Orbea Wild FS, pretty easy. Don’t even have to drop the motor, just take the plastic cover out, battery out, battery holder and fish the Purion and cable out. Install is the reverse. Took me just 1 hour.

In the process I learned that to move the bottom battery bracket for the 625w battery, I don’t need to take out the motor, even though the blue paper said so.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
I’d like to do the opposite and get rid of the screen. All I need is two buttons and something to show battery left. I don’t like the display.

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
One thing I don’t understand is the lock feature. It said with the lock feature, the motor is not operable when the kiox is disconnected. This is the case regardless you have the lock feature anyway? I can’t turn power assist on without my kiox in place. Anyone has the lock feature activated and can tell the difference?

Gazzaaitken

Nov 7, 2019
Scotland
One thing I don’t understand is the lock feature. It said with the lock feature, the motor is not operable when the kiox is disconnected. This is the case regardless you have the lock feature anyway? I can’t turn power assist on without my kiox in place. Anyone has the lock feature activated and can tell the difference?
I think that it needs to be the kiox that is linked to the bike, if your bike was stolen you cant just put another kiox on, it wont work if the lock feature is on.
If you don't have the lock feature on, you could add any kiox and it would work I believe.

Jul 5, 2020
belgium
I think that it needs to be the kiox that is linked to the bike, if your bike was stolen you cant just put another kiox on, it wont work if the lock feature is on.
If you don't have the lock feature on, you could add any kiox and it would work I believe.
u got it right on the nose without the lock anyone with a kiosk could start your bike.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
I’m in the states, but bought it from amazon UK. You’ll get cheaper price when you check out since they’ll reduce the VAT for US customers

High Rock Ruti

Sorry to bother can't find purion to kiox conversion on Amazon UK please send link if possible

Warm Regards

Ruti

20200622_083501.jpg

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
would u rather throw away the bike? besides u need to register with bosch when u setup the device so it easy to verify u are the owner.

I would rather it to provide actual protection, like locking the motor so you can’t pedal at all. Just deactivate the assist won’t help. When thieves steal your bikes they don’t put their kiox and test if it’s working or not, they just take it and pedal away.

Jul 5, 2020
belgium
I would rather it to provide actual protection, like locking the motor so you can’t pedal at all. Just deactivate the assist won’t help. When thieves steal your bikes they don’t put their kiox and test if it’s working or not, they just take it and pedal away.
i would like that too but no e-bike has that function . i mean u can take any ebike (that isn't locked up) and pedal away. i don't see how that's a kiox specific problem as this is the thread about the kiox upgrade.

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
Then the lock is useless. How can the dealer verify you are the owner other than buying used?
It's nothing to do with the dealer. Bosch will not release the motor paired to the Kiox unless you have proof of purchase. You pay for Bosch to link the serial numbers of the Kiox and motor linked.
When I took mine in for a service the dealer asked me to remove the lock feature before I left the bike

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
then how would you pedal if your battery died. point of the lock feature is to make in less desirable to steel. Who want an electric bike thats not electric. It still can be stolen its just a 25kg normal bike

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
then how would you pedal if your battery died. point of the lock feature is to make in less desirable to steel. Who want an electric bike thats not electric. It still can be stolen its just a 25kg normal bike

I would assume it only start to lock when the kiox is removed. Given the kiox battery is independent to the bike, at any given time you’ll always run out of bike battery first before the kiox by quite a big margin since the kiox is constantly charged when its on.

That’s my point, thieves can’t tell if your bike has this lock function or not. They will steal it regardless.

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
i would like that too but no e-bike has that function . i mean u can take any ebike (that isn't locked up) and pedal away. i don't see how that's a kiox specific problem as this is the thread about the kiox upgrade.

It’s a discussion of feature offered and marketed on kiox. Part of why people mentioned they’re upgrading to kiox. This is why the discussion is worthwhile to see if this feature should be deciding factor on upgrading to kiox or not. To me it’s still a worthwhile upgrade but not for the lock feature especially when you have to pay subscription for it

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
It’s a discussion of feature offered and marketed on kiox. Part of why people mentioned they’re upgrading to kiox. This is why the discussion is worthwhile to see if this feature should be deciding factor on upgrading to kiox or not. To me it’s still a worthwhile upgrade but not for the lock feature especially when you have to pay subscription for it
It a one off payment of £8, not a subscription. the payment is for Bosch to store your serial numbers

Kenny Barclay

Jul 25, 2020
INVERNESS
Has anyone changed the basic purion controller to a Nyon or Kiox one? Whats involved and is it worth it?
Hi. I got the dealer to upgrade mine to a KIOX when I collected my Orbea Wild FS. It cost me 200 quid and I sold my puiron for 75 quid. Much better display. It has now been upgraded and can show routes. Can download routes from Internet as GPX files and via the connect app send to the KIOX display. Great if its somewhere new you are with the bike. Kenny

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

Sorry to bother can't find purion to kiox conversion on Amazon UK please send link if possible

Warm Regards

Ruti

View attachment 35579
High Rock Ruti

Just ordered from my local bike shop $360 USD in the States, going from Purion to Kiox. I have the Kiox on the Orbea wild FS Team love the display and functions, Purion is so like 2010 man!

N9VNS

Jun 26, 2020
South Wales
Looking to upgrade to the kiox on my new whyte e160. Much prefer the kiox display than the dated purion.

Last edited:

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

I have the kiox upgrade kit I'll let you know after installation, I have the kiox on my orbea fantastic display really easy to navigate the various screens on the fly

Warm Regards

Ruti

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles