Has anyone upgraded rear derailleur to XTR Di2?

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Thinking about upgrading my mechanical XT rear derailleur and shifter to XTR Di2 12 speed once my Decoy arrives. Has anyone done this? Not sure if I need to get a different RD frame hanger and if electronic shifter is compatible with SRAM Code RSC brake levers that come stock. Pretty sure XT 12 speed rear cassette would work with. XTR RD.

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Did you manage to do this yet?
I never pulled the trigger on this upgrade, decided to stick with original XT rear mech (on advice from trustworthy owner of LBS who swears how smooth XT shifts and he is right!). Really wanted to transfer my SRAM AXS drivetrain from an acoustic bike I already owned, but compatibility was an issue. Shimano being Shimano uses a spline driver for their 12 speed cassette and wheelset I want to swap the SRAM AXS with was not compatible. Didn't want to have Frankenstein component set-ups on both bikes although after much research and feedback from riders on this site, many use Shimano cassette with SRAM bits and pieces and SRAM Eagle cassette with Shimano parts with no issues. The bike I wanted to do this on is YT DECOY ELITE and the XT shifter is mounted to handlebar with dedicated clamp, so compatibility with SRAM brake levers was moot.

alexhalliow

Nov 5, 2020
Isle of Wight
I never pulled the trigger on this upgrade, decided to stick with original XT rear mech (on advice from trustworthy owner of LBS who swears how smooth XT shifts and he is right!). Really wanted to transfer my SRAM AXS drivetrain from an acoustic bike I already owned, but compatibility was an issue. Shimano being Shimano uses a spline driver for their 12 speed cassette and wheelset I want to swap the SRAM AXS with was not compatible. Didn't want to have Frankenstein component set-ups on both bikes although after much research and feedback from riders on this site, many use Shimano cassette with SRAM bits and pieces and SRAM Eagle cassette with Shimano parts with no issues. The bike I wanted to do this on is YT DECOY ELITE and the XT shifter is mounted to handlebar with dedicated clamp, so compatibility with SRAM brake levers was moot.
That’s interesting to know - especially that it’s a decoy elite as that’s what I’m looking to do it on.
ive got the bike on order. Be good to see some pictures of your bike and see how it looks as most of the images online are manufacturer images

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
That’s interesting to know - especially that it’s a decoy elite as that’s what I’m looking to do it on.
ive got the bike on order. Be good to see some pictures of your bike and see how it looks as most of the images online are manufacturer images
Here are some pics. I upgraded tires, dropper post, saddle, stem, bars and grips. Decoy Elite comes stocked with great components and will hold its own right out of the box! I am partial to what type cockpit components I like and really love the Fox Transfer Dropper, but went with the AXS to keep continuity with my other bikes. Decoy is super easy to assemble and YT packs that baby better than any other manufacturer I ever seen. Getting the rear mech on right is probably the biggest challenge.

20201114_142609.jpg

20201114_142435.jpg

20201114_142706.jpg

20201114_142727.jpg

20201114_142751.jpg

20201114_142806.jpg

20201114_142815.jpg

20201114_142834.jpg

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA

Info from previous post.

Josey Wales

Nov 29, 2020
UK
Hi,

I have the 2019 with the D2i. I have a spare mech hanger that will fit. Would love to swap it for the shorter 2020 mechanical version.

Josey Wales

Nov 29, 2020
UK
Hi, sorry for the confusion; I only have the hanger spare, I'm keeping the derailluer.
I'm looking to swap the 2019 hanger (Di2 compatible), for a 2020 version.

alexhalliow

Nov 5, 2020
Isle of Wight
Hi again, My elite should be arriving soon. I am wanting to do the Di2, so will obviously need to change the cassette to a 11 speed. Few questions- I believe the Elite Synthesis wheels have i9 1/1 Hubs with a Microspline? in this case I wonder if I could fit an 11 Speed sunrace cassette, or will it not fit due to being 11 speed?

My other option is to change the i9 free hub to an HG instead of micro spline and fit a Shimano XT 11 Speed Cassette? this bit seems to be the biggest challenge, everything else should be a doddle... I hope anyway..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles