Has anyone tried 29" front wheel?

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Just curious as I've rode a spesh Levo and couldn't believe how fast it rolled.
I'm aware it will affect the head angle, just like to know if it's been done

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
no but considered it - issue for me is that I went up to 180mm up for for about 6 months on mine, and concluded I dint like what it did to the geometry, the added benefits for me of the extra travel where outweighed by the bike lifting more on climbs, and not being quite as fling able into corners.

As such if going to 29 ups front I would want to go down to 160mm.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
no but considered it - issue for me is that I went up to 180mm up for for about 6 months on mine, and concluded I dint like what it did to the geometry, the added benefits for me of the extra travel where outweighed by the bike lifting more on climbs, and not being quite as fling able into corners.

As such if going to 29 ups front I would want to go down to 160mm.
Yeah, I thought about you going 180 and not liking it and the 160 method which only takes a new damper rod which I've been threatening to put debonair in.
Just thinking out loud, my van conversions taking all my money atm.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I don't think they will, if they do it will be with a small profile tyre.

I would add that the 180mm wasn't bad, and if I was riding bike park as my main riding it wouldn't really be an issue, I just found that for the majority of my riding 170mm works better, and I think that Vitus have done such a good job out the box with the bike that it easier to make it worse than better if you are not carefull.

Kronreif

Dec 12, 2018
Finland
I've tested 29" wheel with 2.35" Magic Mary (2019 VR E-Sommet)
Mud clearance is a bit too tiny. Doable, but scrapes in fork with mud/soil in tyre.

David0208

Mar 30, 2019
United Kingdom
I did.

It was initially out of necessity as I had a tear in my from tyre, so I put my Spesh Enduro front wheel so I could get out.

It worked. It worked REALLY well. In fact I started looking to but a 29" front wheel for the Vitus.

Ignoring geometry, technical advice, it just worked. If you have the opportunity to borrow a wheel from a friend or another bike then give it a go.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I did.

It was initially out of necessity as I had a tear in my from tyre, so I put my Spesh Enduro front wheel so I could get out.

It worked. It worked REALLY well. In fact I started looking to but a 29" front wheel for the Vitus.

Ignoring geometry, technical advice, it just worked. If you have the opportunity to borrow a wheel from a friend or another bike then give it a go.
What size tyre was on the spezh wheel and did you notice better rolling?

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
Running a 29 on the front on my Fezzari. It's made to accept 27.5 or 29. The back is running the 27.5 @ 2.8w with HUGE knobbies. I ride a lot of soft sand and IMHO, the width is helpful.

The large front helps roll through/over obstacles. I genuinely notice a big difference between the two sizes. Geometry? What geometry??? My ability to keep moving and avoid unanticipated trips OTB is much improved.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles