• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Has anyone successfully used STunlocker on EP8 ?

Motohawk75

Dec 30, 2020
U.K.
Hi
Has anyone installed ST Unlocker and changed the region to USA from Europe to increase the speed limit on the EP8 motor ?
I have purchased the license but it’s says I have to down grade the firmware to make it work ...... has anyone done this yet ?
happy to do it but don’t want it to cause running issues ...... ?‍♀️

kendo

Sep 2, 2019
Scotland
Hi
Has anyone installed ST Unlocker and changed the region to USA from Europe to increase the speed limit on the EP8 motor ?
I have purchased the license but it’s says I have to down grade the firmware to make it work ...... has anyone done this yet ?
happy to do it but don’t want it to cause running issues ...... ?‍♀️
Been on the ep8 site on Facebook. A few are using Stunlocker on the ep8 and say it works fine. Others say that datalog in the motor cannot be scrubbed so warranty would be voided. In conclusion seems like it works fine on the ep8 but there is a load of hooha from some about not being able to clear data log.

Matt_Rider

Jul 13, 2020
Melbourne Australia
Been on the ep8 site on Facebook. A few are using Stunlocker on the ep8 and say it works fine. Others say that datalog in the motor cannot be scrubbed so warranty would be voided. In conclusion seems like it works fine on the ep8 but there is a load of hooha from some about not being able to clear data log.

Some spanner on the group is saying he's going to microwave his EP8 to wipe it before any warranty work needs done. WTF.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l've got a 2020 STEPS 8000 motor in my new Ebike.
l bought it NOS a few weeks and in my enthusiasm downloaded the latest firmware.

l purchased the Stunlocker app and it worked fine but the premium license part wouldn't work.

l followed the instructions provided by Stunlocker to downgrade the FW from 4.9 to 4.8

After that l was able to buy the premium app, the license download pretty much instantly and l was then able to alter the wheel circumference and set the country to USA.
The wheel circumference was set at 2350mm and l measured the actual figure at 2260mm so l set it to that, l know it's only around 5% but it's nice to get it fully accurate.

The circumference can of course be set to whatever you want, the smaller you
set it the faster the bike will go under motor assistance, but the speedometer won't be accurate.

Obviously l only use the bike in USA mode when l am on private land.

When riding on the street it takes a minute with the app to restore the U.K. speed limit of 15.5mph and can be done out on the trail without any mobile signal

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles