Has anyone solved the BB creaking yet?

RonBO

Sep 19, 2018
Israel
Hi, I'm Ron, new to the forum, have has the e160 for a while.... great bike, I love it.

Saw the thread on BB lateral play and creaking, so I know I'm not the only one with that issue.
Has anyone here resolved it yet?
Does anyone have photos of an open Shimano motor on the drive chain side? (I've seen the post with the other side)
Has anyone swapped or cleaned the bearings?
Please let me know..
Thanks,
Ron

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Nope. It's a warranty job. New motor is the fix. (Unless you've had the bike more than two years. In which case you've nothing to lose opening your motor case and taking a look for yourself)

RonBO

Sep 19, 2018
Israel
Nope. It's a warranty job. New motor is the fix. (Unless you've had the bike more than two years. In which case you've nothing to lose opening your motor case and taking a look for yourself)

Thanks Gary,
It's 1 year old ... so still under warranty, But I think it's going to be a struggle to get a new motor for it...
My brother and I both have an e160, it's actually his bike that creaks, mine is silent but with lateral play.... so I'll let him deal with it ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Shouldn't be a problem. There are plenty Merida dealers around. And once diagnosed the motor is sent to Madison to be replaced. It's a PITA the time thus can take but other than that fairly straightforward.

RonBO

Sep 19, 2018
Israel
Shouldn't be a problem. There are plenty Merida dealers around. And once diagnosed the motor is sent to Madison to be replaced. It's a PITA the time thus can take but other than that fairly straightforward.

Thing is, this type of issue is going to occur in the new motor after a while....
I'm a do it yourself type of guy, so eventually I would like to just be able to do it myself once in a while, just like on a normal bike.
I won't void the warranty for it, but in 1 year it will be worth knowing and having the dedicated tools ( which differ from a regular BB)... would be nice if they made it swappable from outside the motor covers

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles