Has anyone managed to get a test ride on any 2021 Whyte e-bikes (160 or 180)

DOMBUSH

Aug 10, 2020
Cambridge
Understandably the 2020 demo days on the Whyte events page have been axed.

Has anyone managed to get a demo ride from a stockist / LBS?

I could be wrong but I get a sense that even though the bikes are press launched, that doesnt = stock for sale.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have just "went for it" three times when buying analogue bikes off the 'net.

You have to do your due diligence. ie check reviews, check geometry (especially if you are an odd proportion, like me).
I never had a bad one and they always fitted me after a few minor tweaks.

I still did the due diligence, but I didn't buy my emtb off the 'net though. Too many unknowns about the level of support for my taste. But buying a Whyte bike is different for a Brit. Whyte is a British company and the bike is designed by Brits for British conditions. Best of all, they are available from an LBS near you!

I have no current desire to change my Focus Jam2 9.6 NINE, but when I do the Whyte will be well up there.

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Just went for it.
Having said that I wasn’t buying completely blind... I’ve had a couple of Whyte (unassisted) hardtails before so I’m aware of their general geo. The manager of my LBS also happens to be one of my best mates and knows how and where I ride - he wouldn’t let me buy something that wasn’t suitable (he previously talked me out of buying an e180 for example).

Kentish

Nov 5, 2019
Kent
Understandably the 2020 demo days on the Whyte events page have been axed.

Has anyone managed to get a demo ride from a stockist / LBS?

I could be wrong but I get a sense that even though the bikes are press launched, that doesnt = stock for sale.

I rented the new E 160 from Quench Cycles in Kent to try it out a few weeks ago. They’ve got a few on their fleet.

I do appreciate Kent isn’t near anywhere else though. France is quite possibly closer than you! ?

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
More and more new eebs getting released but i find myself going back to the whyte line up. Id like to hear more. Bouncing between 160 and 180. Standover may decide it. My funnest bikes all had great standover as the standout feature when everything else was equal ish.
Has it been confirmed that both the e160 and e180 2021 has the cables under the motor/bb are now rerouted internally?

Giox

Aug 4, 2020
Switzerland/Italy
What sort of riding do you do?
Downdurotrailxcriverside.... :)
I'm not a good rider, I, actually we my wife and my son mostly ride park two weeks a year and a few days in Finale but beside that we end up doing a few xc loops because It's too hard to reach proper trails where we live. I was hoping to solve that with the motors. But when we'll reach the trails they will be hard and rocky ligurian and alpine trails. My current bike is a Radon Swoop, 170 both sides and I really like the geometry, which looks similar to the E-180.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Makes perfect sense. Theres very little weight penalty between 160 and 180 bikes and the motor overcomes the majority of the suspension action for the climbs, or atleast the difference in travel

Healy

Oct 4, 2020
Forest of dean
To be fair I’m buying blind to Whyte. Pedalabike away sold them and the coaches ride them so went for it. My brother has had a whyte g150 in the past and it’s been a great bike. His son now rides it. Really can’t wait for my e180s

andydurrant

Sep 29, 2020
Nantwich
first thoughts after two local rides. Incredible bike, the e180rs has blown me away, best bike I’ve ever ridden.

coming from a 14kg carbon g170crs I was worried about the weight affect, but honestly it’s rarely noticeable when descending. It’s like an agile freight train, and it climbs like a mountain goat.

andydurrant

Sep 29, 2020
Nantwich
That's a better way of phrasing it than i could come up with. :D

on the go it feels like line choice isn't a thing, the ground has to give way to the bike.
Totally agree, it a ground mover, I’ve been faster over stuff that ever before, and it feels planted, secure and dialed. Crazy considering I’ve not actually properly set the suspension up - only a quick setup in the shop.

Jumping it’s also very balanced and I can get it in the air and styled without much more effort than my G170CRS.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles