Has anyone hard wired a light into their Levo?

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
The M99 mini seems to do 16-17 watts, and the rep is saying that sometimes doesn’t work.

So I think that means things get iffy around 16 watts.

Cant wait until my lights come tomorrow.

TMS

Apr 7, 2019
Finland
The M99 mini seems to do 16-17 watts, and the rep is saying that sometimes doesn’t work.

So I think that means things get iffy around 16 watts.

Cant wait until my lights come tomorrow.
I assume that converter max output is 3 A and max effiency is 0,92 %.

Max power drawn from port is going to be about (3 A * 5 V )/ 0.92 % = 16.3 W. I bet every light will work if they need under 3 A current.

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
Is it possible to build some kind of electric choke that balances the current peak?

The normal thing to do is just not go over their limit or talk Specialized into relaxing how often they throw that error code.

I am just going to try a bunch of lights and go with the brightest one that works. Will know tomorrow.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
I just installed the Lupine SL-SF hard wired headlight on my 2020 Levo. After a couple challenges it is working perfectly and is an elegant solution.... Fishing the cable through the frame, which has a couple choke points, caused us to damage the connector. I happened to have a spare cable and after talking to the folks at Lupine we cut the original connector off and put a new one on. It worked perfectly. They are having some issues with the 2020's and the SL-SF light and I suspect this might be the cause of the problem. The light is perfect, makes a ton of light, and is easily controlled on the handlebar. If anyone is interested in installing this light, reach out to me directly and I'll give you some tips that will make the process easier.

lupine2.jpg

lupine.jpg

lupine3.jpg

lupine4.jpg

gipsy

May 29, 2019
Croatia
I just installed the Lupine SL-SF hard wired headlight on my 2020 Levo. After a couple challenges it is working perfectly and is an elegant solution.... Fishing the cable through the frame, which has a couple choke points, caused us to damage the connector. I happened to have a spare cable and after talking to the folks at Lupine we cut the original connector off and put a new one on. It worked perfectly. They are having some issues with the 2020's and the SL-SF light and I suspect this might be the cause of the problem. The light is perfect, makes a ton of light, and is easily controlled on the handlebar. If anyone is interested in installing this light, reach out to me directly and I'll give you some tips that will make the process easier.

View attachment 21348

View attachment 21349

View attachment 21350

View attachment 21351
It looks nice and neat, does it goes on as soon as you turn on the bike? Can you switch it off on remote?
Thanks

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
It looks nice and neat, does it goes on as soon as you turn on the bike? Can you switch it off on remote?
Thanks

Yes, I think it the daylight running light comes on when you start the bike, but you can turn it off... Not sure I'll use the DLR for trail riding!

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
I took my inaugural night ride with the Lupine SL SF system tonight. Worked seamlessly, plenty of light, though not quite as much as my $400 Serfas True 1500+ system.... Started out with a little light and the light automatically ran as DRL, then as I got into the woods, it automatically switched to Low Beam.... switching back and forth was really easy with the handlebar controls... So much better than having to remember to charge and install the Serfas system, and having the opportunity to end up unintentionally riding into dark, which is very easy this time of year. I give it five stars!

lupine6.jpg

lupine 7.jpg

lupine 8.jpg

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
How are you getting the cable to feed through the frame please on 2019 Levos? I’ve tried magnets and inner brake cable to put a lead line I. But no joy.

couplands

Jul 16, 2019
Peak District and Cornwall, UK
Put a lead line in, I used some stiff, thin wire. Pull it up from the bottom, the plug gets caught if you try and pull it down. Mine is a alu frame, so there is a cover that comes off just by the tube that runs under the rear shock. I don’t think the carbon models have the removable cover so may be harder to pull the cable.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Put a lead line in, I used some stiff, thin wire. Pull it up from the bottom, the plug gets caught if you try and pull it down. Mine is a alu frame, so there is a cover that comes off just by the tube that runs under the rear shock. I don’t think the carbon models have the removable cover so may be harder to pull the cable.
Thanks mine is the Carbon so no plate but will try from the bottom

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
How did you remove that cover? I was not able to.

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden
I just installed an old Magicshine lamp hard wired to the battery.
Remove rear shock.
Feed in a gear wire housing through the engine area. Works after a while. Kept bike rotated with front wheel pointing down and rear wheel pointing up. Use some tape on the lamp cable and feed it through.

nathanjones

Oct 3, 2019
Bainbridge Island, WA
Does anyone know the size of the bolt for the cable entry port by the TCU? Is there a trick to getting it off?

I finally got my Lupine light delivered and managed to get the cable fed through the frame, but I can't seem to get that bolt off to feed the wire through the frame.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Does anyone know the size of the bolt for the cable entry port by the TCU? Is there a trick to getting it off?

I finally got my Lupine light delivered and managed to get the cable fed through the frame, but I can't seem to get that bolt off to feed the wire through the frame.

Loosen the motor mount bolt

Chaindog

Nov 20, 2018
Germany
What do you mean? Do you have to apply too much force and are stripping the bolt? The Bolt should only be tightened with 1 NM according to Service Workbook.

nathanjones

Oct 3, 2019
Bainbridge Island, WA
What do you mean? Do you have to apply too much force and are stripping the bolt? The Bolt should only be tightened with 1 NM according to Service Workbook.

It must have been assembled with too much force because it definitely doesn't want to come up and it's getting stripped.

I ended up just cutting the cable in half, pushing it through, then splicing it. That worked fine.

I'll take it to the LBS to sort out why that screw is stuck and get some new ones.

TMS

Apr 7, 2019
Finland
The hex is small and the bolt head is wide. Lots of friction there. Easy to strip the bolt. I did it too. Be careful.

JaySal

Sep 23, 2019
Todwick
I think you can turn the Lupine off. I’ve been look at these too but they’re £288 and I think you need to buy the wire on top of that. A bit too rich for my blood. The Lezyne Macro Drive looks decent (1000lumen) and is much more reasonable but I can’t find any compatibility information. It says it’s compatible with the ‘18 Brose but no mention of the 2.1.

Lezyne Macro Drive 1000 eBike Front Light | Chain Reaction Cycles

I’d be interested to know if anyone manages to find a decent light, both for night time single track as well as commuting. Or, if anyone spots the Lupine SL SF on offer anywhere...

I've just ordered this light and the cable as it's now showing compatible with the Brose S motor. Did you try it?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0043/1246/5494/files/Y13-E-BIKECompatibilityChart.pdf?3367

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles