• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Has anyone ever derestricted a Rocky Mountain?

Cuddles

Apr 22, 2020
North Vancouver
Just wondering. Never seen any info on it.
any updates on this - I saw elsewhere in the forums that the answer is "Mountain Tuning Tools" - interestingly they state on the site will not ship to US or Cdn - anybody have any other info; I have a 2019 RM and would really like to know of anyones experiences with it or any options that may exist

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
the Mountain Tuning looks like a superior solution and would be my first choice as the "proper" method to derestrict via software.

There is also a PLANET3 option available. I am personally not a fan of speed boxes or mechanical devices that alter the signal from the rear wheel as this creates other problems, but they do seem to work and if your only goal is to defeat the 25kph limit then you will achieve this. But your speed reading and odometer is going to be incorrectly displayed and it is possible this could cause the motor not to run optimally.

Alex @ PLANET3.bike

Jun 18, 2019
Zagreb
MTT only looks superior until you realize it costs 300 EUR, can only be paired with one bike and never transferred to another and almost certainly voids your warranty. But hey.. that's only my opinion. :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles