Has anyone bought an Ebike without riding one ?

Nxxi

Nov 7, 2019
Rotherham, Uk
I'm picking up my Focus Sam2 6.8 next Monday and have never ridden it. It looks right, sat nice in the shop and I got a great price ?

Nov 19, 2018
Quantocks
I bought my 2019 Levo without riding any ebike before.
Rob's review and an article on e-moutainbike was enough to convince me I'd made the right choice and I've never looked back.
I can still remember the grin on my face when I jump onboard the first time.
Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes , I did a load of research on componentry and Battery capacity and then Ordered a Norco Sight VLT 2 based on pricing and suspension design/travel along with battery capacity the major criteria to sort the lemons from the cream .
Once I got to ride it , I was smitten to the core , now 6 months later I am still in love , but the new Range VLT Norco announced about a month ago has some tasty allure ..... I will stay with the Sight though as the change over costs involved are money better spent elsewhere when the differences are examined closely and balanced with the likely hood of my using that extra travel on most of my riding , as I only use about 60 - 80 % of the travel on most rides .

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
I built my first ebike with a cyclone kit and a gt lts before regulated emtbs were a thing, does that count?

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
During one of our trips to NoveMesto (CZ) we hired a eMTB (Trek) on site, and 4 of us got a ride during that day.
That's when we knew it was great, and I looked all over for a discounted eMTB during the winter, and finally got a new Focus Jam2 at 2000£ (1 bike 1 day offer).
It has been absolutely superb.

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
I sort of did. I test-rode a Specialized Turbo Vado one lunch time and was immediately hooked on e-bikes. I oscillated between getting a commuter style bike like the Vado or an MTB like the Levo. After some passage of time, I ended up buying a Giant Fathom e-bike having never ridden one. I picked the size using size charts and comparing to my existing bike. I watched reviews and read all the specs in minute detail. When I finally got the bike, it fit me perfectly and rode exactly how I imagined it.

nikkis

Sep 4, 2019
London
Yes bought w/o ever riding one. First ride was good and I was amazed how seamless the experience can be. Almost a year on one now and would not change a thing.
same here...however I used an online calculator in order to understand the correct size for me before ordering.

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
Yep, no test rides , never ridden one, bought on line. I remember how excited I was when it was delivered, built it up and went outside , actually a little apprehensive. First ride grinning like a psycho, couldn’t believe the power in Turbo. One of the best things I’ve ever done ???

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I bought both my Treks without riding them. I was going to buy a Decoy and if I hadn’t test ridden one I probably would have but it turns out I don’t really like the Shimano motor, so I dodged a bullet there.

Channing

Oct 7, 2019
Kelowna, Canada
I bought both my Treks without riding them. I was going to buy a Decoy and if I hadn’t test ridden one I probably would have but it turns out I don’t really like the Shimano motor, so I dodged a bullet there.

Which motor do you like? I like my Shimano, but never tried anything else..

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
I rode one around a car park 2 years ago and remember thinking how the weight disappeared once rolling. I then spent until a month ago trying to resist until I could resist no more.

Basically makes all the bits of mountain biking I previously enjoyed even better. And made the bits I didn’t enjoy enjoyable. In fact, technical climbs are now almost as fun up as they are down.

And weirdly it’s made me enjoy my road bike (not ebike) more .

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Which motor do you like? I like my Shimano, but never tried anything else..

I like the Bosch. The Brose is too unreliable for my liking and has a habit of failing in spectacular fashion which could strand you on a trail and having to ride a 20+ kilo bike back to the car. The Bosch isn’t much better but tends to remain functional when the bearings fail.
Every Shimano I’ve ridden on or with has been louder than my Bosch and I could really feel the lower torque when I test rode a few.

DeezNutzz

Jan 13, 2020
Temecula
Yup I bought a Norco Sight VLT2 without trying an EBike but I’ve been riding MTBs for over 5 years and racing so I was like “what the heck” lol and boom now I’m in love with Emtb

Pondboy

Jan 15, 2020
Mas de Barberans, Catalunya
Yes, I bought my Turbo Levo Comp at the beginning of the year having only ridden my wife's 3 year old ladies Cube emtb when she first got it. As I had my knees in my armpits, that doesn't really count as a test ride.

Very happy with the purchase.

Oldcrank

Jan 5, 2020
Albuquerque NM
Wow! I am not alone is getting an emtb sight in seen. Two actually; got my bride one, too!

I felt a bit weird getting a 2020 Giant Stance e+2 having only ridden a Giant city e-bike and a Trek emtb. Both over a year ago. The Yamaha motor was noticeably better than the Bosch & the price of the Stance was close to $2K less.
Only picked them up 3 days ago. Wet days to boot.
So far..... I am very pleased! ?

Astom22

Jan 11, 2020
Celina, TX
After four years with my Trance 2, I ordered my 2020 YT Decoy and have never even seen an ebike in person.

Came yesterday and assembled last night, still have yet to ride it, pouring rain here.
IMG_20200116_234349__01.jpg

hilli017

Jan 24, 2021
Hampshire
I brought my giant stance e 2 at the end of the summer. Stocks were so low for the xl frame but managed to find one in Lincoln so got that on the credit card ? (I'm very impatient) being in lockdown i had to pay a delivery guy to bring it to me which took a few days. Squeaky bumb time...... after a trip to my local giant store for a health check as things weren't quite right, I now love it!! Just need the decent weather to come now....! ?

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Yup, actually I''ve bougtht four emtbs without riding them.... the first ebike I rode was my 18 levo after i picked it up

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I didn’t ride either of my ebikes Before buying. Picked my Cube up and rode it home grinning from ear to ear! Haven’t ridden the latest one yet, as I’ve been fettling, but know it’ll be spot on.

Norcalsl

Jul 12, 2020
Northern California
I was in the market for an ebike last summer. I wanted the lightest ebike on the market, so the clear choice for me was a Levo SL. My LBS did not have any in stock to ride, but I ordered one straight away. I've put 700 miles on it since August. Best money I've ever spent.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
I test rode a few Haibikes on an LBS organised ride in 2017.

Bought my Giant E+1 Pro without riding it.

I have never test ridden anything I’ve bought.

I’ll buy a Trance X Pro 29 1 this year without riding it.

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
Sure did. On the strength of Rob's YouTube recommendation, I bought a 2020 Vitus e-sommet Sunset at the end-of-season sale at Wiggle.

Fantastic bike and solid review from Rob...

j3ayy

Oct 10, 2020
North Yorkshire
Got it into my head that i wanted one, so went to my LBS & put a deposit on one without even testing ?? Just got to wait until June for Rail 9 to arrive ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles