Hardseven 1.0 Dropper seat?

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
Hi, was thinking of getting a dropper seat for my wife Hardseven 1.0 as it will help her out a lot along with helping her gain confidence.

has anyone fitted a dropper seat to a Hardseven or any hard tail haibike. It is easy enough to do, would rather get her one that i can hide the cable in the frame to look better.... Any ideas what is best for her, she's only short and won't need a high end one... oh and has to have handlebar remote...

thanks

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
Brand-x ascend dropper seat post :) You'll find many happy users if you search about it on these forums. Around 150€

I went for the external one and routed it in the top tube (I had to buy a new 2xholes cable grommet). I wasn't a fan of needing to drop the motor if something went wrong with the dropper/cable (it's pretty easy to do but I don't like to deal with the cables nest when closing everything).

Here's how I routed the external one:
InkedIMG_20200131_141632_LI.jpg

1.5 years with it, crashed hard and still working, no servicing except one cable replacement.

Last edited:

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Brand-x ascend dropper seat post :) You'll find many happy users if you search about it on these forums. Around 150€

I went for the external one and routed it in the top tube (I had to buy a new 2xholes cable grommet). I wasn't a fan of needing to drop the motor if something went wrong with the dropper/cable (it's pretty easy to do but I don't like to deal with the cables nest when closing everything).

View attachment 30144

1.5 years with it, crashed hard and still working, no servicing except one cable replacement.

Could you post a picture of how you've routed the cable at the front and how you've positioned the dropper lever please :)

Jan 11, 2019
Thirsk
Could you tell us what size dropper you have used looking at the shape of the seat post it seems be short with a bend towards the bottom (size small frame)

mr wilson

Mar 22, 2020
Nairn, Scotland
I fitted a Thomson Elite covert, 125mm drop and 400mm total length if I remember. I've got a medium frame and with the operating doo dah at the bottom it just fitted and no more.
That's with the whole seat post inserted in the tube, obviously if you can leave a bit out then you'd have more room.

Jan 11, 2019
Thirsk
I fitted a Thomson Elite covert, 125mm drop and 400mm total length if I remember. I've got a medium frame and with the operating doo dah at the bottom it just fitted and no more.
That's with the whole seat post inserted in the tube, obviously if you can leave a bit out then you'd have more room.
Thanks going to order one now

doire fad

Oct 21, 2018
uk

View attachment 30144

Got a hardseven 1.0 too. Just bought a Brand-X and had a quick look at it. The dropper actuator on mine seems to sit at 180 degrees to yours (so Front LHS as opposed to Rear RHS). So I am guessing one of us is back to front but you seem to have got the seat fairly flat so I'm doing what you did!

DynamicObserver

May 4, 2020
South Wales
Got a hardseven 1.0 too. Just bought a Brand-X and had a quick look at it. The dropper actuator on mine seems to sit at 180 degrees to yours (so Front LHS as opposed to Rear RHS). So I am guessing one of us is back to front but you seem to have got the seat fairly flat so I'm doing what you did!

Finally fitted mine last night, wow!

I have the cable at the front coming in the right hand blank( the one with no cable) and its exiting left hand rear with the brake cable (had to drill another hole at an angle to get it out).

The cable goes into the actuator on mine on the left front of the seat post.

The dropper is the brand x ascend II externally routed

DynamicObserver

May 4, 2020
South Wales
Oh and my bike is a medium frame, I have the 150mm dropper and it sits flush in the frame.

150mm is a little too long for my legs, I need more like 140 but it makes it so perfect just sit up and press the button and it fits spot on

mr wilson

Mar 22, 2020
Nairn, Scotland
My Thomson is a fraction too long (or so I'm told), even when it's fully inserted but I'm planning looking for slightly shorter pedal cranks to see if that'll get it just right.
Not uncomfortable or anything, just that annoying not quite right niggle?

DynamicObserver

May 4, 2020
South Wales
My Thomson is a fraction too long (or so I'm told), even when it's fully inserted but I'm planning looking for slightly shorter pedal cranks to see if that'll get it just right.
Not uncomfortable or anything, just that annoying not quite right niggle?

Mine feels exactly that, I just don't fully extend it when I put it up, I kind of let it hit me in my natural position

Jan 11, 2019
Thirsk

I have the cable at the front coming in the right hand blank( the one with no cable) and its exiting left hand rear with the brake cable (had to drill another hole at an angle to get it out).

Any chance you can post a few pictures mate

doire fad

Oct 21, 2018
uk

I think you have the dropper in the facing the way it was designed to face.

However I found the cable actually routes better to the actuator on exit if you have rotated at 180 degrees and it's on the RHS as opposed to the LHS. The cable inlet on the RHS can actually accommodate 2x4mm holes too, so no need to drill holes. If you do it this way you can just about get the seat to be flat as you're working against the angle of the post ( see pic from Kaelidoz with flat seat).

So both ways work and I'd be very happy to have your set up too.

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium

The problem with my method is that it's fucking with the seatclamp. Right now I'm using a non QR Chromag seatclamp that I had to move slightly to the left, just to be able to close it.

It was even worse with the original QR seat clamp as I had to move it 180° around which isn't a nice experience for the frame.

All in all I think my method is shit and that I'll have to reroute everything soon.

Anyway last week my Brand-x Ascend started making scratching noises out of nowhere (almost 2 years of usage) so I had to service it. It was actually super easy.

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
Quick update, it turns out that my brand-x ascend II was facing the opposite way from the factory assembly. I just flipped it around while servicing it. Really weird.

That's why my actuator was on the rear left while my saddle/seatpost were all good. The actuator is now sitting front left.

So you can disassemble the Brand-X ascend II pretty easily and move the external actuator where it's needed on your bike.

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
Haha so true @maynard. I'm more a fan of TNG with Picard, DS9 and Voyager myself :p

It's the og command panel for the Yamaha PW. I initially meant to replace it but it's ergonomically sound and really, really robust.

IMG_20200716_013633.jpg

IMG_20200716_013709.jpg

MrPinny

May 7, 2019
Kent UK
I put an internally operated one on my hard seven, pretty straightforward job really. I think the hardest part was modifying the cable entry grommet thing for two cables and leaving it looking proper. First time I've had one and wouldn't be without it now.
Did you have to drop the motor?

MrPinny

May 7, 2019
Kent UK

View attachment 30144

can I ask where you got the 2 hole grommet?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles