Handlebar Width on Trance E

Krrr

My Gameland Road course has come to an end, with the onset of Hunting Season.
I now have moved to backup ride, Ghost Town Trail - a great Rails to Trail Run.
My problem is:
The clearance between the ends of my handlebars, Giant Contact 35 Trail, 35x780mm,
and the Cattle Gates is slim. With 10 Gates, I bounce off a couple.
Would it hurt to put on a slimmer BAR?
Great Bike!

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
If you take the grips off there’ll be marks enabling you to accurately cut it down to a length that suits you. 5 minutes with a hacksaw, or for the ultimate neatness, one of those plumbers C shaped pipe cutting tools does the job in seconds.

Krrr

If you take the grips off there’ll be marks enabling you to accurately cut it down to a length that suits you. 5 minutes with a hacksaw, or for the ultimate neatness, one of those plumbers C shaped pipe cutting tools does the job in seconds.
Thank you. I was wondering more on the engineering aspect, if shortening had an effect somewhere else. And when looking at the new Bar field, there were other considerations like angle and rise.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Yes, changing bar width changes how the bike feels and handles, as does changing the rise and/or sweep. Might be a good change or not depending on you.

Gordon

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
I usually prefer shorter handlebars... and the Giant one at 780mm is too long for me but I don't have the courage to cut it down xD

Last edited:

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I usually prefer shorter handlebars... and the Giant one at 780mm is too long for me but I don't have the courage to cut it down xD

Just take a small amount off at a time. Maybe 5mm or so off each end. I've found that, for me, 760 is the sweet spot. Now I just cut a new bar to 760 out of the box and I'm done. But it took a cheap set of bars to figure that out.

Gordon

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I replaced my stock bar with a 40mm riser bar anyway - and so I cut it a little bit at a time until it felt just right for me. I took my time to get used to each cut... I think I lopped-off 10mm and rode it for a week each time. If you replace the stock grips with lock-on grips... it's easy to remove and reinstall. I stopped at 740mm... eMTBs being heavy bikes, I wouldn't want to go too much shorter than that if I needed to. Personal preference will differ from person to person obviously...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles