Handlebar Rise

poppy

Jun 26, 2018
Gold Coast Queensland
G'day mate, i have 40mm Renthal's on mine. Think the standards are around 20mm.
20190615_122546.jpg

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
You lot have just answered my question I'm 6ft6 so wanted the front higher to help with decents and my back I'm about to order the renthals 40mm rise I've looked at others but I can get the renthals for £55.00 so bargain ? thanks lads

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
I've had my medium Trance-E for a month now and after every long ride and despite reasonable comfort, I notice a slight lower back ache and my deltoids and wrists feel like they have been subjected to excess pressure, like I am riding a bit hunched over the bars. Its not weakness as my core is solid and I train deadlift, squat and press in the gym constantly.

I am off on another longish ride tomorrow and if I feel the same at rides end, I will try a set of 40mm fatbars and see if it improves.

Mike__

Jun 16, 2019
Australia
I also have 40mm fat bars in 760mm. Standard trail sl bar is 780 wide and have a little more sweep so the renthal bar will actually sit a little further forward just something to bear in mind.

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
After another back-ache and wrist-cramped ride, I've ordered black 35mm diameter renthal fatbars, 800 wide by 40mm for £55. I may end up trimming them down a little further if the width is an issue, maybe 10 to 20mm off each end. I will retain the stock grips for now.

I think the stock handlebars are 'okay' but not quite perfect for my body, posture and riding style.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
My personal opinion is that too many people ride bikes that are too big for them (reach) and not saying you are but I think it’s a hangover from road bikes. This places too much pressure on the hands, elbows and shoulders. Sit on a modern motocross bike and see how upright and comfortable you are, they’re like sitting in an armchair nowadays. I like to be more upright because 95% of my ride supports this style and I still have no problem getting my weight forward over the bars on the steep climbs when I need to.

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Tbh I've never subscribed to the longer lower slacker thing I'm 6ft6 and I ride a 480mm reach it rides great to me I've tried nicolai geometron it's 555mm reach in xl and it felt huge also people complain about chainstays been to long the e trance has 470 but that works for someone of my size maybe if companies didn't fo one size fits all they should have different chainstays on small to xl?

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
people complain about chainstays been to long the e trance has 470 but that works for someone of my size maybe if companies didn't fo one size fits all they should have different chainstays on small to xl?

Or perhaps an adjustable chainstay length? :unsure:
Then one size could be tuned to suit..

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
My Renthal fatbars arrived today, quickly swapped over and they feel better and more natural which should ease my wrist and back pain, Sundays ride should confirm this. I may trim the width later to better suit me.

My stock "Giant contact trail" bars are a 35mm clamp, 20mm rise with 9 degree backsweep and 5 degree upsweep, 780mm width.

My new "Renthal Fatbars" are 35mm clamp, 40mm rise, 7 degree backsweep and 5 degree upsweep, 800mm width (with cutting marks). Made in Taiwan, probably alongside the Giant bars.

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
Wanted to thank you guys for leading the way w/the bar spec(y)

Loaded-in the Renthal 40mm rise bars 800mm wide & yeah, kept the bell:cool:

Going for a ride in the morn
P9060769.JPG

P9060779.JPG

Last edited:

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Fitted the 40mm aswell good help for the neck and great on very steep stuff ? love the bike nearly bought the blue one ?

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Great topic guys, I always get sore back and wrists riding my Trance 3 so have ordered some Spank Spike Race Bar with Vibrocore 800mm x 50mm raise.

Excited to fit them this weekend. ?

Wernher

May 30, 2019
Cape St Francis
I fitted Raceface 35 mm with 5 deg up an 5 deg back. I gained about 15 - 20 mm on the stock handlebars but feel that I still need a bit more, I'm considering a raiser stem, although I've become accustomed to it as it is now and I'm doing some impressive drops by my previous standards. Back ache could also be due to a seat that is too high. Try doing your seat approx 10 mm and see if it helps do it the back. I've played with my dampers and air and my socks are now really plush whilst still giving me sufficient travel without bottoming out and the feeling on my hands are greatly improved. Changing the angle and fore-aft position of the seat in conviction with the angle of the handlebars can also make a huge difference. Sometimes the highest position isn't necessarily the best for your body posture. Mine is now excellent but I'm still thinking a slightly higher front end will be better for drops and downhill stretches.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I fitted Raceface 35 mm with 5 deg up an 5 deg back. I gained about 15 - 20 mm on the stock handlebars but feel that I still need a bit more, I'm considering a raiser stem, although I've become accustomed to it as it is now and I'm doing some impressive drops by my previous standards. Back ache could also be due to a seat that is too high. Try doing your seat approx 10 mm and see if it helps do it the back. I've played with my dampers and air and my socks are now really plush whilst still giving me sufficient travel without bottoming out and the feeling on my hands are greatly improved. Changing the angle and fore-aft position of the seat in conviction with the angle of the handlebars can also make a huge difference. Sometimes the highest position isn't necessarily the best for your body posture. Mine is now excellent but I'm still thinking a slightly higher front end will be better for drops and downhill stretches.

Or chuck a 29" front wheel on!

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi can't do that on the trance 3 as the suntour aion won't take it I tried my xc bike wheel in it fits but not much clearance ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles