• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Handle bars

Hicksy 92

Nov 23, 2018
Stonesfield Oxfordshire
Hi all, I’m thinking of changing my bar and stem , either a renthal combo or burgtec , can’t make my mind up either carbon bars or alloy again , would love to know you thought .
Cheers Phil

Hicksy 92

Nov 23, 2018
Stonesfield Oxfordshire
Burgtec defiantly Burgtec. make sure you get the 35mm bars and a stem that takes that size (all the Burgtec coloured stems are for 35mm bars)

just to be fair, i am biased as I work for them. (they also give me free pizza)
I’m leaning the bergtec way, I have there flat pedals, and love them , I would definitely go 35, thanks for your reply

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
Name brand carbon @ 35mm. Carbon has a nice damp feel compared to aluminum ting. The Burgtec has a 9 degree back sweep, which I would like to try.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I’m more inclined to have the 31.8 in aluminium and whatever bar fits you best. I have renthal 35mm carbon now with a renthal stem but I just have more faith in an aluminium bar. They’re more apt to bend or have a big scratch rather than a catastrophic failure. I always like to buy a quality bar for piece of mind and carbon just seems the opposite of that. Diameter isn’t a huge concern but I think the 31.8 is more compliant. Renthal s fit me because they don’t have as much sweep so with wide shoulders my wrists(arthritis) don’t get as sore. I can’t speak to burgtec (don’t know their numbers/tech) but with carbon bars I like the idea of stems that the bars pop in with more wrap on the stem, then clamping force isn’t tensioning the bar uneven. Syntace stem was my fave but my renthal also does that. Syntace was still light but not as light as the renthal. Syntace just seems solid and I liked the 5mm bolts on it. Made it ez to tourque to spec without worry(I should have kept that one)

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
Syntace makes the best stem I've ever layed my hands on... The MegaForce 2. It might not be the prettiest, but it's amazing quality.

I imagine you'll like 9 degree backsweep. I went 9 and then 9.5 (cz38 bar) and now I want to try a bit more for the hell of it. But it's all in the wrist what works for you

Last edited:

MrWid

Nov 2, 2018
Milton Keynes
I've just swapped out mine and gone for burgtec 35mm reach stem with renthal stealth bars chopped down to 780mm

Had renthal carbon bars on my last bike and they've been through some proper abuse, crashes etc without failure. Prefer carbon over ally as it takes out some of the chatter on the fast rocky descents and less likely to get forearm fatigue
Wef+ZDsiTHqLnOgBuDT6%w.jpg

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Renthal bars = Awesome!
Renthal Stems = Shit!!!

I don't know why but my renthal stem won't stop slipping on my fork post. Tried various torques and grip agents but slips in every crash or decent knock. never had issues with my other stems. bummer cause they look sick.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Because...
Apex has very small steerer clamping surface area.
Duo doesn't have much more but it's an absolutely terrible design.
They're both pretty ugly too (but that's subjective)

their bars are ok. but nothing special.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles