Haibike Flyon chainring

Steve h

Apr 18, 2020
Chalford
Hi all, I’ve just replaced the chain on my alltrail 6 and now I’m getting a lot grinding/ crunching noise when the bike is under load! The more pressure on the pedals the worse it gets. It only been like this since I replaced the chain, so I’m thinking I need to replace the chainring? Also has anyone managed to replace the chainring without buying the special socket for doing the job? Thanks, Steve.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Daft question but have you got the chain on the correct way ie it only mates with the chain ring every other link?

I take it this is the Flyon? How did you remove the locknut without the special socket? It is only 30Nm so it could easily be removed with a centre punch and hammer If needs be.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Oops sorry, misread the post. Sounds like you need a new chain ring. If you live anywhere near Oxfordshire I have the correct socket. As I said, if you can’t get a socket to fit then a good sharp centre punch will work. Strike it on the periphery of the nut in a direction tangent to the circumference, if that makes sense? Left hand thread don’t forget.

Steve h

Apr 18, 2020
Chalford
Oops sorry, misread the post. Sounds like you need a new chain ring. If you live anywhere near Oxfordshire I have the correct socket. As I said, if you can’t get a socket to fit then a good sharp centre punch will work. Strike it on the periphery of the nut in a direction tangent to the circumference, if that makes sense? Left hand thread don’t forget.
Thanks, I had convinced myself it was the chainring! I also ordered the correct socket at the same time as the chainring! Ouch!!

paulzx14

Jun 23, 2023
UK
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd share this discovery I made somewhere on the web (it may even have been EMTB!).

You can remove the chain ring nut on the flyon using a normal 12 point 50mm socket.
This one on ebay is the exact fit...
(In fact I would suggest Haibike made it that shape for that reason, and some smart person lured us down a £70 "special tool" route just to make a few £'s!!!)

(£10.20 delivered - as of June 2023)

Just taken mine off, dead easy - it was only hand tight so no need for ratchets, 3/4" drives, etc.

As others have said make sure you turn CLOCKWISE to remove the nut (it's a LH thread).
And don't overtighten it putting it back on, mines just a 'good' hand tight fit - anything too heavy handed and you risk stripping the fine threads on the nut.

Hope that helps someone.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles