Article Haibike FLYON ALLMTN 8.0 Review

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
The Haibike FLYON ALLMTN 8.0 announced last year is just about to be released. I take it for a test ride on some of the finest trails in Italy. Was it worth the wait?

HAIBIKE sponsored the video and funded the trip to Italy. I have marked this as a Paid Partnership, Haibike had no influence over what was filmed or said about the bike.

Haibike FLYON ALLMTN 8.0 Stats:

Price £6199Travel 150F 150RWheels 29 Front 27.5 RearMotor TQ120 rated at 120Nm torqueBattery 630Wh

One thing I forgot to mention was the 10 Amp charger. It charges the bike CRAZY fast, around an hour too full. That made such a difference to the riding experience. The EXTREME mode uses the battery quick! So it’s great to be able to charge the bike back up in such a rapid time.

Continue reading...

Last edited:

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
That's a Monster Truck!

~28 kilos, 62 lb., YIKES!

470mm chainstays!

Just how low is the bottom bracket? Did you get pedal strikes?

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
It will have to be quite a machine for them to recover the market share they have pissed away while this has been going through gestation. The delivery dates on the website don’t look very promising either.
Having Sam Pilgrim & Tom Cardy riding for them is about all that is keeping their name alive in the UK.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I have had one on order since the beginning of March.......:rolleyes:

Does anyone know what actual issue is/was?
Engine mounts breaking?
Carbon frame cracking?
Engines failing after 500km?
Gearing being destroyed due to the 120Nm of torque?
Aliens stealing them as it is the fastest climbing ebike in the Universe?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I have had one on order since the beginning of March.......:rolleyes:

Does anyone know what actual issue is/was?
Engine mounts breaking?
Carbon frame cracking?
Engines failing after 500km?
Gearing being destroyed due to the 120Nm of torque?
Aliens stealing them as it is the fastest climbing ebike in the Universe?

You already climb too fast !! :)

I thought they had some carbon/frame issues .. but this could be the result of many chinese carbon whispers ..

The other reason I'm spreading about is that they said it had to be 28kg's .. Due to some confusion with the new guy (the bike only weighed in at 26) so it took 6 months to create a none toxic lead substitute to mix in with the carbon and get the weight up.

Are you going to make up some crash guards for the rear tail lights ? It's neat isn't it.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
@Kiwi in Wales it would be interesting to find out the reason. Seems odd though when other manufacturers are putting out bikes with the TQ motor. Presumably they are also using regular MTB drivetrains etc.
You and the other guys with pre-orders in are incredibly patient. All hell was breaking loose when the Decoys were a few weeks late, the Flyon is on a whole other level!
It will all be forgotten about when you are blowing the current Specialized KOM bikes into the weeds around Brechfa and doing laps up & down Snowdon?

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales

I thought they had some carbon/frame issues .. but this could be the result of many chinese carbon whispers ..

The other reason I'm spreading about is that they said it had to be 28kg's .. Due to some confusion with the new guy (the bike only weighed in at 26) so it took 6 months to create a none toxic lead substitute to mix in with the carbon and get the weight up.

Are you going to make up some crash guards for the rear tail lights ? It's neat isn't it.
I am
@Kiwi in Wales it would be interesting to find out the reason. Seems odd though when other manufacturers are putting out bikes with the TQ motor. Presumably they are also using regular MTB drivetrains etc.
You and the other guys with pre-orders in are incredibly patient. All hell was breaking loose when the Decoys were a few weeks late, the Flyon is on a whole other level!
It will all be forgotten about when you are blowing the current Specialized KOM bikes into the weeds around Brechfa and doing laps up & down Snowdon?

No crash guards needed for the bike, It’s me that needs the crash guards ?.

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
Thanks for the review.
After waiting for over a year, my Flyon is sitting at the dealers waiting for me to return from holiday! Apparently, there are none of the Flyon model specific extras available yet from Haibike such as kickstands, panniers and lights. But looking forward to trying my Alltrail 6 on some of the steeper hills around me.

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
Great review Rob!

Was really waiting for this one, as the only other bike that really tickled my fancy Vs. the levo was the Flyons... Heavy rider = wanting the most Torqu / quickest climbs...And the ALLMTN would be the closest Flyon comparable to the Levo...

Anyhow, the question is what one would choose if you diregard price and only look at performance...

My impression so far is that for Flyon the preferrable one would be the NDURO rather than the ALLMTN? While the Levo is still a whole other kind of beast really...?

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
@Kiwi in Wales Have you got a delivery date ??? Quite an exciting xmas present ! :)

1:12 Rob packs away his many aerosol paint cans with a look or artistic satisfaction on his face ..
Just the date they gave me in June which was November some time :rolleyes:
I really want to find out what the actual issue was that has taken all of this time to fix before I take the big plunge.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just the date they gave me in June which was November some time :rolleyes:
I really want to find out what the actual issue was that has taken all of this time to fix before I take the big plunge.

Would be nice to know ! I heard another rumour that they were trying to get the 2020 Vitus paint scheme designer on board, so they delayed for that .. fortunately he said no.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
If You try this ebike and you get amazed with the power, it’s gonna made you look over any other downsides, that’s all about this ebike

remosito

Aug 25, 2020
switzerland
For me it's not the power that is the almost irresistible draw of the flyon.

Matter of factly. I'd largely prefer the middle brother of the motor. Say 100/105Nm max. 550/550% High maximum support. A super eco mode and more silent, efficient as a result of being able to not maximize design/construction of motor for power.

The real draw. And the single sexiest spec I have seen on any ebike is the 0-80% charge in one hour with the fast charger.

(posting in the off chance other manufacturers stumble up on this and follow suit :) )

If You try this ebike and you get amazed with the power, it’s gonna made you look over any other downsides, that’s all about this ebike

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles