Haibike build quality

gunshot72

Jan 13, 2019
Rushden, UK
Been thinking about a Haibike. Maybe wait until the Flyon NDURO 8.0 comes out. However speaking to a dealer this weekend he claims Haibike quality is not good. He actually sells Haibike so it’s not not like he’s just trying to rubbish a competitors bike. He said two recently had to be fully refunded and sent back to Haibike because of persistent problems.

What’s frame, weld and paint quality like and what issues if any with the motor, electronics and connectors?

Gazzarn

Feb 12, 2019
Gateshead
I cant answer for the dealer but as a previous owner of one I thought it was solid with zero problems over 1000's of miles (Sduro hardseven) :) My cycling bud has done almost 10k on his Sduro fullseven 7.0 and still loves it....Ive now changed to a Turbo Levo 2019 but these have been hit with motor gremlins so no one brand is without their problems :)
Theres some amazing machines out there Bull, Focus, Canyon, Merida ect ect...the choice is getting bigger and bigger and bikes better and better . The Flyon looks like some motor though have a test blast of them all see what you think..Good luck

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
2 of my mate's have 2019 Nduros. 1 had a problem cutting out on first ride and went back to dealers for a problem with the display unit. Both have been flawless since but only about 7 weeks old.

Mar 26, 2019
Anchorage
I bought a Haibike SDURO fullseven 3.0 about 6 weeks ago to replace my old Marin East Peak (FS 26er from 2005 or so).

It’s pretty much better in every way from that old bike in terms of suspension performance, grip, and fun factor. I like the way the drive train performs and the motor, seat, tires, wheels, brakes and derailleur hardware appear to be a good balance of quality vs price. Bonus, it’s fairly light at less than 50 lbs.

That said, the front fork could be better and I imagine I’ll be replacing it in a year whether I want to or not. If I were to do it over again, I’d probably buy a fullseven 7.0 mostly for the better fork. Also, the pedals have no grip. $50 for new pedals is a must if you actually plan on riding trails. Finally, the paint seems pretty easy to scratch. It’s got a fair amount of wabbi for such a new bike.

Last edited:

Pete K2

Mar 16, 2019
FI
Just one case, but still.
Haibike Sduro AllMtn 7.0 2017, 2250 km.
Broken in road ride, not in jumps etc.
Factory wanted to get bike back. Because they havent anymore frames for this model they refund the payment.
20190319_113519.jpeg

Snoozeboy

Feb 20, 2019
Lausanne
I bought an entry level sduro hardseven 1.0 for the missus to keep up with me on my cube stereo 140. I was actually quite impressed with the quality, especially small things like the wrapping on cockpit cables to tidy things up.

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
Been thinking about a Haibike. Maybe wait until the Flyon NDURO 8.0 comes out. However speaking to a dealer this weekend he claims Haibike quality is not good. He actually sells Haibike so it’s not not like he’s just trying to rubbish a competitors bike. He said two recently had to be fully refunded and sent back to Haibike because of persistent problems.

What’s frame, weld and paint quality like and what issues if any with the motor, electronics and connectors?

After 1500 miles on my SDURO Fullseven 4.0 LT I've had a loose derailleur bolt; I think they forgot the Loctite. I've also had to re-adjust the headset and the rear hub but these seem like normal issues not related to build quality. The bottom bracket area seems a bit "industrial" but overall fit and finish of the bike is very good, in my opinion. The paint is great; at least the part of it that's not all stickered up and decaled; I'm a rolling advertisement for Haibike. No special affinity for the brand; I just got my bike at a low price on a closeout, but I'd buy another.

Stuckmojo

May 21, 2018
Newcastle, UK
Sduro 5.0, 2017 model. Other than the Yamaha motor breaking the main drive gear the bike itself is well built. Paint is rock hard and the aluminium frame looks sturdy enough.

SteveS

Aug 5, 2018
Colorado
Great thread! I actually just yesterday dropped my 2017 FullNine off at the LBS with a slipping motor. About six months into ownership, my Yamaha motor started “pinging” when I would crank on it hard. I took it in and haibike replaced the motor under warranty. The new motor is now exhibiting more significant problems- one of the gears inside is clearly stripped and it skips a few degrees when I pedal every fourth or fifth rotation. I’m really concerned about the quality of those gears.

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any thoughts on how to make the PWX motor a little bit stronger?

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
I've got a 1 year old 2018 hardtail Haibike with a PW, around 4000km with no babying. No problem so far.

eebit

Patreon
Subscriber
Sep 27, 2018
Germany
Great thread! I actually just yesterday dropped my 2017 FullNine off at the LBS with a slipping motor. About six months into ownership, my Yamaha motor started “pinging” when I would crank on it hard. I took it in and haibike replaced the motor under warranty. The new motor is now exhibiting more significant problems- one of the gears inside is clearly stripped and it skips a few degrees when I pedal every fourth or fifth rotation. I’m really concerned about the quality of those gears.

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any thoughts on how to make the PWX motor a little bit stronger?

That might be your cassette slipping if it just happens in the smallest gears, not the motor. The older models had cheap sunrace cassettes that dont last long before they slip. I had that problem before a few times. New models have better versions. You cant make the motor stronger. If you want more power, then the only significantly noticeable more powerful option with continuous Torque output is FLYON.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
I got an unsold Haibike HT 6.0 SDuro 2017. I could not be happier. It looks like Yamaha delivers more range for riding many hours with that 500 Wh and the 20 speeds is great. Generaly i hear and read positives about Haibike and Yamaha.

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
I got an unsold Haibike HT 6.0 SDuro 2017. I could not be happier. It looks like Yamaha delivers more range for riding many hours with that 500 Wh and the 20 speeds is great. Generaly i hear and read positives about Haibike and Yamaha.

Mine has a derailleur mount but no front derailleur but maybe I should add one; I switched from 38 to 34 on the front to make it better for mountain biking but that slowed down my commute a couple miles an hour because I don’t like pedal at high cadence. 38 and 32 would probably be a nice setup.

Mine just has 400 watt-hour but even that’s more than enough; I think that it will still be good even when the battery ages.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
Mine has a derailleur mount but no front derailleur but maybe I should add one; I switched from 38 to 34 on the front to make it better for mountain biking but that slowed down my commute a couple miles an hour because I don’t like pedal at high cadence. 38 and 32 would probably be a nice setup.

Mine just has 400 watt-hour but even that’s more than enough; I think that it will still be good even when the battery ages.
Ya, 400Wh is a decent amount. With a frame they often do 3 to 6 different builts for different budget. Mine came with 44-32 front and rear 11-36. I switched to an 11-42 and pedaling to the trails i am on the big 44 in the woods in i am on the small 32. Even after 4hrs i am never empty. I only have an aluminium hard tail but it is a good match for what i do.

AF360

Jul 13, 2019
Germany
However I hear that they are facing issues with the Flyon carbon frame therefore delaying delivery. Might roll into November/December or even early 2020... :cry:
The TQ Motor and the looks of the Flyon series are fantastic though.

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium
They had quite a few issues in the past, perhaps under commercial time pressure development was rushed.
- cables on the fully's eating into the frame
- exposed sensor cable under the bottom bracket (a slip of the shoe could tear it off)
I do think they have improved a lot though.
Offtopic - Haibike never really made much of a dent in the market of analog mountainbiking, but in e-bikes, they have been there from start (not being too far away from the Bosch factory perhaps helped). Premium brands like Cannondale went into the game way too late and have lost market share to (what was considered at the time) B-brands. I'm still unable to get my head around their crazy sub-segmenting of their range though.... with their names like Nduro Xduro 7.0 S XR Allmtn...

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
Well with what i have been reading and testing the Haibike is part of the good ones. I have a 2017 bought new recently and the Yamaha with 500Wh has plenty of range. I appreciate the instant power. The minor thing i did not like was 175 mm arms and for a few $ i got 165 and that bike is a keeper.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles