Haibike AllMtn 7 Chain Suck issue...

Shockabilly

Oct 6, 2020
Orbiting
Well, I've had various mountain bikes over 30+ years & occasionally suffered chain suck, however, my AllMtn7 seems to suffer dreadfully from the dreaded chain suck, especially in muddy conditions...in fact, its almost unrideable & my chain stay has gouge marks etc.

I keep my chain really clean, use wet lube as opposed to dry so chain condition isn't the issue & its sat on the right teeth.

Anyone else suffering with the same issue?

Johnny

Jan 20, 2019
Wheels05
Mine dropped the chain a couple of times last week but the mud was a terrible mixture of clay and fallen leaves. The chain stays were almost jammed up with the stuff. Pain in the backside to get the chain back on too as the chain device had to be removed.

Shockabilly

Oct 6, 2020
Orbiting
Mine dropped the chain a couple of times last week but the mud was a terrible mixture of clay and fallen leaves. The chain stays were almost jammed up with the stuff. Pain in the backside to get the chain back on too as the chain device had to be removed.
I feel your pain!

TPEHAK

Nov 23, 2020
USA Seattle WA
All bicycles can suffer from chain suck, that is very common. The question is how engineers deal with it. It is not a big issue if the swing arm is made of aluminum, chain suck will cause scratches and gauges and nothing else. But on carbon swing arm chain suck can cause structural damage of the chain stay and crack the chain stay wall. Some bicycles have the portion of the chain stay near the front chain ring made of aluminum and that aluminum portion is glued to the carbon structure of the swing arm so if the chain suck happens it just hits the aluminum portion of the chain stay.

I guess my question is what is the material of the chain stay near the front sprocket? Is it carbon or aluminum insert? If it is aluminum insert there is nothing to worry about, just cosmetic issue.

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
I think you must have been very unlucky I've ridden this bike through thick gloopy mud and all weathers and never had chainsuck once

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
I think you must have been very unlucky I've ridden this bike through thick gloopy mud and all weathers and never had chainsuck once
Some of the guys on here with Focus range of bikes have suffered chain suck(myself included), this was due to Focus supplying the bikes with a FSA chain ring, that wasn’t a 100% compatible with the 12 speed Shimano drive system. Some of the teeth are too wide for the narrow inner faces of the 12 speed chain, so the chain is forced into mesh with the teeth, then requires slight forces to un-mesh, causing chain suck. It is also highlighted by more then normal tooth wear on the chain ring. See attached info. Not too sure on the Haibike drive system, but maybe worth a check

71179288-934B-41B1-A3D0-395C0CDAF01B.jpeg

B5399A38-B8FB-4C74-9B9A-23E5D57B433C.jpeg

4E892A7A-88D1-48B6-8640-B341DC36E520.png

980BA82C-F146-48C1-8CB7-E133563DBD98.png

8D0DF84D-1F97-4EDA-BDB9-A22ADAC21D70.jpeg

Shockabilly

Oct 6, 2020
Orbiting
Some of the guys on here with Focus range of bikes have suffered chain suck(myself included), this was due to Focus supplying the bikes with a FSA chain ring, that wasn’t a 100% compatible with the 12 speed Shimano drive system. Some of the teeth are too wide for the narrow inner faces of the 12 speed chain, so the chain is forced into mesh with the teeth, then requires slight forces to un-mesh, causing chain suck. It is also highlighted by more then normal tooth wear on the chain ring. See attached info. Not too sure on the Haibike drive system, but maybe worth a check

View attachment 45838

View attachment 45839

View attachment 45840

View attachment 45841

View attachment 45842

View attachment 45838

View attachment 45839

View attachment 45840

View attachment 45841

View attachment 45842

View attachment 45838

View attachment 45839

View attachment 45840

View attachment 45841

View attachment 45842
Brilliant post TrailBob...thanks for the info & I'll have a gander

Parker

Oct 14, 2020
Derbyshire
All bicycles can suffer from chain suck, that is very common. The question is how engineers deal with it. It is not a big issue if the swing arm is made of aluminum, chain suck will cause scratches and gauges and nothing else. But on carbon swing arm chain suck can cause structural damage of the chain stay and crack the chain stay wall. Some bicycles have the portion of the chain stay near the front chain ring made of aluminum and that aluminum portion is glued to the carbon structure of the swing arm so if the chain suck happens it just hits the aluminum portion of the chain stay.

I guess my question is what is the material of the chain stay near the front sprocket? Is it carbon or aluminum insert? If it is aluminum insert there is nothing to worry about, just cosmetic issue.
Well I found out the hardware today - took my allmtn 7 around JCB testing ground and it was muddy as fook - the mud attracted the twigs and leaves and eventually caused the chain suck issue. The paint has come off on the chain stay and I can confirm aluminium is showing underneath. Just need to fund out what the Coffee colour RAL code is to touch up the paintwork.

Parker

Oct 14, 2020
Derbyshire

Well I found out the hardware today - took my allmtn 7 around JCB testing ground and it was muddy as fook - the mud attracted the twigs and leaves and eventually caused the chain suck issue. The paint has come off on the chain stay and I can confirm aluminium is showing underneath. Just need to fund out what the Coffee colour RAL code is to touch up the paintwork.
Just an update today now that it is lighter [daylight] what I thought was aluminium under the paintwork is actually a grey primer - The chain stay is actually carbon and I can see grazes where the chain has scuffed the carbon. I need to work out what to do i.e. paint over the top and how to protect this from happening again.

IMG_1459.jpg

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
use wet lube as opposed to dry so chain condition isn't the issue
IME wet lube can be as problematic as dry. If you have too much of it, and it mixes with dirt, the chain becomes very 'sticky' and this can stop the chain releasing smoothly from the chainring.

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
Just an update today now that it is lighter [daylight] what I thought was aluminium under the paintwork is actually a grey primer - The chain stay is actually carbon and I can see grazes where the chain has scuffed the carbon. I need to work out what to do i.e. paint over the top and how to protect this from happening again.

View attachment 45869
You’ve made a decent job of that. ??. You could try to stick a piece of inner tube, shaped to carry on from the factory protection that is already there. The inner tube would be thin enough to follow the contour, sticking it in place with silicone adhesive would do the job.

Shockabilly

Oct 6, 2020
Orbiting
Ouch & yes just like mine but worse...sorry about that!

Here's what I've done...it might not look pretty but it'll be better that a hole in the chain stay; basically I've wrapped a neoprene protecter under the rubber & then put zip-ties all along to add further protection.

My own belief is that the chain suck occurs in muddy conditions due to the crank continuing to turn when you stop pedalling, which wasn't a 'feature' on my previous Focus Shimano STEPS bike, perhaps its just a Yamaha motor thing?

3313AC3C-F327-458A-98B8-E19A8B59908D.jpeg
7186AFBF-8A2B-4C1C-9C62-EA175533F70A.jpeg

Last edited:

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I've had the exact same issue on my haibike with Bosch motor. I tried various of front chainrings but the only one that helped was a a chainring with x-sync. Chain haven't come off in a long time now

Parker

Oct 14, 2020
Derbyshire

View attachment 45869
Patched it up with some aluminium foil and bike protector for now - will order some carbon fibre plate protector

Joepose

Dec 5, 2020
Forest of Dean
Never heard of it until I read this thread last Tuesday. Out with the boys Wed night and mentioned this as we went through a bit (a lot) of mud.
30 seconds later horrid scraping noise and the dreaded chain suck struck - argggggh
Need to protect your swing arm peeps!

Parker

Oct 14, 2020
Derbyshire
I have added a carbon wrap with frame protector over the top slightly bigger to make contact with the frame for extra adhesion.

IMG_1494.jpg

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
Gotta ask. As i mentioned your issue to a few people. Have you set the clutch in the right position???

Parker

Oct 14, 2020
Derbyshire
Gotta ask. As i mentioned your issue to a few people. Have you set the clutch in the right position???
Yes clutch was set - issue was riding in too thick gloopy mud which in turn attracted pine needles and leaves into the jockey wheels and this locked up the chain causing the chain to bunch up between the chainring and the chain stay.

Parker

Oct 14, 2020
Derbyshire
The light looks awesome. What model is that is it the 150 lumens skybeamer?
It's a Lupine SF 1300 Lumens - plenty bright enough for trail centres. I have paired this up with a helmet light 1600 lumens and the output is about the same. I just love the way this light integrates well with the yamaha motor and light switch on the yamaha display.

jpj. 92

Oct 13, 2020
Uk
Hi all my best friend is having the same issue on his all mountain 7.. First chain changed at 300 miles as at 0.75 stretch and the front ring looks excessively worn in my opinion. The bike has been well looked after and treated correctly. The noise the chain suck is giving is horrid. And it would seem you cannot get new front rings at the moment! Discracefull! We are now looking at fitting a chain spider to accept 104 bcd rings hoping it will be easier and cheaper to source frotn rings in the future. Interesting to read shimano 12 speed chain doesn't seem to work with most 12 speed rings though?! This is turning in to a right worm hole!

RichardHawes

Oct 11, 2020
Southampton uk
Hi all my best friend is having the same issue on his all mountain 7.. First chain changed at 300 miles as at 0.75 stretch and the front ring looks excessively worn in my opinion. The bike has been well looked after and treated correctly. The noise the chain suck is giving is horrid. And it would seem you cannot get new front rings at the moment! Discracefull! We are now looking at fitting a chain spider to accept 104 bcd rings hoping it will be easier and cheaper to source frotn rings in the future. Interesting to read shimano 12 speed chain doesn't seem to work with most 12 speed rings though?! This is turning in to a right worm hole!
Please can you let us know how you get on fitting a spider, I had a look and couldn't scource one for the Allmtn 7 that sat right on the engine most i found were for the x engine not the x2.

BadgerHun7er

Jan 1, 2021
Northamptonshire, UK
I have had my Allmtn7 for 2 months and covered 350 miles in mostly wet and muddy conditions. Had chain suck problem twice now, once when new and again a few weeks ago, both times we were covered in slop. Got some big scratches to the surface finish on the carbon chainstay. Problem is rear stock tyre is 2.8 which is great but Haibike have not built in enough clearance so if you are in any of the first 3 gears the chain swipes up mud from the tyre.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles