Had my first battery error today

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
I had a *-*- - (first and third led) battery error today when I was getting ready to leave for a ride. The manual says it is a battery communications error. I Pulled the battery and it powered up fine. Plug it in a out a few times and it booted up normal. Of coarse it did the same thing once I got to the trail. This time removing the battery did not fix it, but it did make me very happy I decided to keep a key in my hydro pack.

Anyway I had a Philips screwdriver handy and pulled the motor cover. The last few rides had been very wet and muddy the power connector was surrounded by some dirt. I pulled it, blew it out and reconnected it. No more issues.

Back at home I took it apart once more and smeared some dielectric grease in there to help make a better seal. I hope it never happens again.

I wanted to share in case anyone else sees this issue.

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
I had a *-*- - (first and third led) battery error today when I was getting ready to leave for a ride. The manual says it is a battery communications error. I Pulled the battery and it powered up fine. Plug it in a out a few times and it booted up normal. Of coarse it did the same thing once I got to the trail. This time removing the battery did not fix it, but it did make me very happy I decided to keep a key in my hydro pack.

Anyway I had a Philips screwdriver handy and pulled the motor cover. The last few rides had been very wet and muddy the power connector was surrounded by some dirt. I pulled it, blew it out and reconnected it. No more issues.

Back at home I took it apart once more and smeared some dielectric grease in there to help make a better seal. I hope it never happens again.

I wanted to share in case anyone else sees this issue.
On What Bike?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Why? The external clamp mechanism for the Shimano external battery is something that should be regularly checked at any time of year, say once every couple of months. Sometimes it hasn't been adjusted properly out the box, and this is what can lead to the problem described. No different to checking your headset is tight, cranks tight etc. This issues is nothing to do with the weather, or riding in adverse conditions. My bikes look like this after most of my rides over the last 4 months, and no problems!

IMG_4673.jpeg

IMG_4269.jpeg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Sorry just to add to the OP, check the adjustment of the battery clamps, the problem you are describing is probably due to them being a bit too loose, and if you tighten up the tolerances then then dirt etc shouldn't be able to get in to terminals etc. More info in this post:

Vitus E-Sommet VR - EMTB Forums

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
Battery clamp is still nice and tight and terminals look new. The sealing is found its job. It was the battery connector at the motor that was the culprit.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles