GX Shifter on Rail 5

UVRail

Sep 13, 2020
London
Hi
I now have a SRAM Eagle GX derailleur, cassette and chain on my Rail 5. Was just about to swap out the shifter to a GX, but noticed the existing unit is marked ”e-mtb” where the new GX unit isn’t. I assume this is related to single click only... are there any issues with changing to the new GX shifter I have sat waiting? Here’s the specific model:

cheers,
UV

Rail97Rider

Jun 17, 2020
Pittsburgh
It's simply not single click. It will work fine. Having said that, a loaner I had did not have a single click shifter and when new to the bike I shifted under power and trashed the cassette. I'll stick to single click.

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
I think you could use a SLX M7100 shifter. From what I understand it mixes fine although not 100%. A google will confirm. I am using an SLX M7100 derailleur with the E-mtb SRAM shifter on a Rail 5.

I intend to switch to XT M8100 shifter, SLX M7100 cassette and M7100 derailleur as it will allow multi shift on an ebike due to hyperglide plus. At the moment just switched the derailleur.

Last edited:

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Whether the shifter is single click or allows for multiple shifts, it's never good practice to shift under load, on any bike, but especially on an e-bike, where the results can be more catastrophic, because of the extra torque involved. My bike has the Shimano 12sp, and it shifts beautifully, but I make an effort to avoid shifting under load.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles