Guided Ride, Sherwood Pines Sun 20th Oct

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
How do I attach photos?
There is a row of icons across the top of the frame when editing or posting. The one you want is to the right of the chain. Touch it with your cursor and it will say "insert image". Click on it and choose what you want to do, I always go for "or click here" then go to where my image is stored in my laptop, choose a pic and click on it, open it, whatever... And it magically appears in your post!

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
2pics
First one is JetSet wearing his big boy pants on the steep bit, and the second is 118 about to have a lie down?

3C07855F-FF4E-4A92-B4E9-AFD46BC7D097.jpeg

DE952A9B-E265-420E-B969-08EA7ECA7523.jpeg

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
Yikes! I had stricken that from my mind! That is the first time I have ridden the top bit, previously I had bottled it. Many thanks to Tunny for spotting a better line than I had been considering. It was still hard to get going as it was so steep. Even with the saddle right down I couldn't just sit on it and go. I had to rise up on the pedals and then sit, all in the fraction of a second before the bike went over the drop!
That fall caught me completely unawares, it all looked very straight forward; steep, but not technical. I was nearly home! I was told the the front wheel washed out and me with it. I ended up face down in a bramble-filled hole, head higher than my feet! :eek:
By the time I had turned over and around I was properly tangled up, hence all the thrashing of the shrubbery.:LOL:
Thanks for capturing that @ilsonmd12 :)

Perhaps you grabbed a whole load of dirt that I had left behind, when I arrived at the bottom, on my head too..:LOL: Even drew some claret, however like you said afterwards, chicks dig scars..

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
@118 yeah, that would have been it! :giggle:Despite my comment about your blooded face, I do hope that you heal perfectly, it would be a shame to damage it.

It's what's inside that counts..:LOL: Like the balletic one reminded me, it's the only gash I'll be getting tonight.. I'm not a 100% sure, what he means though..:unsure::D

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
@steve_sordy full marks for the tassels ! Lucky you didn't put them on in Wales, or you'd have ended up as the weird one tassel guy ! That's just not a good look.

And even more marks for organising what looks like an amazing day for all - AGAIN ! I think @Rob Hancill needs to add in an option to award Ride out organisers 20 forum points for a ride out and 40 points for a ride out with tassel's or fancy dress ! :)

Looks like @118 was trying to be numeric again and going for 1 1 8 does 1 8 0 ...

If I was nearer, I'd be there adding in my Browns & Reds.

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
@steve_sordy full marks for the tassels ! Lucky you didn't put them on in Wales, or you'd have ended up as the weird one tassel guy ! That's just not a good look.

And even more marks for organising what looks like an amazing day for all - AGAIN ! I think @Rob Hancill needs to add in an option to award Ride out organisers 20 forum points for a ride out and 40 points for a ride out with tassel's or fancy dress ! :)

Looks like @118 was trying to be numeric again and going for 1 1 8 does 1 8 0 ...

If I was nearer, I'd be there adding in my Browns & Reds.

8II - are you in trouble? :oops:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Was it a cat I saw?

That's just showing off .... which is how you got your first 9.5 ! :)

I think Steve deserves a 9 for "hah hah" .. after all, he's had a hard few days, a wipeout today and buying tasselled handlebar ends when with his family - for himself ...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Ok .. I'm off to sleep land .. but I raise you with your palindromic sentences and include your cat..

Weird Al Yankovic - "Bob"

I, man, am regal - a German am I
Never odd or even
If I had a hi-fi
Madam, I'm Adam
Too hot to hoot
No lemons, no melon
Too bad I hid a boot
Lisa Bonet ate no basil
Warsaw was raw
Was it a car or a cat I saw?

Rise to vote, sir
Do geese see god?
"Do nine men interpret?" "Nine men," I nod
Rats live on no evil star
Won't lovers revolt now?
Race fast, safe car
Pa's a sap
Ma is as selfless as I am
May a moody baby doom a yam?

Ah, Satan sees Natasha
No devil lived on
Lonely Tylenol
Not a banana baton
No "x" in "Nixon"
O, stone, be not so
O Geronimo, no minor ego
"Naomi," I moan
"A Toyota's a Toyota"
A dog, a panic in a pagoda

Oh no! Don Ho!
Nurse, I spy gypsies - run!
Senile felines
Now I see bees I won
UFO tofu
We panic in a pew
Oozy rat in a sanitary zoo
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!
Go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog

At least with this you can carry on your other thread Karaoke !! :)

Last edited:

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
Ok .. I'm off to sleep land .. but I raise you with your palindromic sentences and include your cat..

Weird Al Yankovic - "Bob"

I, man, am regal - a German am I
Never odd or even
If I had a hi-fi
Madam, I'm Adam
Too hot to hoot
No lemons, no melon
Too bad I hid a boot
Lisa Bonet ate no basil
Warsaw was raw
Was it a car or a cat I saw?

Rise to vote, sir
Do geese see god?
"Do nine men interpret?" "Nine men," I nod
Rats live on no evil star
Won't lovers revolt now?
Race fast, safe car
Pa's a sap
Ma is as selfless as I am
May a moody baby doom a yam?

Ah, Satan sees Natasha
No devil lived on
Lonely Tylenol
Not a banana baton
No "x" in "Nixon"
O, stone, be not so
O Geronimo, no minor ego
"Naomi," I moan
"A Toyota's a Toyota"
A dog, a panic in a pagoda

Oh no! Don Ho!
Nurse, I spy gypsies - run!
Senile felines
Now I see bees I won
UFO tofu
We panic in a pew
Oozy rat in a sanitary zoo
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!
Go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog

At least with this you can carry on your other thread Karaoke !! :)

How can that be bettered?! :geek:

j_s

Feb 4, 2020
Nottingham
Hi guys

Does anyone know how the Pines is at the moment?

Was there in January taking a bike for a demo from Voltz but not been back since.

Thanks
James

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Hi guys

Was there in January taking a bike for a demo from Voltz but not been back since.

Thanks
James

Yes, most things are open there, it re-opened on the 24th May I think:-

I still cant get there though :(

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi guys

Thanks
James
It is fully open, as are all the facilities. When I last looked, the cafe was open but only doing take away via the hatch. The red trail still has a diversion on it following the last harvest. It is a temporary diversion but it may last quite a while. The reason for that is they are planning on a big new change to the blue that will take over part of the red trail. They are just waiting for the funding. That implies that part of the funding will be something new for the red to make up for the lost section.

Trail conditions are pretty close to perfect, despite the recent rain. The only places the rain has produced any puddles are in the tracks of the harvesters, but none of the red, blue or green trails are affected.

Sherwood Pines seems to have a inexhaustible capacity to soak up rain, until suddenly it doesn't! Then its a wet day out even if it's not raining. We are months away from that yet.

j_s

Feb 4, 2020
Nottingham
Ok cheers Steve and NuLevo. NuLevo, why can't you get there?

Steve, are you planning on another tour at some point or is that unlikely due to the recent tree harvesting?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The recent tree harvesting has just altered the route that's all. However together with @ ontherail we have developed a great new off-piste ride. ontherail lives very close to the boundary of Sherwood Pines and during lockdown rode 700 miles in the area and discovered all sorts of gems in and around the desert area and Vicar Water. The area is immediately adjacent to Pines. We included @myapes on one of the later test rides and he loved it. It was then that we decided we needed to shorten it overall.

We reckon that if we start in the Vicar Water carpark, do what that area has to offer, then cross into Pines for some of what it has to offer and then return to Vicar Water we will have a varied and interesting total route, parts of which will challenge the best of us.

I haven't offered it as a guided ride yet, because I was waiting for the lockdown rules to ease a bit more. We could certainly ride around with six of us right now. But I have seen larger groups. They were all spread out though, acting like two groups of six that were actually one group of 12.

The bits that ontherail has discovered and linked together are loads of fun. There is one absolutely brilliant winding and swooping roller coaster through the woods that is 2/3 of a mile long. I defy anyone to finish it without a big grin. Then there is that long and winding singletrack climb across the gorse covered hillside, overlooking the old colliery winding gear.

I can't wait! :)

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
A number of reasons @j_s, the main one being physically transporting the bike, although I have a rack, I'm not certain it will take the weight of the Levo, and it's the only rack available for the car. Then there's my ability to actually ride off road at the moment, I took a tumble a couple of months ago and still have shoulder pain (still waiting for a scan appointment), so at the moment I'm riding local green lanes and bridle ways to stay fit(ish!).

Also, until I bought the Levo in December, I hadn't ridden an mtb for almost 30 years, so I really need to get some off roading skills back, which ironically I can't do until I get to some trails. It's not all doom and gloom though, I'm loving the bike and getting fit, hopefully it won't be too long before I pluck up the courage to try the rack and get to some trails. Sherwood Pines is the place I've wanted to get to since I got the Levo, and I've heard @steve_sordy's ride are legendary, so I'd like to get to them.

j_s

Feb 4, 2020
Nottingham
@steve_sordy , I'm only on Hucknall so give everyone a shout when you want to do another ride out

@NULevo , fair enough mate. I'm trying to get the time in on my non emtbs to get fitter that way. Also look up calf raises and squat jumps to build up your legs more for instant power. How far away are you from Sherwood Pines?

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
@steve_sordy , I'm only on Hucknall so give everyone a shout when you want to do another ride out

@NULevo , fair enough mate. I'm trying to get the time in on my non emtbs to get fitter that way. Also look up calf raises and squat jumps to build up your legs more for instant power. How far away are you from Sherwood Pines?

I'm near Bingham, about 20 miles from Sherwood Pines, I'm not doing too bad at the moment, 2-3 rides of 24-30 miles a week. pretty flat around here though.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles