Guided Ride, Sherwood Pines Sun 20th Oct

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm near Bingham, about 20 miles from Sherwood Pines, I'm not doing too bad at the moment, 2-3 rides of 24-30 miles a week. pretty flat around here though.
Pines is widely believed to be pretty flat too, and compared to the Peak District it is. The difference between the lowest and highest places I can find at Pines is about 115m, but you will do that many times. I hosted a guy who's local was Dalby Forest; he had been venting about how flat Pines was vs Dalby. So I invited him down for the day. He was breathing out of his arse after 20 mins. But when we venture out of Pines and across the desert, we will be adding a whole new bit of elevation. Wait for it, wait for it....it's going to be at least another 30-50m! Whoop Whoop!! And you will feel it.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Pines is widely believed to be pretty flat too, and compared to the Peak District it is. The difference between the lowest and highest places I can find at Pines is about 115m, but you will do that many times. I hosted a guy who's local was Dalby Forest; he had been venting about how flat Pines was vs Dalby. So I invited him down for the day. He was breathing out of his arse after 20 mins. But when we venture out of Pines and across the desert, we will be adding a whole new bit of elevation. Wait for it, wait for it....it's going to be at least another 30-50m! Whoop Whoop!! And you will feel it.

Thanks Steve, thats useful, tbh Pines might be the best place for me to start as it might allow me to get some technical skill back. I've been out of it for so long I feel like a beginner again and think I need a fair bit of practice before getting into the rough stuff.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks Steve, thats useful, tbh Pines might be the best place for me to start as it might allow me to get some technical skill back. I've been out of it for so long I feel like a beginner again and think I need a fair bit of practice before getting into the rough stuff.
I think the Blue trail is a very good example of its kind, I ride bits of it all the time. It has fast flowing single track and a fair few technical bits that can get beginners/improvers clenching their buttocks rather firmly. The Red actually meets the standard for a red, but is one of the easier reds around. But that doesn't mean its not fun, and the faster you go the more fun it is. Pay attention though or it will bite!
There are a few places where the red and the blue come very close to each other and you can easily swap from one to the other to make a longer route that is more interesting than doing one after the other. I'm thinking of post 8 on the red, I can't recall what the nearest blue post to that is. Look out for it, so that you can recognise the location, irrespective of which trail you are riding at the time.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I think the Blue trail is a very good example of its kind, I ride bits of it all the time. It has fast flowing single track and a fair few technical bits that can get beginners/improvers clenching their buttocks rather firmly. The Red actually meets the standard for a red, but is one of the easier reds around. But that doesn't mean its not fun, and the faster you go the more fun it is. Pay attention though or it will bite!
There are a few places where the red and the blue come very close to each other and you can easily swap from one to the other to make a longer route that is more interesting than doing one after the other. I'm thinking of post 8 on the red, I can't recall what the nearest blue post to that is. Look out for it, so that you can recognise the location, irrespective of which trail you are riding at the time.

Thanks Steve, thats helpful. I hope to get there soon, before it gets busy with the school holidays, when I imagine it's like skeggy on a weekend.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks Steve, thats helpful. I hope to get there soon, before it gets busy with the school holidays, when I imagine it's like skeggy on a weekend.
The carparks can get busy, but they just overflow into the various fields that they use for the purpose. When its really busy, the fields, the area of the cafe, the kids play area, and 100 yards around can be heaving with people . But within a few minutes I can be alone for the rest of my ride. Even on the popular bike trails it is unusual for them to feel busy. Mind you, the first weekend after lockdown was eased, it was a bit like Piccadilly Circus with all those folk trying out their new bikes, mostly without wearing a helmet!

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
The carparks can get busy, but they just overflow into the various fields that they use for the purpose. When its really busy, the fields, the area of the cafe, the kids play area, and 100 yards around can be heaving with people . But within a few minutes I can be alone for the rest of my ride. Even on the popular bike trails it is unusual for them to feel busy. Mind you, the first weekend after lockdown was eased, it was a bit like Piccadilly Circus with all those folk trying out their new bikes, mostly without wearing a helmet!

Exactly what I wouldn't like, since the lockdown, the only times I've been out of the house is for my rides, and to see the doctor.

Do you think elbow and knee protection is needed on the trails?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Exactly what I wouldn't like, since the lockdown, the only times I've been out of the house is for my rides, and to see the doctor.

Do you think elbow and knee protection is needed on the trails?
I always wear elbow guards and knee&shin guards too. They stop nettle stings, bramble tears and come in handy when I fall off. I lost a lot of skin, got unsightly scars and still have shoulder problems from the times when I thought I was too poor a rider to be wearing body armour. The fact is that beginners are more likely to fall off and therefore most need the protection that any sort of armour can give you. Wear the armour, nobody will give you a second glance. If it gives you a bit more confidence to attack the corner at speed then go for it! :)

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I always wear elbow guards and knee&shin guards too. They stop nettle stings, bramble tears and come in handy when I fall off. I lost a lot of skin, got unsightly scars and still have shoulder problems from the times when I thought I was too poor a rider to be wearing body armour. The fact is that beginners are more likely to fall off and therefore most need the protection that any sort of armour can give you. Wear the armour, nobody will give you a second glance. If it gives you a bit more confidence to attack the corner at speed then go for it! :)

Thanks, I'll look at getting some elbow/knee/shin pads before I go. I didn't think I needed anything until I took a the tumble thats still causing pain.

I'll have a look at whats available at a reasonable price. I just don't want to end up with all the gear and no idea :eek:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks, I'll look at getting some elbow/knee/shin pads before I go. I didn't think I needed anything until I took a the tumble thats still causing pain.

I'll have a look at whats available at a reasonable price. I just don't want to end up with all the gear and no idea :eek:
In my opinion, you don't need plastic hard faced armour. Get something flexible and breathable, something that they advertise or the reviews say that you can wear all day. Some pull on over your feet/hands and rely on elasticity to stay up; they are usually of the "wear all day" variety. Others strap on and stay on by strap tension. They are handy for convenience. In my opinion, neither type work when worn over your clothing, they must be in contact with the skin.

I use the Troy Lee Designs Shock Doctor range, but sadly they have recently stopped making them. Some websites still sell it but in restricted sizes. I'm sure that TLD will have a close alternative, I just haven't taken the time to find out what it is yet. I would ask on the Forum for recommendations, that will save you a lot of time looking and maybe a lot of expensive experience before you find what you like. I went through two expensive types before I spotted a mate wearing the TLD stuff.

Last edited:

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
In my opinion, you don't need plastic hard faced armour. Get something flexible and breathable, something that they advertise or the reviews say that you can wear all day. Some pull on over your feet/hands and rely on elasticity to stay up; they are usually of the "wear all day" variety. Others strap on and stay on by strap tension. They are handy or convenience. In my opinion, neither type work when worn over your clothing, they must be in contact with the skin.

I use the Troy Lee Designs Shock Doctor range, but sadly they have recently stopped making them. Some websites still sell it but in restricted sizes. I'm sure that TLD will have a close alternative, I just haven't taken the time to find out what it is yet. I would ask on the Forum for recommendations, that will save you a lot of time looking and maybe a lot of expensive experience before you find what you like. I went through two expensive types before I spotted a mate wearing the TLD stuff.

I'll have a look and post tomorrow I think, I'd want something thats thin enough to wear under shorts/trousers and long sleeves. There's so much choice, it's making my brain hurt.

j_s

Feb 4, 2020
Nottingham
I've got POC elbow pads and they are quite comfortable. I think I have raceface knee pads but I was limited for knee pads due to my tree trunk legs. I also have endura socks with built in light shin and ankle guards, can always look at ski or snowboard socks though.

Just ride and take it easy to start with. I came off at Sherwood pines back in 2013 on a late summer ride on the red, I was on my Specialized Hardrock pro hardtail, it was a straight bit and I still don't know how I did it, hurt my leg and arms and still had to finish the red as I was with someone and I didn't want to admit the pain I was in. We had also ridden from Hucknall so not only did I finish the red I still had to ride back the 16-17 miles. I didn't ride for a couple of years after that and only this year did a skills course at Dalby forest that my other half bought for me on 2014.

I've also ridden the red flat out since with another friend who was an amateur downhill racer, he can absolutely cain the trails, both on fitness and skill. The red is tough when you are pedalling hell for leather trying to keep up that you get tired and then don't have as much fun due to the fatigue. The trek rail I took for a demo on the red changed that completely. I was giving it some the entire way round laughing my head off. I could really attack the trail and point and shoot as it were.

You'll be fine, I can't see anyone judging you if you decide to take it easy on anything that gives you concern.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I've got POC elbow pads and they are quite comfortable. I think I have raceface knee pads but I was limited for knee pads due to my tree trunk legs. I also have endura socks with built in light shin and ankle guards, can always look at ski or snowboard socks though.

Just ride and take it easy to start with. I came off at Sherwood pines back in 2013 on a late summer ride on the red, I was on my Specialized Hardrock pro hardtail, it was a straight bit and I still don't know how I did it, hurt my leg and arms and still had to finish the red as I was with someone and I didn't want to admit the pain I was in. We had also ridden from Hucknall so not only did I finish the red I still had to ride back the 16-17 miles. I didn't ride for a couple of years after that and only this year did a skills course at Dalby forest that my other half bought for me on 2014.

I've also ridden the red flat out since with another friend who was an amateur downhill racer, he can absolutely cain the trails, both on fitness and skill. The red is tough when you are pedalling hell for leather trying to keep up that you get tired and then don't have as much fun due to the fatigue. The trek rail I took for a demo on the red changed that completely. I was giving it some the entire way round laughing my head off. I could really attack the trail and point and shoot as it were.

You'll be fine, I can't see anyone judging you if you decide to take it easy on anything that gives you concern.

Thanks for your reply j_s, I'll have a look at those, and others.

Looks like there's some good weather on the way so I might look at venturing further :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles