grinding / crunching noise with new chain

peterk

Jan 11, 2020
Canada
2020 Stance-e

After about 900 km of use and 0.75% chain wear, I changed the original chain with a ChainReaction 10 spd "black" non-e specific chain. The bike immediately made this awful grinding sound when any pressure was applied to the pedals. I think from the chainring, which I think is steel. The noise diminished a bit with use but is still there with pedal pressure. I made sure the chain was positioned for the narrow-wide chainring. The bike continued to shift fine with no skipping. I was fearful that something in the motor came apart so I put on the original chain and the noise disappeared. Phew! I put the new chain on and it is still making the noise. It seems that it is not releasing smoothly from the chainring when I look down while pedaling

I can't imagine that the steel chainring needs replacing so soon. Is there anything special about e-specific chains that a normal chain is missing.

Thanks.

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
Ive done a chain replacement as well at approx 900 miles. I bought the proper E-specific chain. But when i installed it, the chain was skipping as well. It was the smallest (high gear) in the rear cassette. That small chain ring takes the worst beating & was distorted. Installed a new rear cassette & all is well

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I replaced my chain after 900-1000 as soon as it showed 0.75 wear.

cassette was fine, no skipping with new chain but bike was not rideable because the front chainring would not accept the new chain. Terrible grinding noise and chain suck. It’s the small Bosch chainring. Once I flipped the chainring over to the reverse side all was well.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Agree with above. .75 seems to be too much on your setup. I generally swap chains as soon as I can get the .5 gauge in, unless I plan on killing them both (cassette and chain) as a pairing.

I generally get 3 or 4 chains cycled through before the CR starts sucking.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
sounds worn past the point of a new chain running smoothly on it.
put your old chain back on and run the entire drivetrain until it slips.
Then replace ring, chain and cassette together.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles