Greetings from Malaysia

Mavik

Jan 4, 2019
Malaysia
im from malaysia too.. JB... we got 2 giant trance E+ and 1 Scott egenius 920..where are u located?
In KL over here. Wow Giants and Scott! Rare indeed, we mostly see Levo's and Kenevos here in KL at Kiara and Putrajaya.

Mavik

Jan 4, 2019
Malaysia
Hi,
I'm living in Singapore and looking to buy my first eMTB.
May I ask where you found yours? It's true the options are rather limited here...
Thank you!
If you are in Singapore, they don't sell it there because it is banned there. Over here in Malaysia there aren't any restrictions on eMTB so our local Specialized shops sell them here. I have spoken to the Specialized Asia Pacific team whose headquarters are in Singapore and that is what they shared that eMTB aren't allowed in Singapore.

Mavik

Jan 4, 2019
Malaysia
Hi,
I'm living in Singapore and looking to buy my first eMTB.
May I ask where you found yours? It's true the options are rather limited here...
Thank you!
Alternatively as well, I do know of Singaporeans who leave their Turbo Levo and Kenevo in Malaysia (near Bukit Kiara) and then make trips up to KL to ride them.

cedric406

Dec 19, 2019
singapore
Thank you!
After a bit of research I found that e-bikes are actually allowed in Singapore and can be used on the roads and park connectors.

But the catch is that to be LTA approved, the bike needs to be less than 20kg, which in practice is like a ban on real e-bikes...

That's quite disappointing... I was planning to use an eMTB for my daily commute instead of using taxis but that won't be possible.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Thank you!
After a bit of research I found that e-bikes are actually allowed in Singapore and can be used on the roads and park connectors.

But the catch is that to be LTA approved, the bike needs to be less than 20kg, which in practice is like a ban on real e-bikes...

That's quite disappointing... I was planning to use an eMTB for my daily commute instead of using taxis but that won't be possible.
Do they work the weight based on what the manufacturer says ? or do you take a bike to them for testing ?

If you can take the bike, there are a couple which should just get you there weight wise if you swap tyres out and things temporarily.

If it's manufacturers, there's a few who blatantly lie about weights and state under 20kg's. I take it you want FS not a Hardtail ?

cedric406

Dec 19, 2019
singapore
It looks like the bike needs to be brought for testing so that the model can be approved.
I would be happy with a hardtail but I don't want to spend too much either.
Thanks for the tip anyway, I will try to find which model is not too far away from the 20kg to see if it is worth trying...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles