• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered GPS Tracking option?

eBikeLife

Jan 19, 2019
Bulgaria
Hi.
Hope you all having a great day.
I have been looking into getting a GPS tracker for my bike, so as if it gets stolen i can locate it.
The only options i could find comes with a approx 350 euro price tag. Feeling the pain in my wallet just thinking about that!.. Was hoping maybe one of yiu have some ideas where i can get something that is wallet friendly + effective.
6 months ago i got a non mtb stolen and i dont want it to happen with my new ebike.

Thanks in advance :)

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
I keep looking at the maths for GPS trackers and it doesnt stack up.

Better to spend the money on two good locks, maybe security marking, and insurance. I dont want to be chasing down perps if my bike is stolen. I'd rather be on the phone to my insurer, busted Sold Secure Gold lock in hand, making my claim.

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
Hi.
Hope you all having a great day.
I have been looking into getting a GPS tracker for my bike, so as if it gets stolen i can locate it.
The only options i could find comes with a approx 350 euro price tag. Feeling the pain in my wallet just thinking about that!.. Was hoping maybe one of yiu have some ideas where i can get something that is wallet friendly + effective.
6 months ago i got a non mtb stolen and i dont want it to happen with my new ebike.

Thanks in advance :)
might want to check out halfords super cheap version.. 15 quid

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Halford's Immobitag is not GPS. It's a tagging device. It allows the police to 'read' who owns the bike if they find it, a bit like how you can also tag your pets... Unfortunately it doesn't allow you to find you bike on a map!

I'm all for tagging (either immobitag or the microdot type) as a relatively cheap deterrent...

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
Halford's Immobitag is not GPS. It's a tagging device. It allows the police to 'read' who owns the bike if they find it, a bit like how you can also tag your pets... Unfortunately it doesn't allow you to find you bike on a map!

I'm all for tagging (either immobitag or the microdot type) as a relatively cheap deterrent...
ah, thats the reason its 20x cheaper, lol :-D

eBikeLife

Jan 19, 2019
Bulgaria
I keep looking at the maths for GPS trackers and it doesnt stack up.

Better to spend the money on two good locks, maybe security marking, and insurance. I dont want to be chasing down perps if my bike is stolen. I'd rather be on the phone to my insurer, busted Sold Secure Gold lock in hand, making my claim.

I already got insurance, but the issue is that i am 100% sure that my insurance will complain if my bike gets stolen, since its been less than a year since last time.
I bought an apartment in Sunny beach, Bulgaria, and love to ride there, but the fucking gypsies steal everything they can get their hands on, so hate to leave the bike outside a shop for more than 5 minutes.
I just bought an alarm that locks on the wheel, and i hope will help some.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I thought that looked OK until I saw that the battery life is only 7 days. I just know that the day it goes missing is the day after I forget to charge it up!

Also, if the Police fail to get their act together within 7 days (very likely in the UK), then you lose the signal.

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
£150 for the possible pleasure of going to negotiate for your bike back from some Bulgarian thieves?

Unless the locals carry battery powered circular saws, I still vote to spend the cash on a couple of gold-rated dlocks.

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
£150 for the possible pleasure of going to negotiate for your bike back from some Bulgarian thieves?

Unless the locals carry battery powered circular saws, I still vote to spend the cash on a couple of gold-rated dlocks.
not gonna lie, I read your last line as "gold plated dildo" first time around... and didn't think it was such a bad suggestion :/

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Wish | New Mini Wireless Smart Anti-Lost Tracker GPS Locator Alarm Tag Tracker for Key Phone Wallet Pet
Found this. Seems to the best option, and the battery works for 5-6 months.
Maybe not perfect, but for the price its worth to test it so i ordered it.

That looks like it is just using bluetooth? So you'd have to be close to it for the connection to work. Your phone probably just remembers the last GPS location when it had a connection. So if the tag is moved by someone else then you won't be able to find it again.

eBikeLife

Jan 19, 2019
Bulgaria
That looks like it is just using bluetooth? So you'd have to be close to it for the connection to work. Your phone probably just remembers the last GPS location when it had a connection. So if the tag is moved by someone else then you won't be able to find it again.
YOu are absolutely correct.

I now got this (also).
Its wifi, with a sim card, so your online and can track via Google map or something similar..
Minicargpslocatoradsorptionrecordingantilostdevicevoicecontrolcanrecordgf07 | Wish Standby time on battery is 12 days. Seems there is not really any perfect solutions for this. Yo can buy something same as the device i link to, that connects to your battery with cable, so you never need to change battery, but 99% sure it break the warranty.
Maybe the best option is just accept the possibility of theft, and make sure the insurance covers.

Rich_F21316

Oct 6, 2018
DORSET, United Kingdom
many years ago i got a spybike tracker which fits in the steerer tube, it was supposed to last i think 3 months on one charge but it barely lasted over a week. i think this was due to it being in my garage with no mobile coverage so it was constantly scanning trying to lock onto a signal, pretty useless unless i remembered to charge it every week! i think the shirlock tracker is basically the same thing with a woefully underpowered battery.
My bike is insured but i would also like to know if the worst was to happen, the police would know who has it. It is quite often a small number to criminals which accounts for a huge number of crime so if i could do my bit to rid them of our streets, i would rather do what i can.
I have been looking at this tracker for a while but don't want to be a guinea pig as so many trackers seem to miss the mark. Maybe Rob could get in touch with the company and get a freebee to test out? my main concerns are what will the signal be like hidden in an aluminium frame and although it is powered off the bikes battery, does it have its own battery for when the bikes battery is away from the bike on charge?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles