GPS Tracking & Bike Locks

Marf83

May 7, 2019
Derby
Hi Guys,

(I searched by couldn’t find anything on here already)

Do any of you use gps tracking as a way of finding your bike (in the event of theft)?

The thought of leaving my (not even collected yet) Levo fills me with dread. I really didn’t think that I would ever do this, however we are thinking of booking Centre Parcs for next month & a) the Levo is my only bike b) I would love to take it.

Are there any locks that actually prevent theft or are they simply just a deterrent?

I was looking at one of these:

9DB428D0-1834-4956-8653-016B047423DF.png

As I like the idea of it being wearable. Unfortunately I have now seen videos of these being cropped in half in about 15 seconds, so not feeling that comfortable anymore.

What do you guys use?

Thanks in advance.

Marf83

May 7, 2019
Derby
I have just come across ‘Litelok Theft Protection’...does anyone have any experience of this. It would appear to be an insurance policy that will replace your bike if it is stolen whilst you are using one of their locks. Seems very good if it can be taken in face value.

Marf83

May 7, 2019
Derby
At Center Parcs, keep it indoors in your accommodation overnight.
100% that won’t be an issue, I was thinking more about when I might need to park it up to go in some shops or something or do an activity...I can’t resist the paint balling.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Bikeradar did a comprehensive test at a purpose designed test facility. Locks were tested for lock picking cutting levering etc and also corrosion. Conclusions were that chains and anchors eere best for storage..e.g. garage but the best are too heavy to carry so for portable use D Locks are best. You get what you pay for with locks. Best chain type was Hiplock Homie at £85. Best D Lock was ABUS Extreme at £166. Almost as good and a lot cheaper was ABUS Granit X Plus at £90.
I dont need a portable one so I am using the Hiplock. I also use a Tractive gps tracker.

Marf83

May 7, 2019
Derby
Bikeradar did a comprehensive test at a purpose designed test facility. Locks were tested for lock picking cutting levering etc and also corrosion. Conclusions were that chains and anchors eere best for storage..e.g. garage but the best are too heavy to carry so for portable use D Locks are best. You get what you pay for with locks. Best chain type was Hiplock Homie at £85. Best D Lock was ABUS Extreme at £166. Almost as good and a lot cheaper was ABUS Granit X Plus at £90.
I dont need a portable one so I am using the Hiplock. I also use a Tractive gps tracker.
Hi Mikerb, that’s great thanks. I picked my bike up on Saturday & have been out everyday since. I am properly paranoid every time I get off it & when I’m on it for that matter haha

The wearable ones do look a bit useless (except as a slight deterrent).

Tractive??? As in the dog gps. I know a few people who use them for their Cockers when they’re rough shooting. Where do you hide it?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Hi Mikerb, that’s great thanks. I picked my bike up on Saturday & have been out everyday since. I am properly paranoid every time I get off it & when I’m on it for that matter haha

The wearable ones do look a bit useless (except as a slight deterrent).

Tractive??? As in the dog gps. I know a few people who use them for their Cockers when they’re rough shooting. Where do you hide it?
Well it needs to be out of sight ...secure enough not to fall off if the bike is moved....and relatively easy to get at because it needs recharging every 4/5 days ....other than that its my secret!

Marf83

May 7, 2019
Derby
Well it needs to be out of sight ...secure enough not to fall off if the bike is moved....and relatively easy to get at because it needs recharging every 4/5 days ....other than that its my secret!
Sorry mate, I’ve just realised how silly a question that was haha

ortizfugh

Jul 18, 2021
UK
I use this GPS protection belt to track my bike in case of theft. They are quite traincic, at least mine has never been cut, even though many have tried this. My problem is that I lost mine in the mountains and later when I made the order the delivery service still did not deliver my order. Later I had to make another order from the same site, but already through another delivery platform, this time through sendungsverfolgung. To my great amazement, since I had no more nadejde, the Belt arrived in a rather short and qualitative time. If you are not satisfied with this you can try a double protection, it can be safer and more pleasant to you.

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
I use this GPS protection belt to track my bike in case of theft. They are quite traincic, at least mine has never been cut, even though many have tried this. My problem is that I lost mine in the mountains and later when I made the order the delivery service still did not deliver my order. Later I had to make another order from the same site, but already through another delivery platform, this time through sendungsverfolgung. To my great amazement, since I had no more nadejde, the Belt arrived in a rather short and qualitative time. If you are not satisfied with this you can try a double protection, it can be safer and more pleasant to you.

I’m sorry if this is a stupid question but how can you have a GPS anti theft belt, but you lost it whilst out?? Seems pointless if you can’t track it?

wagonrd

Dec 22, 2020
Roseville, CA
Hi Guys,

(I searched by couldn’t find anything on here already)

Do any of you use gps tracking as a way of finding your bike (in the event of theft)?

The thought of leaving my (not even collected yet) Levo fills me with dread. I really didn’t think that I would ever do this, however we are thinking of booking Centre Parcs for next month & a) the Levo is my only bike b) I would love to take it.

Are there any locks that actually prevent theft or are they simply just a deterrent?

I was looking at one of these:

View attachment 13941

As I like the idea of it being wearable. Unfortunately I have now seen videos of these being cropped in half in about 15 seconds, so not feeling that comfortable anymore.

What do you guys use?

Thanks in advance.
I have just about every theft deterrent for my Specialized Levo Turbo Comp; and have found that carrying all that stuff turns me into an overweight tank, seriously degrading my ability to traverse difficult terrain. So, I'm down to only two lightweight theft deterrents: 1) A 15 mm wrench to remove the pedals, and 2) a disc brake lock. My main deterrent is to never leave my bike, and that includes the toilet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles