Got a new EBike, Anyone familiar with hydraulic Brake systems, Rotor Sizes etc.

FrodoBaggins2021

Nov 26, 2021
Massachusetts
Here is the new bike, But My rear rotors are squealing like a pig, and as you can see they are only being halfway utilized. Do you think the rotors are 1 size to small? Its an Ecotric Seagull 1000w...
Just got it, it came like this, I didn't touch the back side. But there is no way in gods green earth that rear brake set up is correct.
Anyone familiar with this? BTW I do love the bike it is really cool, really fun.
rear rotors 1.jpg
rear rotors 2.jpg
ebike pic.jpg

FrodoBaggins2021

Nov 26, 2021
Massachusetts
Stop double-posting your questions!!!!!!!!

Well my bad Jerry, I just figured that the original post was in the newbie introductory section. And I have about 6 days to make a decision on this bike. And I really need some expertise quickly. So I figured I would ask the question in its proper forum. I should have just said hello in the introductory forum... I do apologize for repeating the same question twice. If you want, you can delete the introductory post and I can redo introductions. And just leave this post instead.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
That's not right, either the rotor is too small or the caliper mount adapter is too big.

Take it back to where it was bought from and get them to fix it under warranty.

FrodoBaggins2021

Nov 26, 2021
Massachusetts
That's not right, either the rotor is too small or the caliper mount adapter is too big.

Take it back to where it was bought from and get them to fix it under warranty.
See thats what I think... but I have to box it back up and resend it, and that is a major pain in the ass. Honestly I think I would rather have them just tell me what to do. So far they have given me the cold shoulder, on this issue. They have tech support and I know they know what they are doing. I called them today no call back but its the busiest shopping day of the year. So I will call them again.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Possible the caliper mount adaptor is fitted the wrong way round, you could try and flip it round and see if that sorts it?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Here is the new bike, But My rear rotors are squealing like a pig, and as you can see they are only being halfway utilized. Do you think the rotors are 1 size to small? Its an Ecotric Seagull 1000w...
Just got it, it came like this, I didn't touch the back side. But there is no way in gods green earth that rear brake set up is correct.
Anyone familiar with this? BTW I do love the bike it is really cool, really fun.
View attachment 76854 View attachment 76855 View attachment 76853
That rear caliper looks like it’s almost touching the hub motor too which can’t be right.

The kind of bike you have isn’t something we really see on the Forum so you may not find anyone familiar with it, but it’s definitely running either the wrong rotor or adapter, or been put together badly.

mid you don’t have the necessary mechanical knowledge I would avoid attempting to fix it your self simply because there a lot going on at the rear end of your bike due to the motors location, that is done incorrectly could result in either you or the bike getting damaged, simon would definitely get a shop to look at it.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I think you nailed ir @R120.
@FrodoBaggins20 - you need to loosen the rear quick release, push down to reseat then tighten up. Where I marked in red usually matches up.
1638004056713.jpeg

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Also looking at the rear of the bike, it’s not running a through axles which essentially locks the wheel assembly in a fixed position, but a conventional drop out.

it looks like the wheel isn’t located fully up in the drop out, which could also cause the issue.

View attachment 76868
Well spotted, the most likely reason

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
And if that doesn't fully cure it, the outboard pad in the caliper is pushing against the rotor (blue). Slacken off the caliper mount bolts (red), centre the caliper & re-tighten.

rear rotors 2.jpg

FrodoBaggins2021

Nov 26, 2021
Massachusetts
I think you nailed ir @R120.
@FrodoBaggins20 - you need to loosen the rear quick release, push down to reseat then tighten up. Where I marked in red usually matches up.
View attachment 76870
Hmm, not sure I will try to loosen up the nuts and reseat it, There is no quick release off the back wheel unless I am misunderstanding you. That wheel is bolted on. I can loosen give it a try. Here is a picture of the axle on both sides.

I would be surprised if that wasn't seated correctly.

I am going to compare adapters from front and rear they are both 160mm rotors see if they are the same size

Circled adapter and caliper washers.jpg

derailleur side.jpg

FrodoBaggins2021

Nov 26, 2021
Massachusetts
These are Shimano adapters and my adapter on the rear of the bike is for a 180mm Rotor. They are the same shape and most likely size.
I think that this is the issue, wrong adapter.
Screenshot (136).png

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium
you've been given excellent advise on what is most likely the cause.... have you even tried following it???

FrodoBaggins2021

Nov 26, 2021
Massachusetts
change the adapter, and the brake will likely touch the motor, it's a tight fit as it is.
Fixed the rear brakes, they had wrong adapter on the rear rotor. And seemingly had the stock adapter turned around. Bought a 160mm rear IS Shimano rear adapter. Problem solved.

Just in case anyone gets the same issue, thats the fix

20211210_180128.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles