GoPro Hero 7 Black

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Just seen this video by @steviedsolve which he uploaded to Google Drive: CannockSamAllMTNQuickEdit.mp4 (from Join Us! EMTB Forums Rideout - Cannock Chase, 14th October - EMTB Forums)

There is no pixelization at all on that compared to YouTube - can actually see the surface of the trail which is nice :) I guess that's because it is dedicated storage rather than on YouTube's servers with their compression?

Is there a way to embed Google Drive / OneDrive / DropBox files on the forum so they show as videos rather than just a link?

Tried this embed code but it didn't work:
<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/19P4XCortVrsvk3o7eIU2WVcs1oaPd1IV/preview" width="640" height="480"></iframe>

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
Ok so is this my go on the Gopro Hero 7 black.
Recorded in 2.7k superview at 60fps and Max ISO at 800. Edited in DaVinci Resolve.

You thoughts? Not for my shit riding but the video :p

Last edited:

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Ok so is this my go on the Gopro Hero 7 black.
Recorded in 2.7k superview at 60fps and Max ISO at 800. Edited in DaVinci Resolve.

You thoughts? Not for my shit riding but the video :p

Well the music had me from the start, so that's good :) Looks like some great countryside there!

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
@Rob Hancill hey mate tried the link for the battery's in the first post but it says they do not deliver to UK. Do you have any other suggestions if battery's I can buy for the hero 7 as will probably need a spare in the future. Cheers mate.

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
@Rob Hancill hey mate tried the link for the battery's in the first post but it says they do not deliver to UK. Do you have any other suggestions if battery's I can buy for the hero 7 as will probably need a spare in the future. Cheers mate.
I ordered the same ones from Robs link this morning with out any problems mate.
98739A75-3195-49D4-B71E-CD1CFFE69E28.png

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
One thing I would be very interested in is how everybody sorts through there footage when they get home? Also how you guys record? Do you record in long videos and just keep recording and then split the video up when at home. Or just record minute long videos when it's something you feel worth while. Both these methods are a bit labouring after a ride.

I find if I end up recording the smaller clips I have about 25 clips to sort through when I get home and that's not including any drone footage I may have took.

But then I find it just as bad trying to slip 15 minute videos up and finding the best bits in them. Also at this time length there really big files...6-7gb.

So what's your guys methods? Any tips @Rob Hancill . Sort rib I know I keep tagging you but your the main creator here and I'm very interested in the creating videos thing ?

UKPHOTO

May 21, 2018
United Kingdom
One thing I would be very interested in is how everybody sorts through there footage when they get home? Also how you guys record? Do you record in long videos and just keep recording and then split the video up when at home. Or just record minute long videos when it's something you feel worth while. Both these methods are a bit labouring after a ride.

I find if I end up recording the smaller clips I have about 25 clips to sort through when I get home and that's not including any drone footage I may have took.

But then I find it just as bad trying to slip 15 minute videos up and finding the best bits in them. Also at this time length there really big files...6-7gb.

So what's your guys methods? Any tips @Rob Hancill . Sort rib I know I keep tagging you but your the main creator here and I'm very interested in the creating videos thing ?
Filming in general is a 1 to 10 rule, that's 1min used footage from every 10.
There's nothing simple nor a shortcut to good immersive footage sadly.
When I film in my day job I often have multiple cameras on the go and it's a constant juggling act. Throw large gimbals like my Freefly Movi into the mix and it gets insane quickly.
I never let a camera just "run on", but that's a film throwback when footage cost money, but I do always "overshoot" as in start and finish before and after I think I'll need the footage.
First person action footage is rather an odd fellow. It can be pretty boring watching someone's journey with little to no B roll to explain the environment, feeling and story, but that all takes planning, time and lots of post work when many want to strap on a single camera, go for a ride and be done with it (nothing wrong with that mind, just not very immersive).

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Filming in general is a 1 to 10 rule, that's 1min used footage from every 10.
There's nothing simple nor a shortcut to good immersive footage sadly.
When I film in my day job I often have multiple cameras on the go and it's a constant juggling act. Throw large gimbals like my Freefly Movi into the mix and it gets insane quickly.
I never let a camera just "run on", but that's a film throwback when footage cost money, but I do always "overshoot" as in start and finish before and after I think I'll need the footage.
First person action footage is rather an odd fellow. It can be pretty boring watching someone's journey with little to no B roll to explain the environment, feeling and story, but that all takes planning, time and lots of post work when many want to strap on a single camera, go for a ride and be done with it (nothing wrong with that mind, just not very immersive).
Really good reply. Can you explain how you would get a B roll in action footage. Like a drone with a completely different shot? Or like having action split up by immersive environmental slow shots? Also seems as this seems like your profession and that your very knowledgeable do you have any action videos to share and learn from ??.

Cheers ?

UKPHOTO

May 21, 2018
United Kingdom
Really good reply. Can you explain how you would get a B roll in action footage. Like a drone with a completely different shot? Or like having action split up by immersive environmental slow shots? Also seems as this seems like your profession and that your very knowledgeable do you have any action videos to share and learn from ??.

Cheers ?
B roll is more like footage to add to the story. A drone would work but think about what it adds, tells us rather than just a "cool flying shot". This is why filming is VERY time consuming. Imagine finding a nice natural berm which will throw up dirt or perhaps (now as its autumn in northern hemisphere) leaves. You might then need to stop, peddle back, set camera for static shot at low level. But then do you want to speed ramping the footage, slow it down mid slide? Or just go with the low angle? Do you want some dirt/leaves etc to hit the camera for a bit of drama? It's all what makes the sequence yours and shows your creativeness.
I guess what I'm saying is a plan is really good idea to make something more than the typical "this is my view riding a trail". I hated "storyboarding" in Uni but with filming it really is helpful.
Understand it also takes a looooong time.
I'm a professional photographer by trade, but as most cameras have good video capabilities these days many clients request video elements also.
I'll see what I can fish out but my action stuff has mainly been stills thus far and filming more for clients or doc work for channels.
One small clip highlighting a camera comes to mind (includes a bike ride) which I'll try and find. It was shot by a very cool US production company and hopefully will show bit of what I mean.
Attached is what I get upto (and may be making a film of this season).

FB_IMG_1513184353796.jpg

Charlton62.jpg

UKPHOTO

May 21, 2018
United Kingdom

Cheers ?

Check this short film out (no it's obviously not a GoPro but the idea of telling a tale is same in all filming),

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Check this short film out (no it's obviously not a GoPro but the idea of telling a tale is same in all filming),

Again great reply and I take on board what you say. I am not a pro rider but I love riding whatever my skill level. I want to make about 3 minute clips with music . I'm going to take on board your advice and use it. Instead of just turning the camera on at top of a hill I'll maybe film me having my breakfast in the morning before the ride and then getting ready and then leaving the house and getting bike out of shed. Only about 5 second clips each running up to the action. I completely agree with you about being time consuming. On my other channel it's took me half an hour to film something that's literally been 3 seconds worth of footage in one of my videos.

But maybe instead of just throwing out 4 videos a week off chest mount footage maybe 1 video a week or every 2 weeks of quality thought out video is the way to go. Cheers man!

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Anyone here want to buy my GoPro hero 6 black. 2 months old perfect condition £140. Just have no need for it now but a good camera for that price still ?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I try to capture as little as possible whilst getting enough to give a good feel for what it is that I'm doing. GoPro footage is tedious to edit (and watch back mostly!). I used to record hours worth of stuff, now I record only about 30 mins of footage, that I plan out in my head, and talk to the camera.

Reactions: Dax

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Really good reply. Can you explain how you would get a B roll in action footage.

We usually send someone on ahead, give them a couple of minutes head start, they film us riding a nice section, then catch up and swap around. I've always used action cam footage as filler between static shots, it's generally quite tedious to watch back. I've noticed I really only watch youtube gopro stuff if I like the personality (Rob, seth, etc) or am scouting for trails

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Anyone use the removou cover. Just got mine today and currently a tad bit disappointed. Thought it would be cut out at the back too so have access to LCD screen. I like quick access to the GoPro to quickly watch back a tape and make sure everything looks ok. Anyone cut the back out of there removou or any tips with them?

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
You can mirror GoPro screen on your phone in the gopro app . This way you can view what you camera views , also if you have an Apple Watch you can use that as a remote for your gopro.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
ive been up the lakes at the weekend and have some footage, just downloaded to to laptop but its only playing the sound.
laptops ancient win 7, obviously im not savvy with these things so any help would be good.
ta

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
ive been up the lakes at the weekend and have some footage, just downloaded to to laptop but its only playing the sound.
laptops ancient win 7, obviously im not savvy with these things so any help would be good.
ta
On all of the clips? I’ve had a couple where vid has frozen only sound. That’s buggy firmware.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles