GoPro Hero 7 Black

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Such a shame that YouTube causes all that pixelization when you are moving fast on the bike. It looks much better at the end when you do the run test and aren't moving so fast.

I'm wondering if Vimeo might look better and if anyone has tried it?
Yeh I agree. If you watch it on the actual YouTube app and not the link in the box it does look better. But still not perfect. It is a shame that YouTube compresses so much.

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
Yeh I agree. If you watch it on the actual YouTube app and not the link in the box it does look better. But still not perfect. It is a shame that YouTube compresses so much.
Anything you watch on vimeo is top notch......but is not free

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds

New GoPro Hero 7 footage from this morning's ride. Messed around with the ISO settings and a few other bits. Seems to be a bit better. Really impressed with the stabilization...not impressed with YouTube though. The music in the video is my own music, I play piano and guitar and it's a piano piece I wrote. If anyone needs any music for there videos I have a fair few pieces recorded ?

Also it does look 10x better using the actual YouTube app or webpage and not from the link in the forum's.

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
That looks amazing mate. Could you share your settings? Wouldn't mind giving them a try (y)

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
That looks amazing mate. Could you share your settings? Wouldn't mind giving them a try (y)
Cheers mate! To me it's still not perfect but a hell of alot better than what I was getting haha. Yes so I watched a couple of YouTube videos and basically changed sharpness down to medium. Filmed in 2.7k superview at 60fps and Max ISO at 800. Then in post processing i create the video to desktop in 4k and then upload to youtube. Still got to figure out the perfect settings but I'm so happy with this camera. I know everyone's saying it's not a gimble killer....but that's only if you want a magic carpet ride effect. For me it's stable enough for me to never wear my gimbal again and that means ALOT to me and my setup ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Way better @Bongofish... talented fingers too.

how long did it take you to edit that?
and how experienced with editting film do you have to be?

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
Cheers mate! To me it's still not perfect but a hell of alot better than what I was getting haha. Yes so I watched a couple of YouTube videos and basically changed sharpness down to medium. Filmed in 2.7k superview at 60fps and Max ISO at 800. Then in post processing i create the video to desktop in 4k and then upload to youtube. Still got to figure out the perfect settings but I'm so happy with this camera. I know everyone's saying it's not a gimble killer....but that's only if you want a magic carpet ride effect. For me it's stable enough for me to never wear my gimbal again and that means ALOT to me and my setup ?
Many thanks fella.
The GP7 gimbal, for me is the most realistic look on any bike video I seeing so far. Full gimbal some times makes the ride look artificial and difficult to even notice any jumps or rough ground.
Still to go out with mine, as I only had it for few days, so still playing with settings. But so far, it looks just the job (y)

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Way better @Bongofish... talented fingers too.

how long did it take you to edit that?
and how experienced with editting film do you have to be?
Literally took me about half an hour and im very in experienced. Hopefully my videos will get better and better. I started to realize that it was a good idea to know what I wanted in the film before even leaving the house...e.g walking the camera next to the lake,slow motion of birds flying or flapping...I also got some really good footage of using a long selfie stick and riding with one hand and holding that close to the ground next to from tyre or a downhill bit. Looks really effective but forgot to include that in the clip ???. With the stabilization being 10x better than the hero 6 it's really opened up opportunity to film in different ways and still have it look good. ?

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Many thanks fella.
The GP7 gimbal, for me is the most realistic look on any bike video I seeing so far. Full gimbal some times makes the ride look artificial and difficult to even notice any jumps or rough ground.
Still to go out with mine, as I only had it for few days, so still playing with settings. But so far, it looks just the job (y)
Don't forget to post here once you've gone out with it. Love seeing other people's videos and what they do and there settings etc etc!

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
How much do Gopro do in terms of ongoing firmware updates to sort out the issues? I'm holding off buying one until I sell my DSLR but presumably the only difference to later ones out of the factory is that they'll have any updates done in house so would imagine it makes no real difference? I'm also not keen on shelling out nearly £400 on a product that doesn't get ongoing support and development if it has issues out of the box.

There's two answers to that question:

1. They release quite a lot of updates.
2. But not enough to actually solve many of the problems!

As I noted above, Hero6 has been out a while and even with updates there's still several problems with it...

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Nice @Bongofish :)

YouTube is difficult to get the best looking stuff. The more data on screen the more the YT compressions. (faster action and more stuff happening usually = higher data rate). That's why steady, slow shots and head talking shots look really good, vs faster MTB action looks poor in comparison. This is because YouTube uses bitrate compressions.

Som, for example, your talking head shot may have a bit rate of 35 Mbps and YouTube might compress it down to 20 Mbps (these are just examples btw). Fast moving MTB footage might have a bit rate as high as 60 Mbps and YouTube again will compress it down, lets say down to 20 Mbps, so you're then losing a huge chunk of data from your fast moving shots. That's where you see lower quality / pixels and blocky images.

Next up comes how you actually watch it back. Chrome on a computer I have found to be the best, and the Samsung Smart TV app is better than the Apple TV for handling this higher resolution fast stuff.

TLDR; YouTube compresses stuff and makes it look shit. Sometimes it can come out looking good though ?

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Nice @Bongofish :)

YouTube is difficult to get the best looking stuff. The more data on screen the more the YT compressions. (faster action and more stuff happening usually = higher data rate). That's why steady, slow shots and head talking shots look really good, vs faster MTB action looks poor in comparison. This is because YouTube uses bitrate compressions.

Som, for example, your talking head shot may have a bit rate of 35 Mbps and YouTube might compress it down to 20 Mbps (these are just examples btw). Fast moving MTB footage might have a bit rate as high as 60 Mbps and YouTube again will compress it down, lets say down to 20 Mbps, so you're then losing a huge chunk of data from your fast moving shots. That's where you see lower quality / pixels and blocky images.

Next up comes how you actually watch it back. Chrome on a computer I have found to be the best, and the Samsung Smart TV app is better than the Apple TV for handling this higher resolution fast stuff.

TLDR; YouTube compresses stuff and makes it look shit. Sometimes it can come out looking good though ?

That's why I film in 1440p (4:3) but still output my file as a 4K/50Mbps. Even if you're working in HD it's worth pushing out a 4K render just to give your viewers have the option of the higher bit rate. You Tube's 4K looks way better than 1080p for fast moving action.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
That's why I film in 1440p (4:3) but still output my file as a 4K/50Mbps. Even if you're working in HD it's worth pushing out a 4K render just to give your viewers have the option of the higher bit rate. You Tube's 4K looks way better than 1080p for fast moving action.
Nice :)

I'm experimenting with Compressor on a Mac to create a custom YouTube 4K setting, that will limit the bitrate to 45 Mbps in line with YouTube recommended settings for uploads. (GoPro Hero 7 records up to 78 Mbps in 4K 60 and it records my vids at 60 Mbps in 4K 30). Hopefully this will limit the amount of compression that YT applies... Will post the same video here that I uploaded in the opening post to compare, as soon as its processed by YT.

Last edited:

Flogbox

Sep 25, 2018
Sass81sass81
45mbps for youtube for 4k output.
I've got cameras that output 380mbps and i output 45mbps for youtube. Social media quality makes camera quality somewhat redundant.

Vegetation is the hardest on codecs. You then add us on MTB belting through vegatation and it crumbles under compression. Add colour grading on top and the image degrades further. Static shots and slow moving stuff have far better quality than fast moving as the codec isn't working as hard.

GOPRO7 is definitely getting there. The only real downfall is it can't handle micro jitters which will ruin a lot of MTB footage. I'm not a fan of how the stabilisation 'swims' around the sensor to stabilise as it makes me feel like i'm on a boat sometimes. I will grab one for my next MTB trip and use to mount on my helmet or on my back (rear view of other riders). I won't replace my gimbal setup with the 7 because i want a stable image from that view.

Hopefully i've linked my footage ok. Hero 4 with a gimbal.

Last edited:

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
As *someone* pointed out on YT (too lazy to find the link) one thing you get with a gimbal that the Hero7 simply cant do is that a gimbal will always point the camera at the horizontal. So even if your body/head points up/down as you ride, the gimbal points the camera forward.

IMHO I can live without that for a smaller rig. Shooting 4:3 on my Hero6 gives me enough latitude to crop on the vertical if I or the chesty isn't quite pointing in the right direction.

Where the Hero6 falls over is that the EIS doesn't 'look ahead' enough: It smooths out a bit of motion but a big move then forces the Hero6 to skip to a reset position to catch up. I assume from what little we know about how the Hero7 works (it's got more memory, apparently) means it's buffering more of the video to then determine a smooth pan between frames for more natural EIS, by looking 'further ahead' to whats coming.

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
Hi rob what’s your preferred editing software
I also run a Mac book pro , I’m no expert on it so I’m after a pretty easy program to use.
Any advice would be much appreciated Thanks chris

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
I also run a Mac book pro , I’m no expert on it so I’m after a pretty easy program to use.
If I remember correctly Rob said he uses Final Cut Pro X. I use the same on my Mac and it's great and easy to use (y)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK

Watch in Chrome (definitely not Safari on Mac).

This is output at 45 Mbps which is the maximum bitrate for YouTube at this frame rate.

Yes as above, I use Final Cut Pro. Really easy and pretty quick, but its not the cheapest (think its £249).

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Lumafusion on the iPad Pro. For the win.
How do you get footage from the GoPro to the iPad? I have the iPad air 2 and never thought about using it. Are they even fast enough for proper video editing and can you convert a 2.7k into 4k easy enough?

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
How do you get footage from the GoPro to the iPad? I have the iPad air 2 and never thought about using it. Are they even fast enough for proper video editing and can you convert a 2.7k into 4k easy enough?

Either with a Lightening to SD card reader (I have a cheap 3rd party one that works fine) or Wifi connection to the GoPro using the GoPro app (slow, but handy when you havent got the SD card adapter).

Actually, there's a third way too. If it's a video file I've already copied off to my PC, I'll pull them down from Dropbox or my NAS. Lumafusion can pull files from either, straight in to the app.

I mostly use 2.7K (4:3) files from the GoPro. Edits fine. And can output in 4K no problem.

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
I have this. I just find it far too fiddly, compared to mouse/trackpad, for the finer details.

Yeah? Pencil helps a bit, but I've had no probs in general. For me, I'm more productive if I can pick up my iPad over coffee or lunch and do a bit of editing. If you've time to spend in front of a PC/Mac to knock stuff out, then it's their ergonomics (and faster render times) that will improve productivity.

EDIT: Actually I know what you mean. The value controls in the edit adjustments pages are a pain to use. Fix them please, Lumafusion.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Just bought one today, never owned one before as I thought they were too much a chew on .
What are good settings for mtb & enduro moto riding so I don't have to do it again.
Also I assumed it would come with a way of attaching to my mtb lid but only 2 adhesive motorbike helmet mounts. There's plenty of accessories on eBay but are they any good?
Any links etc. Would be great.
Cheers

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I had a huge pack of mounts from Ebay including chesty, head, moto, bike, suction and quick release mounts (33 pieces/mounts in total) for about £11 when I had a go pro. All of them were as good quality as my mate's genuine Gopro pieces.
I'm useless with any kind of camera (but considering getting a GP7) so lastnight I watched a jordanboostmaster youtube video where he explained all his settings and why he uses what he does and in which light conditions etc.. Thought it was very informative.
I'll try and find you a link

Here you go:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Shit !
That's more than I need to know, I hope I don't bump into him in the boozer?
Quick, watch this nice short version...
...and you can tell him you've watched his extended settings video, buy him a beer and change the subject ;)

The loamranger on youtube has some good (shorter) settings/editing/processing tips videos you might be able to cope with easier too ;)
[MEDIA]

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles