Good day David here from Wisper Bikes

David Miall

Jan 29, 2019
Kemsing Kent UK
Hi David here, I founded Wisper Electric bikes back in 2005 and am today the company’s MD. I’m pretty active on Pedelecs forum, today I received a PM from a member telling me that there had been some discussion here on our eMTBs. If I can answer any questions please feel free to ask.

All the best, David

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Hi David, welcome to the forum. Can you publish a geometry chart please?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Hi David - glad to have you onboard! We are aware that you are putting out EMTB's now, and being a UK company there is definitely interest in what you are doing, but not much info so would be great to hear about what you are up to - I was looking fro info the other day on the EMTB you had at Eurobike, but nothing yet on your website aside from the existing models?

David Miall

Jan 29, 2019
Kemsing Kent UK
Hi Rob, good to meet you too. We have experienced a little resistance from our existing dealers with the new Wolf and Wildcat eMTBs. Although they all agreed that the bikes are good, well designed and well specced and they know our back up service is second to none, the issue is that Wisper isn't a known brand in the MTB market... even though we've been selling electric bikes for nearly 14 years now. We have sold most of the 2018 bikes and as yet have not had any issues either here or in New Zealand where the bikes are doing very well. The in-frame model is ready to go but before we push the button, being a small business, I would like to sell at least another 20 or 30 of the existing bikes. To this end we will be making the bikes available directly to the end user later this week. There are only a few to sell and now I have discovered this site I would like to make them available here and on Pedalecs first. By way of a paid advertisement of course! If anyone has an interest and would like to be put on the list please let me know. More details are available here... New eMTB - Wisper Bikes

IMG_1331.jpg

Thanks for your interest, all the best, David

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Thanks David.

A couple of observations - I think you have a big opportunity by interacting with the members on here to aid in the development/next steps of what you do with a Wisper EMTB.

Firstly you should definitely try and get a demo bike to @Rob Hancill to test, if nothing else the popularity of his reivews/vids on youtube will garner the bike a lot of attention.

Secondly where Emtb's develop form here is at quite an interesting point right now.

I know the newer model of the bike has an integrated (but I take still easily removable?) battery, but a fair few of us have concluded that the external batteries on the Shimano system are actually the better solution, mainly because its super easy to swap out for a spare, the size makes it very easy to carry a spare, and the design means the weight of the battery on the bike is more centralised/lower, and the external battery weighs less overall.

Also we have noticed on several bikes that integrating the battery means beefing up the downtube, which adds weight to the bike. You have managed to get a good weight of 21.5kg for the bike, but if going integrated means going up in weight, it might be a back wards step.

Of course this is somewhat negated if the integrated battery has a bigger capacity, and the fact that the integrated batteries tend to look better.

Basically what we are all looking for is more range and less weight!

Also a lot of us are now moving away from Plus Tyres, an settling on a 2.5 or similar, simply because you dont actually need a massive rear tyre in terms of grip, just a good rear tyre for the conditions you ride in. The ability to run 29'r wheels on bikes is also an attractive option to some.

A lot of us are riding coil shocks too out back, so the ability to run one would be good.

My family has quite a long history with Ebikes, mainly older generations, but the interesting thing about Emtb's is that aside from the obvious market of older folks being able to keep on the trails, the real growth is in riders seeing the benefits of fitting more runs in, and using the bikes like they use their normal bikes, and expecting them to perform on the trail/bike parks like their old bike, and I think more and more of us are looking for a bike that handles well as a priority.

Sorry bit of a ramble, but I think its very exciting to have you on here, and I am sure we would all like to see Wisper as a brand do well with any EMTB!

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Hi David here, I founded Wisper Electric bikes back in 2005 and am today the company’s MD. I’m pretty active on Pedelecs forum, today I received a PM from a member telling me that there had been some discussion here on our eMTBs. If I can answer any questions please feel free to ask.

All the best, David

Great to see a manufacturer here! Welcome!

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
I’ll be watching this thread with interest - welcome David.

I agree with a lot of R120 says but it’s horses for courses as I for one am happy to forsake the benefits of an external battery in favour of the clean look of an integrated version.

Looking forward to seeing the new model soon...

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
I tried the Wolf and Wildcat at the NEC and liked them a lot actually. Not badly specced and I really like the geometry of them. Most of my riding is long distance in the saddle type of riding and compared to my levo, they were super comfy to ride in the saddle. Like other's i'll keep my eyes peeled here. :)

I second the idea of getting Rob to test and review one. This market and forum will only grow so that'd be a good avenue to explore.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I tried the Wolf and Wildcat at the NEC and liked them a lot actually. Not badly specced and I really like the geometry of them. Most of my riding is long distance in the saddle type of riding and compared to my levo, they were super comfy to ride in the saddle. Like other's i'll keep my eyes peeled here. :)

I second the idea of getting Rob to test and review one. This market and forum will only grow so that'd be a good avenue to explore.
+1. I also rode the bike at the NEC and it felt good, though really it should have been in the MTB area not the one for commuter/road ebikes. However, having told us there is a new bike coming I suspect you may have a challenge selling those 20-30 existing ones, at least to members of this this forum!

David Miall

Jan 29, 2019
Kemsing Kent UK
Hi Rob, Stumpy, NickleJ and Matty,

Rob, thanks for your in-depth response, I have made contact with Rob Hancil and we will certainly arrange a bike for review. I am I correct in calling you both Rob?

The newer battery is both internal and removable, it looks a lot neater however I have sympathy with those who prefer the on-frame battery, it makes practical sense to me too. It's much like the argument for Centre Motors against Rear Hub. Whilst the Centre Motor is obviously a better choice for eMTBs, IMO the rear hub is superior when it comes to powering a City and Trekking bike. On both subjects it's very much down to personal preference, and what's currently in vogue.

Stumpy here's the new model for you.

220eb26b-49fd-43c2-9233-2b702814e903.jpg

Thanks for your kind comments on the bikes when you both tried them at the NEC, we did get them onto the main eMTB track but the Bosch representative got us kicked off! I cant blame him as Bosch were the sponsors for that track. I'm not at all worried about selling the bikes we have in stock, the new bikes wont be ready until the end of this season and will be more expensive.

Interesting to read comments re 2.5" tyres and coils, we will certainly take these points into consideration, it makes complete sense.

We are also tuning in to the Adventure bike market, a more simple bike, not as Tech as a full eMTB, but strong with our new 100Nm centre motor, a huge market for those who want to go off road but wont be doing any serious down hill! I'll post images later next week, they can even fit, a stand, mudguards and a rack or two.

Doomanic, please see our web site where the full geo charts have been re-posted.

Wildcat Full Sus
Wildcat Carbon - Wisper Bikes

Wolf Hard Tail
Wolf Carbon - Wisper Bikes

All the best to you all, have a great weekend!

David

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Hi David - alas I am not a Rob as well, just a plain old R120!

The new bike looks great and thanks for the response. Is there anywhere we can see it in the flesh?

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
View attachment 10375

Doomanic, please see our web site where the full geo charts have been re-posted.

Wildcat Full Sus
Wildcat Carbon - Wisper Bikes

Wolf Hard Tail
Wolf Carbon - Wisper Bikes
David, that new model looks great, but unfortunately if it has the same geo as the current model it is rather short and upright for a 150mm trail bike these days. You may want to complete the key for the rest of the geo chart too, as some of the letters are not marked on the diagram:

1549041261651.png

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
Hi David. I'm in New Zealand (Wellington) and really like the look of your upcoming 2019 model. I currently have a Focus Jam2 so you can see why I like the look of your bike. Our climate here is generally a bit warmer and drier than yours so not being able to remove the battery and keep it warm is not really a factor. I'm a big fan of the integrated look and to be fair so are most of my mates. Also having owned and ridden both 27.5 and 29 inch manual bikes, I personally prefer the 27.5 plus (that's why I bought one). So I guess its hard to please everybody all the time as we all have different preferences. I can say that if your new bike had been around when I purchased my Focus, I would definitely have considered it. At first glance, the only change I would make is larger battery capacity. Again though, this just suits me personally as being an ex "roadie" I like long endurance rides and that was a factor in selecting the Focus and additional TEC pack. Some of my rides are 80 to 110 km.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
One other thing David, I know you have used the Fazua system in your new road bike, and a lot of us are really interested in the new La Pierre E-Zesty, and Bulls Wildflow that use the same system but in Trail/Enduro bikes - have you any plans to bring out an MTB with the Fazua system?

David Miall

Jan 29, 2019
Kemsing Kent UK
One other thing David, I know you have used the Fazua system in your new road bike, and a lot of us are really interested in the new La Pierre E-Zesty, and Bulls Wildflow that use the same system but in Trail/Enduro bikes - have you any plans to bring out an MTB with the Fazua system?

Hi R120, simply put, probably not. We feel it’s OK on a Road Bike but doesn’t have the “grunt” for eMTB use, also the current battery capacity wouldn’t be ideal for a day on the trails. The upside is a rider can remove the battery and motor in a few seconds to convert their eMTB into a vanilla bike and Visa Versa. With the motor and battery removed, the crank assy. then only uses 5% of the rider’s effort to turn and the bike weighs under a KG more than a standard MTB. It’s a great concept and I am sure many riders will like and take advantage of these unique features.

There is a new generation of lighter, more powerful traditional centre motors around the corner. We currently have a new Chinese model on trial which develops 140Nm. Perfect for getting a rider back to the top of the trail. The down side of course is it eats up the battery Wh. We feel this will be better suited for eMTB use.

All the best, David

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
Hi David,

The new wildcat looks awesome & I wish you well. All I will say is get some trusted reviews out there & some better geo info on your website, I was so close to buying one of your Emtb's but the lack of reviews ultimately put me off, it's hard to spend that sort of money on the unknown.

All the best.

bikerider007

Nov 7, 2018
Norfolk

All the best, David

Hello and Welcome David. An idea could be to bring a couple of bikes to one of the ride outs that we hold once a month and let the people decide ... you might get some coverts with last years model that are looking to change it up with a british bike or moving to new model..
just a idea..
well thats my 2p..

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I had seen a few whisper bikes locally , from the local shop . Chatting to a person riding one , he remarked the hire shop had told him they cost around 6k . I have to say I pretty much dismissed the bike after hearing that and looking at the spec as it stood in front of me . It wasn’t until I looked them up on the net that I realised the price was reflected by a carbon frame . I thought that unusual to offer a carbon frame , but no alloy frame . I think a lot of riders are put off by carbon or consider it pointless in an ebike , or even an enduro bike .

David Miall

Jan 29, 2019
Kemsing Kent UK

Hello and Welcome David. An idea could be to bring a couple of bikes to one of the ride outs that we hold once a month and let the people decide ... you might get some coverts with last years model that are looking to change it up with a british bike or moving to new model..
just a idea..
well thats my 2p..

Thanks BikeRider,

How can I find out more about the ride outs, we would love to be there.

All the best, David

David Miall

Jan 29, 2019
Kemsing Kent UK
I had seen a few whisper bikes locally , from the local shop . Chatting to a person riding one , he remarked the hire shop had told him they cost around 6k . I have to say I pretty much dismissed the bike after hearing that and looking at the spec as it stood in front of me . It wasn’t until I looked them up on the net that I realised the price was reflected by a carbon frame . I thought that unusual to offer a carbon frame , but no alloy frame . I think a lot of riders are put off by carbon or consider it pointless in an ebike , or even an enduro bike .

Hi Kernow, thanks for your message. We sell a lot of city and trekking bikes but they start from £1,249! They are all built on alloy frames. The eMTBs were developed by our National Sales Manager Jeremy Crook who used to train with the Team GB team and race Road Bikes. He specced the bikes and made the decision to go with the carbon frames, he feels the handling is improved mainly because of the stiffness of the frames, of course the weight helps too.

We will be bringing the bikes to one of the Forums rideouts soon, if you are there you would be more than welcome to try one.

All the best, David

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
Hi Kernow, thanks for your message. We sell a lot of city and trekking bikes but they start from £1,249! They are all built on alloy frames. The eMTBs were developed by our National Sales Manager Jeremy Crook who used to train with the Team GB team and race Road Bikes. He specced the bikes and made the decision to go with the carbon frames, he feels the handling is improved mainly because of the stiffness of the frames, of course the weight helps too.

We will be bringing the bikes to one of the Forums rideouts soon, if you are there you would be more than welcome to try one.

All the best, David
I have to say I really like the proactive approach that you take David for selling and putting forward your bikes. I don't think too may people would hop on a forum, find out about groups rides and bring bikes along. That's wicked! Wish you guys all the best!

David Miall

Jan 29, 2019
Kemsing Kent UK
I have to say I really like the proactive approach that you take David for selling and putting forward your bikes. I don't think too may people would hop on a forum, find out about groups rides and bring bikes along. That's wicked! Wish you guys all the best!

Thanks Nicklej, we are a small UK firm based in Kent, we’re not just bike developers and sellers, we love what we do. We are very fortunate to get paid for having a such a great hobby!!! We took our bikes to FoD last year. We intend to join in a lot more this year.

All the best, David

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk

All the best, David
I’ve already put a few friends on to hiring them locally , they are after an ebike in general , so yours is there to test right away , it’s a good way of getting your bikes out there our only other local choice is an aging Levo to hire from spesh dealer but when they compare with the other bikes on a ride no one buys one because they are so underpowered and underspecced . I think an alloy whisper would sell very well and possibly compete with vitus and canyon etc with the added attraction of buying British ,

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
@David Miall - I randomly cam across this article when looking for something, and saw in it that you mention a company called AMPS, and the possibility of seeing Emtb frame sets?

This is something a lot of us on here would love to see, I for example would be very interested in buying the frameset of your existing model, as I have all the parts including motor to swap over, far more than buying a full bike.

https://cyclingindustry.news/wisper-brings-its-high-end-electric-bike-assembly-back-to-uk/

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles